Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The anatomy of a *wallhanger* katana

broke my first wallhanger im so happy!! Until i get my forge built im gonna stock removal this into a wakazashi(sp?) and remake the handle. Might aswell get some use out of it hehe.

incase your wondering the white stuff around the rattail tang is glue, which was the only thing holding it in the handle. It didnt do a very good job either.

Oh my...that tang broke in two. What's the blade made of? If it's stainless steel, I wouldn't reuse it.
    "Impossible" is a word that humans use far too often.
    - Seven of Nine

Originally posted by Jennifer Yabut
    Oh my...that tang broke in two. What's the blade made of? If it's stainless steel, I wouldn't reuse it.
    yeah after i read this post i figured it had one of them tack welded tangs so i smacked my bedroom floor with it(carpet, pad, then cement) and i heard it break. Didnt even use much force. After that i just rocked the blade back and forth and it came off. Then i used my super human stength to break the wood/cardboard hybrid handle lol.

Yeah its stainless. I know its not the best thing to use but i need something to do while i scrounge parts up for my forge.(unless stainless has a similiar coating to galvanized steel then ill stay away from it, but i dont *think* it does) I plan to just take it to the grinder shorten it leave a tang then just rebuild the handle. Nothing great, but for a first project it'll do.

4. i took apart a United cutlery Highlander knockoff katana a few years back. you know the kind where the "ruby" is on the hilt to hide the tang pin, well thats where the tang STOPS.
    i reused the handle, but the blade i made a "elvish" sword out of useing the tang hole further down.
    still a wallhanger, but it make use of the blade......

These things are REALLY dangerous!
    Thank you for posting this

aaaaaargggg!!!!!

You have no idea how much of a pet peeve these "wall hangers" are to me. I used to work at a "Martial Arts" Store. We sold knifes and swords and Gi etc. I had the benefit of taking many (too many) of these things apart. Sometimes they fall apart by themselves. You know what happens to the bad swords that fall apart???? DO YOU??? They get sent back (yes back) and fixed. SO if they didn't do it right the first time.....they'll do it again, and again.....and again.....and (you get the picture). Believe it or not, the Pakistan swords usually have a real tang on most of their swords....well the ones over $50 anyway. The steel is recycled from old cars etc. But atleast you can put it in the forge without worrying about getting nickle in your lungs and killing you. Not good.
    I have gotten so good at knowing where the sword is from (by looking at the steel), I can tell over the internet where it is from. You see, the chinese use ALOT of stainless steel. Because its "Pretty", Just like those lame tassles they put on EVERYTHING!!!(here is a spoon son......with a tassle....) One day they may even try to put a tassle in their money, because of the hole in it....(hey theres a great place.....to put a tassle!!!!) Look, it may be ceremonial.....but geeze! ......Sorry,...rant over. The Pakistan like to put "Forged" on their products. Forged? Like stolen idea? Maybe......but who cares right? b/c its crap! I do admit, for $10 you can get a descent knife made in pakistan. In fact, did you know that some medical suppliers use pakistan steel for scalpals(Sp?). For some reason it sharpens easy.....kinda like a tin can is sharp I guess. Ever cut yourself on one of those? Owch!
    Sooooooooo........any way. I beg any beginner to collect bokkens first (check the forum for a "acrylic" bokken.)and then save your money and get a real katana from Bugei.com or elsewhere. Skip PPK, paul chan is good, but for a few extra hundred you could get a forged sword made to order. If you have the need to buy crap, go buy a bag of manure...its more useful and it won't kill anyone. They may want to die b/c of the smell,...but whatever
    Every man dies, but not every man really lives.

I've been fortunate not to have bought any wallhangers. I was given a wallhanger by my parents, but I can't say the same for one of my pals.

He bought a sword in China-Town, and thought it was real because it was sharp.

Then he tried to hack at a branch, and the blade busted right out of the handle! We later saw it had been nailed to the piece of dowel that tried to pass itself off for a 'tsuka.'

Sharp doesn't mean functional.

- Dave.
    -- From the desk of The Avenging Deadly Death-Defying Lethal Awesome Killer High School Student of Deathly Doom!

Visit The Avenging Deadly Death-Defying Lethal Awesome Killer High School Student's of Deathly Doom's Website here!

Me and a buddy bought some wall hanger katanas online one time. Now I knew that they were wall hangers, we bought them for a little under 50 dollars. I was just planning on displaying it. However my friend had different intentions. He hacked some piece of wood with it, shattered the so called tsuka into a million pieces. I was actually surprised to see a decent tang on it however. Anyway he rebuilt the handle with a piece of wood, and surprisingly it still works.

For comparison's sake, this is my PPK disassembled:

How about the PK?

The Practical Katana can't be dismantled, the blade is permanently glued into the Tsuka.

- Dave.
    -- From the desk of The Avenging Deadly Death-Defying Lethal Awesome Killer High School Student of Deathly Doom!

Visit The Avenging Deadly Death-Defying Lethal Awesome Killer High School Student's of Deathly Doom's Website here!

Originally posted by Dave Luck
    The Practical Katana can't be dismantled, the blade is permanently glued into the Tsuka.

I have read some have used a heat gun to get it off.

You can use special solvents to melt epoxy and other glues. But it'd be really messy. I tried that a few times.

But, then again, anything that can be put together can be taken apart; one way or another.

- Dave.
    Last edited by Dave Luck; 12-21-2005 at 07:26 PM.

Originally posted by J. Armstrong
    Here is a checklist of ways to tell if a katana is crap without tearing it apart.

[skip to 5]
    5. Made after some sort of movie (like Kill Bill or Zatoichi)

These are probably the most obvious signs of crappy katanas.
    I hope it helps!
    About 5, when I was searching ebay for a shirasaya katana, I came across about 10 auctions at a time, all advertising O-Ren's katana from Kill Bill, and they actually went so far as to describe the function of the sword in the movie, and why the sword was "Immortalized in film history". It's basically saying "Wallhanger" for the auction descreption.

Talking

I bought a set of 3 wallhangers about a year ago, and after reading this thread, im going to dismantle them and post the tang(if they even have one) size on here (also stainless steel which i failed to blue). I do own a wwII katana, altough it has seen better days. Im not sure wether its worth sending it to japan to get repaired or not. il get a few pictures soon and if you let me know what you think...
    Life without wallhangers would be great!

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/index.html

The most magical site early beginners can hope to find. My wall hanger's plastic handle broke when I went outside to use it and one horizontally aimed down cut and CRACK! I had half a plastic handle. I'll send pics some day of it. I re wrapped the handle only to practice. Had some good times pretending it was a real sword until I knew about swords. By the way if you see a katana with hundreds of triangles running along the area where a hamon is supposed to be, it's a genuine wall hanger. Fit to sit on your wall for eternity so you can tell everyone that sees it that it's a sword shaped object that looks really pretty but doesn't compare to the real thing.
    Last edited by Sean F.; 02-26-2006 at 06:46 AM.
    "Would you rather be right, or would you rather be happy?" My Sensei, Drake Sass

"Go slow, you'll learn faster" Chuck Norris to Bruce Lee one day during training together

www.myspace.com/gsxxxdomain

For comparison's sake, this is the tang of my AT1211:
    Hello. I am a beginner, still looking for my first sword. I am not looking for a katana, but I would make a (somewhat) educated guess that sword construction is relatively the same for the Medieval / European types that I am looking for. SO, my question is this:
    For a sword to be 'functional' (not a wallhanger) does it need to have a tang like your Angus Trim?

Has anyone looked at the tangs on a MRL? I ask this because I think that I may get a Windlass since they seem to be in my range of quality vs. price. I am also looking at Generation 2, who boasts to having full tangs on their swords. But I'm open to suggestions!
    Last edited by J. Walters; 02-26-2006 at 08:38 AM.
    "If thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil."

Originally posted by J. Walters
    Hello. I am a beginner, still looking for my first sword. I am not looking for a katana, but I would make a (somewhat) educated guess that sword construction is relatively the same for the Medieval / European types that I am looking for. SO, my question is this:
    For a sword to be 'functional' (not a wallhanger) does it need to have a tang like your Angus Trim?
    Welcome to SFI. You certainly came to the right place for the answers you seek.

To put it rather simply, yes. Most "functional" European-type swords have full tangs similar to the Atrim tang I posted. There are exceptions. I heard that Lutel swords don't have a "traditional" full tang; it's more like a half-tang with a bolt welded into it. I don't own a Lutel sword, but from what I heard from other forumites, they are sturdily made.

I suggest that you read these two articles from SFI's archive:

Discerning a Well-Made Sword: http://swordforum.com/sfu/primer/wellmade.html

Is My Sword Real: http://swordforum.com/swords/decorat...swordreal.html

Has anyone looked at the tangs on a MRL? I ask this because I think that I may get a Windlass since they seem to be in my range of quality vs. price. I am also looking at Generation 2, who boasts to having full tangs on their swords. But I'm open to suggestions!
    A number of folks own or had owned MRL, Windlass or Generation 2 swords. I'm not one of them, so I can't answer your question. You can try running a search for Windlass or Generation 2 swords (MRL is going to come up empty, because the SFI search engine doesn't run searchs for words less than four letters). From what I do know, those three brands you listed are some of the more inexpensive "functional" swords available. Depending on who you talk to, some will say that they're heavy and not well-balanced (I've heard this a lot with Generation 2 swords). Others swear by them. In any case, MRL, Windlass, and Generation 2 swords have been the subject of discussion several times.
    "Impossible" is a word that humans use far too often.
    - Seven of Nine

Tires are funny..........not really.

Heres a website for mostly the European sword enthusiast. It will also show the tang of some of the swords. Happy hunting for a sword a medieval soldier wouldn't laugh at you for.

http://mysite.verizon.net/tsafa1/swordreview.htm
    "Would you rather be right, or would you rather be happy?" My Sensei, Drake Sass

"Go slow, you'll learn faster" Chuck Norris to Bruce Lee one day during training together

www.myspace.com/gsxxxdomain

Hey everyone! Amazing what some folks get away with, right? My first sword purchase was at a flea market (you'd think I'd learn); it looked exactly like the one first posted, except it was all red. I was so stoked that it was only $12 and I asked the guy if it was real (had no idea what real was back then) and he said yes, it was of the finest Paki craftsmanship, he had several. So I get it home and take a swing at a branch (I know, I know) and on the second swing the tsuka cracks completely down one side. It was then that I noticed the wrap unravelling and a bare piece of wood with some red strips glued onto it. Disgust doesn't even begin to describe what I felt as I held the most craptacular sword ever produced. My roommate just laughed and laughed; eventually I did too. What a waste of metal.

I still have it, stuck away somewhere in a closet- just as a reminder; just like that 'kai gunto' I got my first time out on ebay- hurray. Glad my mistakes haven't cost me much; yet.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes" - It is foolish to fear that which you cannot avoid.

A number of folks own or had owned MRL, Windlass or Generation 2 swords. I'm not one of them, so I can't answer your question. You can try running a search for Windlass or Generation 2 swords (MRL is going to come up empty, because the SFI search engine doesn't run searchs for words less than four letters). From what I do know, those three brands you listed are some of the more inexpensive "functional" swords available. Depending on who you talk to, some will say that they're heavy and not well-balanced (I've heard this a lot with Generation 2 swords). Others swear by them. In any case, MRL, Windlass, and Generation 2 swords have been the subject of discussion several times. [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't knowwhat MRL is, but I can tell you about a couple of the Windlass swords because I bought two; a Russian Qama and the cut-n-thrust sword w/rainguard- I believe it was discontinued some time ago. The tang on the Qama was all the way through; I'll see if I can get a pic of it online. It has macassar grips that sandwich the tang and the entire ensemble was shaped to match. The blade is stiff and hefty but not overly so, with a sharp and serviceable point. Total length is ~22 inches, blade length ~17. The CNT has a thin tang, with a threaded rod on the end that the wheel pommel screws down on. I'm definitely not a big fan of that configuration because the wood grip has a tendency to flex whenever it pleases so to compensate I twist the pommel on a bit tighter and wouldn't you know it just looks plain stupid. The pommel being flat, its turned so as to be at odds with the crossguard. As for the rain guard, I'm not sure what I was thinking- I'm not one to stand outside in the rain. I tried removing it - and it comes off easily enough but it throughs the entire hilt assembly off balance. I suppose I could get a ball pommel, but have no idea where from- any help on that would be great. I've checked out a few sites but didn't see any advertisements regarding sword furniture sold separately. To give this CNT sword credit, it is a fine looking blade and you can see the hammer marks along the length; 38.5" overall, 31" blade. I remember now; I bought it because it is the same model that Lloyd Clark used (at the time, don't know if he still does because its been discontinued and I'd expect he'd run through a few of these swords in a given tournament). Here's the CNT sword:

