Thread: Sword Shops in Boston area.

Sword Shops in Boston area.

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew of some good/interesting spots to check out in the Boston area. My college gets pretty lame on saturday afternoons and I make frequent trips into Boston but never have any luck finding any shops. One would think that there would be atleast a few. So if anyone knows some places please list them. Thanks a lot.
    Swing the bat.

Hi Derick,

There is the Chesapeake Knife and Tool shop down at the Faneuil marketplace, they stock swords. 3 South Market. I believe they are also in the Natick Mall.

Stoddards Cutlery, over by the common at 50 Temple place (off of Tremont) I don't know if they have swords but it's a great shop, I've not been there in a couple of decades. They also have a store in Chestnut Hill (rte 9).

There is the Met art museum on Huntinton ave (some arms) and the Gardner museum around the corner, also worth a visit.

In Worcester, you have the Higgins Armoury museum
    www.higgins.org. If you haven't been, it's worth the trip. They have some swords in the gift shop but not many.

Cheers

Hotspur; I need to get over to the Higgins more often

Thanks a lot Glen, I knew about the place in Faneuil hall, but the rest are all new to me. You just made my next weekend, that Higgins place definately looks interesting, I'm surprised I have never even heard of the place.
    Swing the bat.

Hi Derick,

You are most welcome. There are many, many museums in Massachusetts. Too many to link and list but a google for museum by area will lead the way. Two more in the Boston area worth the trip are the Peabody (natural history) in Cambridge and the Auto museum at Larz Anderson's old carriage house in Brookline.

There is the whole Freedom Trail routine in Boston but by poking around, you can find a great deal to do in the city. The best bules and brews are generally found on the Cambridge side of the river. For a pint of Guiness, the Plow and Stars
    on Massachusetts ave (between MIT and Harvard) is the spot.

Worcester (area) has a few other museums as well.

Deerfield has a nice museum. Springfield has the Springfield Armory. Plymouth has the Mayflower recreation and Plymouth Plantation.

Cheers

Hotspur; not quite native to the area but I've some experiences from the past forty years

Chesapeake Knife & Tool in Fanuel Hall and Natick Mall have been officially closed. The one in Natick Mall back closed for good in January and the one in Fanuel Hall closed for good sometime mid February. The company itself didn't go out of business, but just those 2 branches did. Chesapeake's only funtional swords were the Paul Chen/Hanwei Japanese styled swords. All the other swords they had were just wallhanger stainless steel novelty pieces.

Stoddards in the Chestnut Hill mall on Rte 9 doesn't sell swords. At one point in time when they did awhile back, they were just selling wallhanger stainless steel novelty pieces as well. The other Stoddards branch is in the Copley Mall and they mainly sell knifes as well.

There isn't much places to buy swords in Boston now. You're gonna have to buy online or travel far or really far to go pick one up.

Museums are nice places to see swords in Boston, but I haven't seen any that sold swords.
    Last edited by Walter Y.F. Wong; 02-27-2005 at 01:27 PM.
    Boston Samurai Arts
    www.bostonsamuraiarts.com

"They must find it difficult...Those that have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

Originally posted by Walter Y.F. Wong
    Chesapeake Knife & Tool in Fanuel Hall and Natick Mall have been officially closed. The one in Natick Mall back closed for good in January and the one in Fanuel Hall closed for good sometime mid February. The company itself didn't go out of business, but just those 2 branches did. Chesapeake's only funtional swords were the Paul Chen/Hanwei Japanese styled swords. All the other swords they had were just wallhanger stainless steel novelty pieces.

Stoddards in the Chestnut Hill mall on Rte 9 doesn't sell swords. At one point in time when they did awhile back, they were just selling wallhanger stainless steel novelty pieces as well. The other Stoddards branch is in the Copley Mall and they mainly sell knifes as well.

There isn't much places to buy swords in Boston now. You're gonna have to buy online or travel far or really far to go pick one up.

Museums are nice places to see swords in Boston, but I haven't seen any that sold swords.
    When I was last at Higgins Armory they only had wallhangers as well and a very limited selection of those, but they did have a decent selection of books on European martial arts and swords. Much of the museum store is oriented toward children though.
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    "Not to us Lord, Not to us, but to Thy Name be the Glory"

Adsum, Domine: Totus ingenibus meis ad pedes tuos proponeo.
    Duce et regere servum tui, Domine, ab omnibus temptationem, ita ut honor purus et donum meum incontaminatus sit.
    "Here am I, Lord: All my talents at Thy feet I lay. Guide and guard Thy servant, Lord, from all temptation, that honor may be spotless and my gift unstained."
    - Katherine Kurtz "Healer's Song"

I see. I hardly go out to Worcester. I'll have to make some plan to drive out there sometime and check out the Higgins Armory Museum.
    Boston Samurai Arts
    www.bostonsamuraiarts.com

"They must find it difficult...Those that have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

The Higgins is a great place to see Western weapons. Their display of Japanese weapons leaves something to be desired, but after all that's not the main theme of the museum. There's also (cough) Ninja World (cough) at the Rhode Island airport. They sell some Hanwei swords, and after some considerable cajoling and convincing that you are familiar with the proper handling of swords, they might even let you touch one!

Now that I know Cheepskate is closed, I can't think of any other places to buy swords in MA. Darnitall.
    "In what was destined to be a short-lived spectacle, a chicken, suspended by a balloon, floated through the Samurai bar's doorway." Gary Larson

The knife shops weren't really worthwhile sword shops anyway - if you knew everything about what they were selling you were okay, but otherwise you'd have to go on their... knowledge-lite.

Silvermane up in Haverhill is the only worthwhile sword shop in the state as far as I know. You can check their website at www.silvermane.com - as a web retailer they're mostly average, but they do have a storefront you can go to and actually look at stuff, and are smart enough to know stainless from useful and so on.

You should definitely go to the Higgins, try to get a tour so you aren't just looking at stuff in ignorance. But the only thing worth buying there are books from Chivalry Bookshelf.

Edited to include: Silvermane is also almost literally within spitting distance of a commuter rail station, but I have no idea what sort of service schedule that's on... and I wouldn't want to bring back my sword purchases on the T.

-andy