Thread: Sometimes I feel like crying...

1. Sometimes I feel like crying...

I placed an ad in the local paper the other day, asking for swords and sabres. So far, I've recieved three replies. The first one turned out to be a dud (after biking over 5 km through sleet...), but the owner turned out to be a former collector. He told me about Swedish cavalry sabers (late 1800's) being sold off for SEK 10-15 ($1-1.5) some 30 years ago, but that they had trouble selling all of them. Many were melted down... Now, a sabre fetches a price easily 100 times what was paid all those years ago. It was the same when the Police scrapped the sabres 40 years ago. They were offered to the policemen for SEK 25, but most of them turned down the offer. Nowadays, a policeman's sabre can fetch up to SEK 2500. As always, it seems like one should've been active 30-40 years ago in order to have built a good, affordable collection

Tomorrow, I'll check up the other two offers. Hopefully I'll find something good for a decent amount. Hopefully...

Bjorn,
    I feel the same, when I think of swords I saw around everywhere for a few dollars, and certain ones that I owned but traded off, not knowing what they were!
    I'd like to find examples of early Swedish cavalry sabres also, but here in the U.S....chances are slim to none.

Indeed. I used to rent a house in Cambridge from the guy who owns the local hardware/ironmongery/metalworks shop. He saw some of my swords once and said that after the war (WWII that is) they used to use old swords instead of brazing rods (sp? terminology?) for welding...

He also said that the thought they still had all the old hilts left somewhere and I've always meant to get back in touch and ask to have a look.

Paul

4. Post The results...

The first seller (who phoned me yesterday morning) had two swords, a Swedish Navy cutlass P1856 (a cut-down P1757) without a scabbard, but in otherwise fine condition, and a crappy Indian tulwar (the el-cheapo type). He wanted SEK 600 ($60) for the sutlass, and got it.

The second seller had two swords, too; a Swedish Navy NCO's cutlass P1876, and a Swedish cavalry trooper's sabre (actually a pallasch) P1893. I bought the latter for SEK 1800 ($180), which is the higher end of the latest auction results, but it was in fine condition and complete with a P1912 steel scabbard.

The last seller turned out to have embellished the stuff over the phone. The "Swedish Police sabres" were another set of crappy Indian "sabres" (the kind sold for $30). I bought a rather amusing decorator bardisan head (cast iron) for SEK 200.

All in all, half the stuff I was offered this week-end was good, the rest was crap. The P1893 needed some cleaning, and turned out to be very nice. Haven't decided whether to keep it, though. Seems like the great bargains are thin on the ground...

Good to hear that you culled some gems out of the chaff. Your adventure reminds me of a "one that got away" story. I was raised (and live) in the southern U.S. There was a fellow who lived near the Champion Hills (U.S. Civil War) battlefield near Vicksburg, MS. He had a small business which he advertised with a billboard on the the nearby highway. On his billboard, he advertised that he also had Civil War artifacts. When I was 13, I talked my father into stopping and seeing what the man had. He had about 8 swords, mostly Union, but also a Confederate artillery short sword. I clearly remember the "CS" on the guard. He wanted $300.00 for it. Alas, my father didn't see the merit in the purchase. We talked about it and returned the following week to get another look at the CS artillery sword, but it was gone. A dealer from Richmond, Virginia, came through and bought all of his swords. He paid $500.00 for the CS artillery sword.

6. *Sniff*

I was contacted today by a fellow who inherited his grandfather's arms collection some years ago. He asked me if I would like to help him ID the stuff. Seems like he has a few $10,000's worth of 17th, 18th and 19th century swords. His grandpa bought them some 50 years ago when there was little or no interest in the stuff, and got swords for a few dollars apiece, which today fetch prices in four or five figures. Anyway, I think I'll take the opportunity to handle the swords and document some of them with replicas in mind.