http://www.silvermane.com/swords_cut-and-thrust.html

It's definitely a thrill to look at, and that picture doesn't really do it justice as you can't see the blade as you should. As advertised, the blade is very flexible and its a fast sword; that pommel confounds me. I wonder if Mr. Clark has had any such problems with it.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes" - It is foolish to fear that which you cannot avoid.

I have owned wall hangers, until I discovered Hanwei...and the practical line. The dual pegged long tang of the PPK is pretty nice from what I have seen (I have not dismantled it). I used to goof off and spar with friends using junky pld wall hangers (bad idea, I know), and surprisingly, I had a Zatoichi style piece that I got from a smoke shop (a place where you can bug ciggies is NOT a place you want to buy a sword, or a sword like object) and it held up rather well to getting beaten around. It wasn't tempered or anything, so hitting anything else metal dinged the blade, but it would handle brush cutting well enough after putting a better edge on it. I eventuall bent the hell out of it, and then cracked the blade wailing away on a stump (I wanted to see how much it could take). All in all, it took a massive beating for a $25 looker.

Now that I look back at it, man, we could have seriously hurt ourselves. The blades weren't all that sharp, so accidents weren't devastating when they did happen. But to make a long story short... people need to read this... I think this should be madatory for all people who are using the "newbie forum", along with the "spotting the fakes" threads. Good job everyone!

Having a number of SLO's (Sword like objects as 1 smith referred to them) on my walls, and having taken a few apart, I'd never consider trying to use them. Anything denser than loose packed snow, and you risk injury. I'll stick with my Paul Chen blades for actual usage I think.
    If the enemy thinks of the mountains, attack like the sea; and if he thinks of the sea, attack like the mountains. - Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)

Angry

Just looking at this thread makes me sick!!....

Hope this is ok, I'd like to add a few of my own wallhanger pictures, that seem to be a bit different than the rest of them.

Not sure how to classify this, besides SLO. Not really a katana, more of a machete I guess lol. 440 stainless of course.

Most notable is the wrap. it may feel secure, and look tbut the method used to secure it is ridiculous. in this picture you can see hardened plastic "secures" the ito wrap. A fingernail slip would probably break away the plastic and cause the wrap to be instantly loose. (It's the shiny spot in the picture towards the left on the wrap. Looks like the plastic was dribbled on and left to harden)

Here you can see the tip of the sword. I don't know how to describe it. The end it just chooff. This blade is pretty much handicapped from this, but I guess it looks "cool"? Completely unsharpened tip, but the edge is sharp...totally confusing.

And of course, the blade is bent. The photo makes it less obvious, however in person it's a definite bend to the left. Taking this shot is hard, getting it to focus on the whole length was kind of tricky, therefore you may not see the bend.

Just for reference, the overall appearance of the blade.

Was this thing really marketed under the name "katana"? Don't those crap sellers have any shame?

Hmm, no the selling description calls it a "Full Tang Ninja Sword", which I doubt is anymore realistic. All the ninja swords I have seen are very similiar to a katana, except the blades are straight and I'm sure the dimensions are a bit different.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast