Thread: Hybrid Burner Query

Question Hybrid Burner Query

Hello i'm a beginning bladesmith with a Riser's Propane Firebrick Forge. I currently use a weed-burner torch for a heat source and it's been working okay. But i'm wondering if I'm getting the necessary heat for the amount of propane the thing sucks up.

So I'v been looking at the hybrid burners by Rex Price and especially the T-rex or shorty burner. They seem pretty hardcore, and I'm wondering if this kind of burner would be right for my dinky little forge. Anyone have one of them? .Would i need to know alot about propane burners to operate one? or will the things blow my little firebrick forge apart into little, little bits?

also would i need to get a regulator for my tank? it looks like i do. how much $$$ do the regulators cost around?

Thanks very much if anyone can help

i am replying so my thread can get the little tirangle next to it so more people will notice it

I just bought a forge kit from Jay Hayes...just for reference he charges $26.95 for a 0-35PSIG regulator.

Jay also sells both kit form and complete burners...I'm not advertising for the guy, but he seemed very knowledgeable on the phone. From what he says, his burners have a few more adjustments than the Reil or such burners. I'll post links to photos and results in a few weeks once I get the forge assembled.

I doubt the new burner will damage your forge...but it will likely be more efficient than the weed-burner attachment you are currently using.

Originally posted by Bruce B Perry
    I just bought a forge kit from Jay Hayes...just for reference he charges $26.95 for a 0-35PSIG regulator.

Jay also sells both kit form and complete burners...I'm not advertising for the guy, but he seemed very knowledgeable on the phone. From what he says, his burners have a few more adjustments than the Reil or such burners. I'll post links to photos and results in a few weeks once I get the forge assembled.

I doubt the new burner will damage your forge...but it will likely be more efficient than the weed-burner attachment you are currently using.
    You are not advertizing it's ok to share sources for related equipement no worries. That is a good price for a 0-35 regulator. Do you have his contact information or webpage?
    Patrick Hastings
    "A man without patience lives in hell"
    "He o hitte
    shiri Tsubome"

Yep...here ya go:

Jay Hayes
    C.J. Products Inc. Phone: (304) 269-6111
    100 Christmas Place Email: xmas4lites@earthlink.net
    Weston, WV 26452

I got a t rex burner a couple years ago and have been very pleased with it. No special expertise to use it. It does need a regulator which is about 30 bucks and a burner flare which is about $6. It puts out enough heat for a larger forge, you could probably stack a dozen or so firebricks into a good sized chamber for it.

Thanks Bruce. I emailed Jay Hayes. But does anyone have a webpage for a regulator if the above regulator does not work out? Would I need to get a 2-stage? What about a psi pressure gauge? I can install the regulator myself, right?

I dont really know much about this stuff, thats why I asked in the beginning if the T-rex would be complicated to handle. But if you guys could help me out it would be great.

ooh. just one more. It says something about the "fittings" on the hose. What about that?

Just call Jay...he won't bite...very friendly on the phone.

Mr. Zoeller is great to do business with.
    http://www.geocities.com/zoellerforge/flare.html

Nathan

Edit: Here's another. http://www.msmw.com/Forge_Componets.htm
    Last edited by N. Creel; 01-23-2004 at 01:16 PM.

ok im getting a little off the subject.

The main thing i'm worried about is that if i get the T-rex, I wont know how to operate it or I'll mess it up and hurt the torch and/or myself. I have had practically no experience with real burners, so i ask again: is this the right burner for me?

Get the "shorty" burner. The T-rex burner is too big for what you are working in. It will not hurt anything, but it is big time overkill for a very small forge.

These are very nice burners, well made, widely adjustable, and they even look nice.
    It is not the destination, it is the journey.

by overkill do you mean overkill or OVERKILL. I wanted to T-rex because i could later move it to another larger forge as i build one. If i just had the shorty then i'd have to buy the T-rex later anyway. But please tell me if the T-rex is WAY too big for the forge. (also keep in mind that the wearing away of the firebricks is not a problem as i can replace them at little cost).

Note: this is my desperate attempt to get THE BIG ONE because its cooler. if it is really too big then please knock me in the face. I wont get offended

-

Originally posted by Scott Ader
    by overkill do you mean overkill or OVERKILL. I wanted to T-rex because i could later move it to another larger forge as i build one. If i just had the shorty then i'd have to buy the T-rex later anyway. But please tell me if the T-rex is WAY too big for the forge. (also keep in mind that the wearing away of the firebricks is not a problem as i can replace them at little cost).

Note: this is my desperate attempt to get THE BIG ONE because its cooler. if it is really too big then please knock me in the face. I wont get offended

Scott,
    Howard says what he means and he answered your question pretty clearly with good advice.
    Patrick Hastings
    "A man without patience lives in hell"
    "He o hitte
    shiri Tsubome"

ok guys thanks for all the advice. it really helped.