Thread: "lightsaber" - expandable bokken?

Question "lightsaber" - expandable bokken?

yesterday I've watched the documentation about lightsabers on the new Star Wars bonus DVD. And I got an idea.

Could it be possible to build an expandable telescope bokken like the police batons out of high quality steel?

The largest baton I could find at the www is 31 inch but I don't know why it shouldn't be possible to build a baton in katana-length with a section like a bokken.

Any opinions?

Thomas
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    student at Alte Kampfkunst HEMA Academy
    editor at Messer Magazin Europe's knife magazine, est. 1999

and
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It should definately be possible, but to be strong enough, I think it would have to made of some pretty thick pipe, which might be a bit unsafe. plus, it would probably be a bit hard on other bokken, unless you only use it on other steel bokken.
    SCHOLA GLADIATORIA

Mrs. Whitaker peered at the sword. "It must be very sharp", she said, after a while.
    "It can slice a falling hair in twain. Nay, it could slice a sunbeam," said Galaad proudly.
    "Well, then maybe you should put it away," said Mrs. Whitaker.

Neil Gaiman, Chivalry

I own a 26" retractable baton made by ASP. It's the aircraft-aluminum version, which is lighter than the standard steel model used by police.

Retractable batons were specifically designed as blunt weapons, and can be lethal as such. Speaking subjectively, I would advise against attempting to modify these devices. They are dangerous enough "as is".

Land Of Disease & Swamps AKA Eugene, Oregon

Post Moderator's Comment...

Moved to this forum.
    "Swords Are Fun!" - Auld Dawg

"A Sword For Show, But A Broadaxe For Dough." -
    Hagar The Horrible

Land Of Disease & Swamps AKA Eugene, Oregon
    Now that the business is out of the way...

An all steel telescoping baton would weigh... A lot. There's a reason they use aircraft grade aluminum for those things.
    "Swords Are Fun!" - Auld Dawg

"A Sword For Show, But A Broadaxe For Dough." -
    Hagar The Horrible

Ummm....

Why would you want a collapsible bokken in the first place?

Re: "lightsaber" - expandable bokken?

Originally posted by Thomas Laible
    yesterday I've watched the documentation about lightsabers on the new Star Wars bonus DVD. And I got an idea.

Could it be possible to build an expandable telescope bokken like the police batons out of high quality steel?

The largest baton I could find at the www is 31 inch but I don't know why it shouldn't be possible to build a baton in katana-length with a section like a bokken.

Any opinions?

Thomas
    illegal... extremely illegal..

i've looked into it before, never figured out the exact design.
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

Gotta agree with Jeff on this, sort of...

When I started out collecting high-quality folding knives, I looked into spring-loaded blades and similar designs. To my surprise, I was told by vendors and blade-makers that those types of knives are illegal in many states and municipalities.

Originally posted by Ty N.
    Gotta agree with Jeff on this, sort of...

When I started out collecting high-quality folding knives, I looked into spring-loaded blades and similar designs. To my surprise, I was told by vendors and blade-makers that those types of knives are illegal in many states and municipalities.
    to build on that, it's a police tool, trust me, you can conceal it, it can kill someone, it is meant to kill people, its illegal.
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

In Germany these batons are legal as self defense tools. They are considered as weapons, but if you are of age you can purchase and carry them. length is no matter.

I you settle the matter with steel and switch to aluminum, I believe a construction problem could be the blade section of a bokken. I consider the batons will only work in perfect round shape ????????????

Thomas

I know that collapsible metal tai chi swords are sold. They seem to be designed for solo practice (while traveling on business for example), however, and do not seem strong enough for even moderate contact.

I think one problem you would run into, if you were to manufacture such a tool, is that it might be easily deformed to the point that it would either not extend or retract properly. At which point, it would not be much of a standard bokken.

I would hesitate to use an asp baton as a bokken simulator for paired practice. They tend to be slightly tip heavy (they have to be to extend properly) and can hit fairly hard.

Nothing illegal about it in AZ. If concealed, you must have a CCW. Or anyone could wear it in the open.

I just love the old west!
    ;-)
    Usquequaque Incertus, Nunquam in Nuto...

Centurio in corde, mente corporeque,
    Pro foco domoque, amicis cognatisque
    Aeternum vigilo
    Gladio parato

Most folks who are familiar with collapsible batons, seem to prefer the 21" or 26". Some find the 31" models to be more of a pain to carry, and really won't find much of a benefit by going with the larger models.

As one of the previous posters stated, the tubes used in the lower areas would have to be very stout, indeed, for someone to get a 1 yard (or meter) long baton. This, combined with the extra weight at the tip, would probably make such a weapon rather unwieldy, especially since we're talking about impact weapons here.

Finally, there's the durability issue. Collapsible batons aren't going to do too well when continually used against hard targets. Even the best brands of batons (ASP) can get bent if used to strike other hard targets, such as a bokken. I remember a new owner of an ASP baton thinking that his baton was indestructible, and using it to destroy a defective CD-ROM drive. Yes, the baton certainly put some serious dents into that thing, and did eventually break it into several component pieces, but after his initial flurry of attacks on the hapless drive, he noticed that his baton was bent.

Until a brilliant individual can come up with a metal alloy that can take that kind of punishment, while essentially being used in a hollow tube configuration, at a reasonable cost, it just does not seem practical, IMHO.

i hate to be the show stopper, but...

WHY?!

why would anybody try to associate something used to kill somebody in japan during the middle ages with a western-in-space from the seventies?
    K Meade
    -the great american dream isn't freedom. its the equal opportunity for anybody to do something wrong and get away with it.

He did take some inspiration from Kurosawa (sp?), but if you want a bokken, buy a bokken. If you want a baton, buy a baton. If you want a lightsaber, buy one of those cheap plastic toys. You can hit peoplewith those and not send them to the hospital.

actually having 2 of those cheap plastic litghsabres I train my 5 year old son in sword fighting, however I pull my swings as even those "toys" have a great amount of durability and would be capable of inflicting seroious damge to a person if struck with full "force" (pun intended) Seriously though I belive they could be used as a less than lethal weapon or if used properly even a lethal one.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons,
    for you are crunchy, and good with
    salsa ...

ASPs

ASPs are flat out dangerous.. I carried one for five years with a police dept, and they're not toys at all. they absolutely can hurt someone just as bokuto.. now, with that said, if you want to darth maul it with two 31"ers, check some of the police supply catalogs, as I remember seeing a replacement buttcap that lets you screw to ASPs together, into a weird double asp staff weapon thing.

however, i must second the warning about bending an asp, as mine developed a slight bend from impact training, and slamming it against pavement to close it.
    Christopher A. Holzman, Esq.
    Moniteur d' Armes
    "[T]he calm spirit is the only force that can defeat instinct, and render us masters of all our strengths" -Settimo Del Frate, 1876.

Author of The Art of the Dueling Sabre
    ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana