Thread: Rondache help!!!

Rondache help!!!

Hey guys, I've been trying to research a type of shield known as a rondache but so far all I can find is this stub on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rondache

One thing that has me confused is that this article seems to imply that the shield could be made from sinew or ropes? Well it is Wikipedia so obviously I'm fairly skeptical of that bit.

What has me really interested is the bit about them having concentric circles of nails in them. This seems alot like later Scottish targes to me, so my question is, does anyone here know of any examples of shields other than Scottish targes with patterns of nails?

Stephen, here's some info from a reputable book that is out of print:

The Complete Encyclopedia Of Arms & Weapons edited by Leonid Tarassuk & Claude Blair

Rondache
    A French term often used to denote a large circular Targe. Known at least from the Bronze Age, such heavy round shields made of iron or steel were used in Europe by horseman and men on foot until the 15th century, when they were gradually discarded by mounted warriors but were kept in service for a few more decades by some infantry swordsmen. A steel bulletproof shield designed in the late 16th century was occasionally used even in the 17th.
    In the 16th century rondaches made of wood, steel, or leather became popular as parade shields. They were richly decorated in various techniques, depending on the main material, and usually had a padded velvet lining with gold or silver embroidery and trimmings. Particularly superb rondaches were produced in Milan by great artist-craftsmen, the famous Negroli family among them.

Targe (or Target): A general term used to cover various types of shields carried on the arm by infantry troops from the 13th to the 16th century. Strictly speaking, however, the targe was a round or squarish shield, concave toward the body, fitted on the inside with two straps, ENARMES, through one of which, adjusted by means of a buckle, the left forearm passed, the other being fixed and held by the left hand. There was also an oblong pad against which the forearm rested. This type of shield was usually made of iron or of iron-plated wood. From the 15th century, when the use of targes by warriors notably decreased, the word 'targe' was also applied to several types of variously shaped shields used for the German jousts. A specific form of targe was the 'Hungarian' shield, which was also used in Germany in conjunction with eastern European armor. It was rectangular at the bottom, but the upper edge sloped up to the left in a concave curve to form an elongated point with the vertical left-hand edge.

Enarmes: Also called braces, the handles by which the shield is held. In their most common form, there are two loops, the first of which is fixed - and held with the left hand - and the second, in which the left arm is placed, is movable and can be adjusted by means of a buckle. Usually made of leather, or more rarely of wood, they are attached to the inside of the shield with rivets.

Hi Danny, many thanks for the reply. I'm still looking for examples of shields with patterns of nails as mentioned in the above Wikipedia article, if anyone here should come across one I'd be very grateful to see it.