Thread: Propane Forge: Pressure gauge??

Propane Forge: Pressure gauge??

I never thought of a pressure guage... but somebody mentioned using one and I believe it would help my poor junkyard beast. What kind of regulator/pressure guage do you use and where could I find it? (DON'T SAY LOCALLY! They know nothing around here!!!) *Cough....* Umm... yeah, I'd prefer something online or a national chain that couldn't possibly be clueless like many of the locals. Thanks again.

Describe how you get the gas from the tank into the forge. Please pay particular attention to the tank size and tubes/pipes.

There must be a form of pressure regualtor already in place. It may not be adjustable, but therre should be one there somewhere -- preferably connected to the tank.
    Richard Furrer
    Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
    http://doorcountyforgeworks.com/

Standard grill regulator

Well I have a standard grill regulator in place, but I was under the impression that the ones mentioned her were adjustable and entirely different. I had pictured them like a O/A regulator actually.....

I had envisioned a tube somehow tied to the tank -- a BAD idea.
    The regualtor you have most likely puts out a constant 11"WC -- about 1/2 PSI.

I get all my gas supplies from NC Tool. The regulator set up they have is inexpensive and allows you control up to 15 PSI. I run it on all by forges.
    Richard Furrer
    Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
    http://doorcountyforgeworks.com/

The one that's really popular 'round here...

...is the Acytelene regulator from Harbor Freight. $39.95, last I checked, it gives you tank pressure and outgoing line pressure...

Harbor Freight

Search for Regulator, it was down towards the bottom.

Good luck!
    Third Mate to Barrett's Privateers, reporting for duty!!

The one I use I got from Suburban Propane (seen them in PA, and Idaho, so I assume they are all over) was 0-30 psi, $30 though you need to pick up your own pressure guage if you want it (about $10). I mounted my pressure guage on the gas manifold, since a tank pressure guage on propane is useless. Propane's pressure is strictly temperature dependent.

Those all seem pretty pricey. Most of the regulators I saw were in the $5-8 range(up to 150 psi input and 0-30 output) and pressure gauges that screw into the regulators run $2-15 depending how fancy you want. Do some searches under surplus equipment.
    Don Halter
    KragAxe Armoury
    Bryan, TX

I acquired a reguator with a nob

A little while ago I came across a regulator with a pressure nob that can go up to 15psi... how much do I need at max? (Or does it depend.....)

I'll be testing it out in the next couple days and see what I get. *Crosses fingers*

In another thread I read Drew Flood went up to 10psi, while Don Halter went to 23psi. Some go higher. I think it depends on many factors, some of which are adjustable like jet size and air flow (to a degree). Others who are learned on the subject (I am just started building my forge) can give you an indication, but I think you'd have to try to find out .
    Get it on, get in, get up, get out, get off, get it out, get off again, get down, get it off, get it in, repeat if necessary!

One of mine is a adjustable propane regulator that goes up to around 30 PSI IIRC it was bought from a propane supply company and ran over $30 IIRC.

The other forge uses an old acetylene regulator I bought at the fleamarket for $5.

Note not all regulators are rated for propane---it can dissolve the seals and that is not a good thing!.

An adjustable regulator is much more important than having a guage.

Light the forge and adjust the pressure until it's "right" the gauge just makes it easier to get near right next time. (Do you really care what the pressure is reading or do you just want the forge to work correctly? Gauges are nortorious for being off!)

Thomas

Mr. Furrer is right...

...you can't go far wrong with the NC Tools people. I ran their gas forges for over 10 years.

I got my 0-18psi one from www.morebeer.com along with a pressure gauge. It was $25.
    Glen Mergnes

http://refractory.elliscustomknifeworks.com/
    Darren Ellis has a 0-17 psi regulators for 20$, and a 0-30 psi regulators for 30$

http://www.geocities.com/zoellerforge/flare.html
    Larry Zoeller has a 3-35 psi regulators for 28.50$, and 0-30 psi gauges for 7.25$

Support a fellow bladesmith!

josh
    Last edited by Josh Powell; 01-14-2005 at 04:39 PM.
    The smith also sitteth by the anvil,
    And fighteth with the heat of the furnace,
    And the noise of the hammer and the anvil is ever in his ears,
    And his eyes look still upon the pattern of the thing that he maketh.
    He setteth his mind to finish his work,
    And waiteth to polish it perfectly.