Thread: Canadian/British unit markings

Canadian/British unit markings

Hello all,

A fellow doing some work on our house brought a sword over the other day hoping I could help. I could give him the basics, but a pamphlet I have on Canadian unit markings on small arms has gone AWOL and I couldn't give him the whole story. I thought the forum might be able to fill in the gaps.

The sword in question is a 1890 pattern cavalry sword with matching scabbard. Both are marked '90 and '99 with all the ussual inspection marks (Enfield in this case), test mark and the double arrow sale/obsolete mark. There are however 3 marks I couldn't positively identify without my missing pamphlet. Two are unit markings:
    P.L.D.G.: Crossed out
    C.M.R.: Canadian Mounted Rifles?

There is also an unussual date(?) mark: 2.12 Not sure this is actually a date mark, as it doesn't exactly follow the pattern in the references or on my '08 e.g. 2 '18.

Thanks,
    Dean

Hi Dean,

I just happen to have Barrie Manarey's "Handbook of Identification Marks on Canadian Arms" handy.

C.M.R = The College Militaire Royal de St. Jean

P.L.D.G. = The Princess Louise Dragroon Guards 1879-1903

hope this helps
    Jeff

Thanks Jeff

Thanks Jeff, exactly what I was looking for.

Dean

Thanks Jeff

Thanks Jeff, exactly what I was looking for.

Dean

Originally posted by Jeff Demetrick
    Hi Dean,

I just happen to have Barrie Manarey's "Handbook of Identification Marks on Canadian Arms" handy.

C.M.R = The College Militaire Royal de St. Jean

P.L.D.G. = The Princess Louise Dragroon Guards 1879-1903

hope this helps
    Jeff
    Since CMR did not open until 1952, I would suggest that the initials are for something else. The initial suggestion of Canadian Mounted Rifles is probably correct. The regiment was raised for the Boer War and in 1910 was reorganized as the British Columbia Horse.

Hi Gene,
    You are quite right. On further inspection Mr. Manarey has a note that CMR is usually associated with battalion or regimental numbers (ie; 14 CMR) when referring to the Canadian mounted rifles, but are occasionally seen on its own.
    Thanks for the correction.

Jeff