Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The anatomy of a *wallhanger* katana

You've seen any real ninja swords that were used by real ninja (or a faithful reproduction thereof)?

In person neither, just what I can find online.

This isn't authentic, but by straight blade I meant this -

As you can see, it's more like a katana than the SLO I posted up, so I have no idea why they advertised mine as a "ninja sword".

AFAIK, any straight blade with a diagonal tip, aka "tanto point" gets labeled as a ninja sword... and historical ninja used perfectly ordinary katana.

Ah, then it's just a marketing label. I'd personally prefer a blade like the one I just posted as it has a tsuba for protection, and of course it looks alot better.

They'll call it whatever they think will sell it quickly; since ninja have always been 'mysterious' and 'arcane' everyone wants to be one, or wanted to at some point. I have one just like the one posted previously ("full-tang ninja sword") except with a baked black finish. $12.99 lol
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes" - It is foolish to fear that which you cannot avoid.

Yes, luckily they are cheap. Mine was $9 and then $13 shipping. So needless to say when it arrived I didn't feel like I lost too much money. It still looks very cool, and makes for an interesting wallhanger. Actually it's a "table sitter" as I can't put anything on my walls yet (parent's new house).

"Ninja" sword

If I had to guess..... I'd say the reason the straight bladed swords are refered to as "ninja" swords is due to the ninja movies from the 80s. Take American Ninja for example.... all straight bladed.

In reality the straight bladed swords are simply the precursors to the curved blades. The katana is a slashing weapon rather then a stabing (rapier) or cutting (longsword, axe) weapon. As such the curve provided increased strength and provided less chance of breaking when slicing something across the length of the blade.

I should have not made my previous thread and jsut included the picture here. If you had seen my sword 1 page back, this is it again. I took apart the "handle" and it revealed a hollwo tang.

Great quality there Someone's throwing knife was probably made out of the tang of my blade!

I have a very cheaply made Kill Bill movie replica that I picked up when I bought a iadio manual a few months back. (Dont worry I am now looking for a iadio sensei in the area. PM me if you know of any near/in Wilmington) The thing literally cost me 20 bucks. I recently got some money for Christmas and am planning on purchasing a Masahiro Bamboo. When I do I'm planning on tearing down the SLO. I'll try to remember to take pictures while I'm doing it.
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    -<====[<(---)>]=====>
    No Cut and Paste, No Plans for Domination or Anything , it Just Is.....
    Evil Sith Bunny!!

I bought one those cheap Kill Bill for about £30 (this is back when i thought these were the real deal, how naive i was ) and the tsuba came loose and the kurikata which was glued came unstuck. The knot of the Ito at the end of the Tsuka (sorry don't know the term?) ripped. I gave it to a friend for a free in the end, about 2 months after he thing came apart

This is reffering to the very begining, I couldn't help but notice jennifer talked like the twist wrapped ito but your ppk also had a twist wrapped handle. What's your thoughts on this?
    When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail.

My wall hanger has a half tang, full width with a single hole using a brass pin. It is also type 404 stainless (I understand type 420 surgical is usually used.) I haven't tried whacking anything with it, but it does seem to take a good edge.

Mike

ha

great thread hope all the new folks are checking it out...ive had several of thos ninja SLOs identical to the one in the home shopping vid..ever so glad me and my friends didnt get too crazy with them ..(we used to get drunk alot)..of course when u buy something from the flea market brand new for 5 bucks...have a pretty strong inclination that its not to be used for any thing but eye fodder....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345