Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highlander swords (again)

Highlander swords (again)

Sorry to bring up these old chestnuts but despite having a PPK on order and knowing full well that its far superior a sword to the Marto Duncan sword, I still find myself wanting a Highlander replica! Does anyone feel like talking me down, or indeed up?

Secondly, whilst the Sword of the Dragon is about as authentic as it gets (as in, used in the series itself), I can't seem to track down Connor's sword in comparable quality. I can fend off my desire to get the Duncan sword as I've always been an H1 fan at heart, but a decent Connor wallhanger might just sway me.

I've owned both the Sword of Duncan and the Sword of the Dragon myself, nothing wrong with that

Never been a fan of the Chinese dragon on Connor's sword though-just me. Anyway here's a link to one on ebay right now Sword of Connor

Good Luck!
    "To the man who only has a hammer in the toolkit, every problem looks like a nail."
    ---Abraham Maslow

It's not the edge of the world, but I can see it from here...

Tongue-in-Cheek

I never take much interest in movie swords because I've reconciled myself to the fact that I am personally much cooler than any movie or TV character.

Am I walking around pretending to be Duncan MacLeod? Let's get one thing straight: actor Adrian Paul makes his living pretending to be one of the likes of me, not the other way 'round...

Thanks Todd, somehow I missed that last time I skimmed Ebay. I know what you mean about the dragon, I'm starting to prefer Duncan's. I also like the fact that it was actually used in the series. I have found one for $100 but of course being in the UK I have to add mucho shipping/vat/customs charges.

Meanwhile, my PPK hasn't even arrived yet!

I've never seen past the end of series 2 of Highlander thanks to not having cable or satellite. And now I don't think any UK channel shows it. I'm going to try and catch up on NTSC VHS!

Should also clarify..

Forgot to mention in my previous post, The Sword of the Dragon(red scabbard, full body dragon) has not appeared in the series or movies. According to gossip, Adrain Paul didn't like the way the full body dragon felt to grip.

The Sword of Duncan(black scabbard, dragon head) was used in season 2-6 and Endgame. I'm not sure what exactly he used in the first season, but something close to this if memory serves. If you get one of these, make sure it has the brass collar on the dragon's neck. The older style without had the head come off

As I said before, these are great for what they are designed for. Highlander is what got me started into Japanese sword arts and the expensive side of the sword hobby.
    "To the man who only has a hammer in the toolkit, every problem looks like a nail."
    ---Abraham Maslow

I was under the impression that this: http://www.highlandercatalog.com/db/...der/H6016.html

was the Marto Sword of the Dragon, with black saya and bronze band on the head, whilst this: http://www.highlandercatalog.com/db/...der/H6005.html

was the red saya sword with the unrealistic one-piece handle.

This site http://www.geocities.com/coxkxv/sword/available.html claims this, and I'm 90% sure the Highlander Sword Shoppers Guide agrees, but its been ages since I visited and it seems to be down, although the Google 'excerpts' seem to back this up.

hi guys

todd- that is corect, he never used the sword of duncan only the sword of the dragon. it is however on the movie poster for endgame. i agree with you about not liking the sword of conner for the same reasons. i have both the marto duncan swords as well as the now no longer made casiberea dark magic sword from hl 3 that mario van peoples used. i love these swords even though i would never take one into my dojo.
    it puts the lotion on the skin or else it gets the hose again.

Todd actually said the reverse of that; that the 'Dragon' was never used. However I think that whilst we're all talking about the same sword with bronze ring being used series 2-6 +the movie, Todd called it the Sword of Duncan.

http://swordforum.com/fall99/ssw-6.html

Shows the sword I meant, which is called the Sword of the Dragon. It also shows the Sal D'Aquila Musashi which was based on the design he created for the first series of the show.

Talking They keep changing the names

I may be off in the current terminology as they had renamed the swords at one time in their marketing. That's why I usually describe them.

The full body dragon sword was also called "The official highlander sword" or "Official sword of the Highlander" on the Highlander website when they came out. Since it didn't appear in anything, it was tough to market as an official version.

It's been awhile, might have to review my DVD's now that you have me looking again
    ---Abraham Maslow

Yes, why on earth did they market that one as official? Ignorance by the marketing department?

Marto's serial number seems to be 417 for the screen-used sword.

So do you think I should take up an offer of $130 (includes approx shipping cost) for the official sword? I have no idea of secondhand values you see.
    Last edited by Jonathan S Ferguson; 11-26-2003 at 11:59 AM.

Well, a few months back I sold my 2 swords on ebay for about $140 US plus shipping, give or take a few dollars on either one. Mine were in excellent shape, although one did have some marks on the habaki from going in and out of the saya. I doubt the market has changed much.
    ---Abraham Maslow

a little history of the Duncan Macleod katana

Season 1 - Sal D' Aquila's prop

Season 2 - The last episode they used Sal's prop was in the episode Warmonger, the episode Pharoah's Daughter was the first time they used the Marto #417 without the copper band around the neck.

Seasons 3-5 - MacLeod uses the "sword of the dragon" without the copper band. (There is no doubt that once Marto added the copper band to the model that the prop department used white tape to cover up the band as to keep up with the continuity of the look of the katana)

Season 6 & Endgame- MacLeod uses the Marto #417. (The copper band can be seen.

There are two versions of Duncan Macleod's sword out there.
    Sal D' Aquila's "Musashi" (reproduction of the 1 & 2 season katana)
    www.pointgallery.com

and "The Sword of the Dragon" Marto #417
    Last edited by Stephen A. Fisher; 11-26-2003 at 12:40 PM.
    Stephen Fisher
    Istruttore Nazionale di Scherma
    Academia Nazionale di Scherma (ITA)
    Prévôt d'Escrime, USFCA/AAI

You beat me to it, Stephen.
    I'm always recommending Sal's version at Pointgallery, because lots of people seem to be looking for a functional Highlander sword lately.
    I've got one of the Musashis and it fits the bill perfectly.

Thanks everybody who's replied. Very interesting tidbit about the copper band being covered.

Do you know why they decided to stop using the Aquila sword? Also, what blade was it using at that time, as surely it wasn't a Chen? Kris cutlery maybe?

Originally posted by Jonathan S Ferguson
    Thanks everybody who's replied. Very interesting tidbit about the copper band being covered.

Do you know why they decided to stop using the Aquila sword? Also, what blade was it using at that time, as surely it wasn't a Chen? Kris cutlery maybe?
    Hi Jonathan,

As it says on Sal's website. "Halfway through the second season the production moved to France. At that time a deal was made with Marto to produce a commercial "licensed" verson...."

In my opinion, using the Marto sword made it easier for they prop department. All they had to do was fit it with an aluminum blade and bang, ready to go. During the 1'st and 2'nd season the prop handles can be seen broke in half. During one episode tape can be seen wrapped around the handle to keep it together. Also during many episodes the prop guys screwed up and mounted it upside down. So there were a few problems with it.

"Also, what blade was it using at that time"
    The kris cutlery & paul chen blades were only used on Sal's reproduction, which I believe came out in 1999.

During the show, for close-ups they used a stainless steel blade, and for the fights an aluminum blade.
    Stephen Fisher

Sal D' Aquila's Musashi #5 (Kris Cutlery blade)
    A very strong sword, 10 out of 10 stars
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stephen Fisher

Marto #417 "Sword of The Dragon"
    a good wallhanger, and you can see it on TV
    Stephen Fisher

Josh,

Do you actually use your Musashi or is it strictly a display piece? Sounds like the construction is pretty much a PPK with an ornate tsuka. Am I reading correctly that it can be broken down as most Japanese swords? I'm assuming that due to the phrase "you can replace the tsuba."

Just curious as to how functional it actually is, might have to invest in one myself
    ---Abraham Maslow

Season 1 & 2 screen captures
    Last edited by Stephen A. Fisher; 11-26-2003 at 02:47 PM.
    Stephen Fisher

cap 2
    Stephen Fisher

cap 3
    Stephen Fisher

cap 4
    Stephen Fisher

oh well, I have a lot more pics and screen caps but they are too big for sword forum.
    Stephen Fisher

"Am I reading correctly that it can be broken down as most Japanese swords? I'm assuming that due to the phrase "you can replace the tsuba."

No, the sword is permanently mounted together. When you order the sword you have a choice as to which tsuba you want.

Here is a link to an old review on SFI.

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthr...=&threadid=787

I have posted some pictures of mine on the test forum. Mine dones not have any antique detailing on the handle.

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthr...threadid=27427
    Stephen Fisher

Exclamation Looking for a real Connor sword?

I agree with most of the replies in here about the Sword of Duncan...If you want a functional Duncan sword, get the Sal D'Aquila version...I have heard wonderful reviews on it...

As for the Connor Sword, Film Swords is working on a functional version, quite expensive but accurate to the smallest detail to the movie version.

I own the Sword of the Sorcerer, the Martespa version of The Dark Magic, as seen in Highlander III.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast