Thread: My new Moonlit Forge Blade

My new Moonlit Forge Blade (Updated! now with photos)

Yep, I went back to Joe Walters for another blade after he did my wonderful yari in sapele early this year.

This time I had him make me a nice naginata-naoshi.

The blade is a fine 19" long.

All the fittings are custom by Joe. The wrap is midnight blue over black same. The saya looks much like a naginata saya however Joe reinforced the top 5 inches or so with same. It's lacquered blue and black with buffalo horn kurikata and tsunakuchi.

I should have the blade early next week and can supply some up close pictures of the harmon... till then, feast on these.

This one is a close up of the blackened same, the tsuba and fuchi, as well as the most excellent midnight blue tsuka ito.

This is one of the overall blade and saya. As I said the saya has a 5" strip of blackened same reinforcing the throat... The saya has a nice mix of blue and black lacquer.

This shot is the full tsuka. Notice how well the blackend same compliment the tsuka ito, and the copper fittings, especially the shitodome and menuki, which perfectly match the habaki. You can just barely see the copper seppa...

This last beauty shot is a nice one showing the flowing shape of the blade. You can see the very large turnback of the boshi. I am really liking this blade.

The final picture is a closeup of the major fittings, minus the seppa and menuki. Note that the tsuka wrap was not done in this picture, rest assured that the tsuka is wrapped in nice blue ito.

Last edited by William Frisbee; 06-06-2002 at 02:32 PM.

Pcitures now here...

OK so now I was able to update...

Re: My new Moonlit Forge Blade (Updated! now with photos)

Wow, this looks great!
    I start getting an impression that more people around here are getting interested in naginata/nagamaki naoshi waks... I myself was bitten by the bug and currently working on one of my own (based on reshaped KC "new Naginata" blade). I'm making all the fittings (in more traditional manner then in my previous projects), learning as I go, and it will probably take another month at least (I don't have much spare time unfortunately).
    Anyway, one question about this beauty: it appears to have quite pronounced saki-zori (sp?), I mean curvature close to the tip. Does it give you any trouble sheathing/unsheathing (especially fast, iai style)?

Alex Indman.

Smile Re: Pcitures now here...

That is so fine ! It's blade shape is amzingly similar to the Zhan Dao in the thread Mongolian, Chinese Sword Pics. I love this shape. Did'nt this blade shape come about for heavy cutting such as Mongolian heavy armor. Long beefy Naginata, Naginata naoshi katana and later Nagamaki?
    Long Life

Whoa!

Very, very cool, Mr. Frisbee! Joe Walters seems to be a very versatile craftsman. Enjoy.

Will Graves

Re: Re: My new Moonlit Forge Blade (Updated! now with photos)

Originally posted by AlexI
    Wow, this looks great!
    I start getting an impression that more people around here are getting interested in naginata/nagamaki naoshi waks... I myself was bitten by the bug and currently working on one of my own (based on reshaped KC "new Naginata" blade). I'm making all the fittings (in more traditional manner then in my previous projects), learning as I go, and it will probably take another month at least (I don't have much spare time unfortunately).
    Anyway, one question about this beauty: it appears to have quite pronounced saki-zori (sp?), I mean curvature close to the tip. Does it give you any trouble sheathing/unsheathing (especially fast, iai style)?

Alex Indman.
    Actually I don't have the blade yet. Joe is sending it out to me Saturday or Monday... so I don't know how nukitsuke is going to be yet... however due to the naginata design of the saya I would expect no issues. Noto however, has me a bit concerned, as it is a WIDE kissaki!

I am most assuredly going to need to get used to a different thickness of the saya in my obi!

Thats a beautiful sword, Joe does good work.be sure to tell us how it "feels" and maybe (if you do) how it cuts.

well, seeing as i was wondering who would get theirs first...

I WIN :P

i got my tanto (that i asked joe to make for me) today, i'm going to finish polishing it myself and then etch it.
    it's in a sapele shirasaya, and the thing is beautiful..

wish my digi cam didn't suck...

hopefully i get a free day and can come show it to you... kevin abd bryin were uber impressed, and bryon hthought i was being stupid by not letting it out of my seiught while i had it at the dojo. it's not that i don't trust anyone, it's just that i didn't want anyone cutting their frickin leg off.

i'm gonna go drool over it some more... maybe i'll make a bag for it this eekend... or.. something...

me

Re: well, seeing as i was wondering who would get theirs first...

Originally posted by Jeff Ellis
    I WIN :P

i got my tanto (that i asked joe to make for me) today, i'm going to finish polishing it myself and then etch it.
    it's in a sapele shirasaya, and the thing is beautiful..

me
    I told you that you would not be disappointed in Joe's work.

I cannot wait to get this wakizashi in hand.

As soon as I do, I will put some pictures up.

If you bring your tanto over, I can get some good pictures for ya.

Re: Re: well, seeing as i was wondering who would get theirs first...

i'm actually finishing the polish on it as i had joe stop at the 220 grit finish, there are a few tiny spots i can not get out, but it's coming out very nicely so far. i can't wait to etch it.

i took my yari to a sheet of galvanized steel the other day, it penetrated about an inch and a half before getting stuck. if i had put my ki into it, it probably wouldn't have messed the blade up like it did.. i'm fixing it htough. bad jeff....

i have a tsuba and tsuka (well, it looks like a strapped together shirasaya at the moment) for my kc naginata/tanto mounting. hopefully i get teh fuchi/kashira and tsuka ito soon. i want to get this done....

Re: My new Moonlit Forge Blade (Updated! now with photos)

Congrats on the blade. for a while now, I've been thinking about getting a new kat. I'm still debating whether or not to see the new cicada forge kats or getting one by joe. It seems getting one by joe will cost just a little more than the cicada so i am leaning towards that option. however, i need to do some more homework on the kat first.

I notice that Joe states that he likes hamon to extend almost to the ridgeline, however it doesn't look that way to me on your blade. Did you request that? Also, did you request that notare(i hope that's right!) hamon?

I love that color scheme! Midnight blue, eh?

Sincerely,
    Sherm

Originally posted by William Frisbee
    Yep, I went back to Joe Walters for another blade after he did my wonderful yari in sapele early this year.

This time I had him make me a nice naginata-naoshi.

The blade is a fine 19" long.

All the fittings are custom by Joe. The wrap is midnight blue over black same. The saya looks much like a naginata saya however Joe reinforced the top 5 inches or so with same. It's lacquered blue and black with buffalo horn kurikata and tsunakuchi.

I should have the blade early next week and can supply some up close pictures of the harmon... till then, feast on these.

This one is a close up of the blackened same, the tsuba and fuchi, as well as the most excellent midnight blue tsuka ito.

This is one of the overall blade and saya. As I said the saya has a 5" strip of blackened same reinforcing the throat... The saya has a nice mix of blue and black lacquer.

This shot is the full tsuka. Notice how well the blackend same compliment the tsuka ito, and the copper fittings, especially the shitodome and menuki, which perfectly match the habaki. You can just barely see the copper seppa...

This last beauty shot is a nice one showing the flowing shape of the blade. You can see the very large turnback of the boshi. I am really liking this blade.

The final picture is a closeup of the major fittings, minus the seppa and menuki. Note that the tsuka wrap was not done in this picture, rest assured that the tsuka is wrapped in nice blue ito.

Re: Re: My new Moonlit Forge Blade (Updated! now with photos)

Originally posted by Sherman Chow
    Congrats on the blade. for a while now, I've been thinking about getting a new kat. I'm still debating whether or not to see the new cicada forge kats or getting one by joe. It seems getting one by joe will cost just a little more than the cicada so i am leaning towards that option. however, i need to do some more homework on the kat first.

I notice that Joe states that he likes hamon to extend almost to the ridgeline, however it doesn't look that way to me on your blade. Did you request that? Also, did you request that notare(i hope that's right!) hamon?

I love that color scheme! Midnight blue, eh?

Sincerely,
    Sherm
    Sherm,

Trust me, put the money for the Cicada into a Moonlit blade. There is a BIG difference between getting a factory produced blade, and one that is made FOR you, and just you.

For this wakizashi I told Joe just to have fun and fit it out the way he wanted to. At first I had given Joe this huge list of what I wanted, but after thinking about it for a few weeks before he got into the finish and furnature of the blade, to just finish it the way he thought would look good, after-all he is the smith, not me.

This was the result, and I am more than happy...

Thumbs up Re: Niiiice work

Kuddos Will,

You really have a nice piece of craftsmanship there.

Been to Joe Walters site some months ago and was very well impressed by his personal approach to the entire swordsmithing and fittings process. Not being dogmatic or orthodox I do believe in contemporary ways for contemporary steels.

One question: did you take the pictures or did Joe did it?

You got mail

Enjoy the piece. The Moon is full and the Forge is lit.