Thread: PPK just arrived (Pics)

PPK just arrived (Pics)

Hi all, just recieved my PPK delivered from the USA

Here are some pictures I have taken just briefly tonight. I will update this when I have some time (over the weekend) with proper pictures..

There is a small paint chip off the tsuba, and a some light scratching on the blade, but other than that, not issues.

The Hamon seems to be very bright on this blade..
    Last edited by Mark Duke; 11-06-2003 at 04:48 AM.
    -=Mark=-

NICE!

Let me be the first to say CONGRATULATIONS on a new blade!

Congratulations.. and that Hamon must be very bright indeed, or you must have taken some nice shots of it. or both.. either way, lovely swords aren't they..
    -Philip

"If you can keep your head."

hi,

Congrats on that blade it looks nice. I would certainly be inteested to hear about costs involved for importing the weapon, how long it took, and where you got it from.

And if you don't mind my asking, how much did it end up costing once you actually had it in your hands?
    The reason i ask is that there is a store here that sells the PPK but the sell it for $750. I was thinking there must be a cheaper way.

Hope you enjoy the new blade anyway, it certainly looks very nice. like you said, very pronounced Hamon.

Cheers
    "Is it really paranoia when everybody is out to get you"

"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way!"

"But when the great fall, the less must lead." - Aragorn, J.R.R Tolkien

$750.00

go to www.j-armory.com

they have the ppk for around $230.00

everyone here says the customer service is great

Bought from and Ebay Trader (well-known for sword-selling)

@ $230US + $50US postage. + Paid for via Bidpay Money Order + $16US.

In-total - it cost $438 AU.

3 weeks in total to recieve, (Bidpay took a while to send the Money Order > 4 days)

Not too shabby, espescially considering they are sold for $750au..

And this blade is niceee.
    -=Mark=-

Very nice Mark, any problems with Customs, post office etc?

GST?

It's has a much nicer Hamon then I thought, looks like the quality is improving or maybe you get lucky cause it's very pretty.
    Eng.

Don't let the unimportant things in life get in the way of the important things.

Originally posted by j.hill
    $750.00

go to www.j-armory.com

Sorry thats 750 AU, thats still a fortune but its about 525 US i think. Thanks for the link, looks like a far cheaper option.

Does anyone know where you can get a Cold Steel Warrior series katana for a similar price to the PPK?
    "Is it really paranoia when everybody is out to get you"

"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way!"

"But when the great fall, the less must lead." - Aragorn, J.R.R Tolkien

You have caught the hamon out nicely in the photos. Must of been a very bright light, Congratz on the new sword
    "We need to win the battle before we enter and in many ways we should never need to draw our sword" - Musashi

Originally posted by j.hill
    $750.00
    go to www.j-armory.com
    I'll be able to report on this tomorrow - I just talked to the owner on the phone, and will be going down to pick up a PK from J-Armory tomorrow afternoon. I'm lucky enough to be relatively "just down the street" on the same end of town.

My next search will be for an oak bokken from somewhere here in Austin - I've been unable to find a martial arts supply store, and I'm not about to use my new katana for anything but a wall-hanger while I learn!

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Bill Bradford
    I'll be able to report on this tomorrow - I just talked to the owner on the phone, and will be going down to pick up a PK from J-Armory tomorrow afternoon. I'm lucky enough to be relatively "just down the street" on the same end of town.

My next search will be for an oak bokken from somewhere here in Austin - I've been unable to find a martial arts supply store, and I'm not about to use my new katana for anything but a wall-hanger while I learn!
    lucky i wish j-armory is in my neighborhood actually if they were, i wouldn't have a bank account LOL.
    Alvin Allarey
    Windsor, Ontario Canada

Mark, please post a picture of the tip geometry if you can.

Thanks
    Eng.

Don't let the unimportant things in life get in the way of the important things.

wow, $750 AU for a PPK?? Up here in Brisbane one of the stores has a Practical Katana for $1175 AU !! Needless to say they havent sold it yet and it has been there for years.
    I usually buy most of my swords from overseas, and the only trouble I have had with postage was when Quarantine seized a sword I had arriving in Gunto mounts. They werent concerned that it was a sword, just that the parcel contained wood and leather which looked quite grotty. They threatened to have it destroyed unless I payed a sum of money to have it gamma radiated. Luckily I got around all that by taking them a statutory declaration that it was 55 + years old.
    I have never had a problem with Iaito or Chen Blades though.

Cheers

Hi Mark! Congrats on your new blade! I have a PPK also, and I'm very pleased with it. Enjoy, Enjoy!

$750.00.....I think you gave us Yankees a heart attack But $525 US dollars sounds better....that must've been a big charge for shipping, customs, etc. etc.???

Have fun! Great pics by the way....captured the beauty of the hamon very well!

Cheers,
    Restita DeJesus

"The expectations of life depend upon diligence;
    The mechanic that would perfect his work, must first sharpen his tools."
    - Confucius

http://www.facebook.com/SeattleWushu

Originally posted by alvin allarey
    lucky i wish j-armory is in my neighborhood actually if they were, i wouldn't have a bank account LOL.
    I picked up the PK about an hour ago; it's beautiful. James actually hand-picked his two best ones and let me choose between the two.

I'll post pictures in a separate thread later.

I like it. I'm about to get a Japanese-style sword too.

That ppk looks nice. It's nicely designed.

Yeah, that is just about the nicest PPK I've seen. Sure beats mine! lol.

-E

Re: PPK just arrived (Pics)

Mark,
    congrats on your new blade! It looks beautiful in your pics, nice 'n shiny! Do you plan to cut with it, or do forms, or what?
    I just ordered one tonight, btw - it should be here the 17th of November or shortly after!
    Chris

Update (more pix)

-=Mark=-

looks very nice Mark, you must be very happy. How sharp is it?

What is the acceptable way of gauging sharpness around here? cutting paper? Throw a silk scarf on it like in "The Bodyguard" ?
    Eng.

I would say that if it can shave off hairs from your arm, it's razor sharp. If it can cut paper easily, them it's near razor sharp. yada yada. And then, if it can cut through a 5cm thick steel cable, it's a super blade.

edit: Well, they're there. Can't see them that good unfortunately. Oh well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hope you guys and gals like the new piccies
    -=Mark=-