Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting a Master Sword

Starting a Master Sword

Hello.
    I've decided to commit to making my daughter Therese' birthday present. A custom made, master sword.

Since I' can't embarrass my self too much more, and people seem to enjoy following "works in progress", I thought I would let you all in on the project from the beginning.

One reason is, I'm not above taking some good suggestions, or criticisms. This all I got done today. I haven't picked up the hammer in a few weeks, so I have a weenie arm right now.

The steel is used, (leaf spring), 5160. I usually only use new stock, as I'm sort of a steel snob, but what the heck.

Right out of the coals, ready to smack. The last heat of the day.

A personal note to my daughter Margaret; Hi Margaret. If you are lurking, you know how to keep a secret right?? If not, I know someone who is going to do extra dishes!!! (She hates dishes ).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Barnyard bladesmith, burnt in the front, and frozen in the rear. Comic book metallurgist, too dumb to know that I can't do that.
    "I don't believe in the no-win scenario".. Captain Kirk.

It's good to be skilled, but better to be talented.
    It's good to be talented, but better to be gifted.
    It's good to be gifted, but best of all to be determined. - Me

"The precise balance of brains and balls, will ALWAYS trump those who have too much of one, and not enough of the other". - me

Looks great. I am sure that every Zelda fan has tossed around the idea of getting/making the Master Sword (which implies that I have ) but I have always come acorss that same designe hurdle. "What to do about the corssguard?"

So, that is my question to you

I wish you the best of luck.
    Regret is a fools excuse from Karma.

Originally posted by Paul Magnusson
    Looks great. I am sure that every Zelda fan has tossed around the idea of getting/making the Master Sword (which implies that I have ) but I have always come acorss that same designe hurdle. "What to do about the corssguard?"

So, that is my question to you

I wish you the best of luck.
    Yep. That is one clunky cross guard.

Here's the plan; I'm going to carve it out of aluminum, and anodize it dark blue. I don't care for paint. Then coat it with a matte top coat.
    The yellow "gem like thing" that is near the guard, is going to be some amber that I bought from a guy at a gem show. It came from the Baltics. It is very light and will not add to the weight.

This is going to be as functional as I can get it, and still resemble the Master sword.

The grip will be a blue leather wrapped, oak handle, stabilized with my "special formula".

Thanks for the luck. Jerry
    Barnyard bladesmith, burnt in the front, and frozen in the rear. Comic book metallurgist, too dumb to know that I can't do that.

"The precise balance of brains and balls, will ALWAYS trump those who have too much of one, and not enough of the other". - me

Sounds great! I look forward to seeing the next stages of development.

Cheers
    Regret is a fools excuse from Karma.

Originally posted by Jerry Bennett

The grip will be a blue leather wrapped, oak handle, stabilized with my "special formula".

Thanks for the luck. Jerry
    If he is not above doing a "fantasy sword", I may out source the hanle wrap to Alex. he does awsome grips. Even though he is the only guy I know that hasn't "handled" the Master sword.

Thumbs up

Hey Jerry, I'm really looking forward to seeing this come together! Lots of folks would like to see an awesome master sword replica anyway, and me -- I guess I'm just curious to see what goes into making something like this.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Josh Aldous
    Hey Jerry, I'm really looking forward to seeing this come together! Lots of folks would like to see an awesome master sword replica anyway, and me -- I guess I'm just curious to see what goes into making something like this.

Good luck!
    Thanks Josh.

I'm hoping to keep it under 2 1/2 pounds. it will be to scale for a 12 year old girl, so that helps. Her B-day is the end of July, so I have a little window.

I'm still working on that little wak also. Found some scrap aluminum for the cross guard.

One thing about the master sword, it definately is open to interpretation! Jerry

BTW, don't be afraid to pipe in for a sugestion, one reason why I'm posting this. Lot's of Zelda fans here, and I want to do right by my daughter. Emphasis is on function though.
    Last edited by Jerry Bennett; 04-19-2005 at 05:00 AM.

This is a great project, Jerry! I'm looking forward to seeing it progress since I'm one of the many Zelda fans around these here parts.

I think you have a good idea with the aluminum for the cross since that is easily the hardest part of making this sword a reality.
    "The truth shall make ye fret."

Originally posted by J. Padgett
    This is a great project, Jerry! I'm looking forward to seeing it progress since I'm one of the many Zelda fans around these here parts.

I think you have a good idea with the aluminum for the cross since that is easily the hardest part of making this sword a reality.
    Thanks.

I'll have to use some tricks from the airplane making biz, to lighten it up and still be structaual.

I've had to catch up on spring chores the last few weeks, so I haven't had time to swing the hammer untill today. I won't bore you with every session, but thought I would up date you so didn't think I abandoned the project

.Missed one
    Last edited by Jerry Bennett; 05-07-2005 at 02:27 PM.

Here is one out of sequence. Too much carbon monoxide

You've heard the expression, "there are no mistakes in bladesmithing, only design changes", well I'm letting you in on one first hand. The blank I was forging, developed a crack in the tang. I have no idea how, I was working the opposite end, and took precautions by rounding the edges with a rotary file.

SO, I happened to be in Seattle the other weekend, and was able to obtain a piece of 5160 stock from a famous sword maker there, (thanks Gus), so, in order to make up lost time, now the sword has turned into a stock removal project. Sort of. I actually forged the tang as I like the shoulder a little thicker than the rest of the blade.

Rough lay out of stock.
    Last edited by Jerry Bennett; 05-29-2005 at 03:40 PM.

After trimming with abrasive wheel, forging tang area,

Using my trusty angle grinder to form the profile.

Profile roughed out.

Next, distal tapering and bevels, with fitting the crossguard.

Jerry,

I know what you're gonna do when you retire from Boeing...

It's good to know that there will be one more swordmaker/master in the making out there... Better teach your kids while they're still young... Maybe they should apprentice with you, or Gus, or "Tinker," or John? Sounds like a plan to me...

Keep it up, Jerry. She's lookin' good!

Carter
    Freedom isn't free...

"There is nothing so comforting in a dark room, as three feet of cold steel." -Robert Anson Heinlein, American Patriot.

TANSTAAFL

Thanks for the encouragement Carter.

Still don't know why the tang cracked. I tried to break it off to see the grain size. I stuck it in the hardie hole and it wouldn't break at first. Finally at about 120 degrees, it failed. The grain was nice and small. I kind of half @$$ed normalize as I go, by making a big pile of charcoal and covering the whole thing with a scrap piece of insa wool.

Anyway, I have learned quite a lot from Gus and Tinker. It's easy for me to learn from them as we have similar backgrounds, and they are very generous and patient with passing along knowledge.

As far as the kids go, they find sword making interesting, but they would much rather "use" them. Jerry

I have a question as to your forge setup, Jerry. I can see that it is an oil drum or something filled with something granular with a clay top to it. what is the stuff around the clay tube-top? Is it sand? gravel? also, what do you use as an air supply?
    Thanks,
    Archie

Hi Archie.

It's a 55 gal drum cut length wise, with hard wood ash as a lining. The tuyere is just a piece of 2'"black pipe with 1/4" holes, fed with a squirrel cage fan, ( a big one). The pedestal is another barrel, with a saddle cut. I like it, as it eliminates trip hazards in and around the forge. It's uglier than a mud fence, but is very versatile. You can make the fire box as big or small, as shallow or deep as you wish.

I better make an installment since I posted here.
    Measuring the edge line of the flat stock. It was easy since it is .250 stock. The line will be datum -A- for distal tapering. I used a portable belt grinder, which works well for me, as I like my work stationary. You can CAREFULLY clamp it in a large vise for a poor man's belt grinder. I would recommend this set up for finishing only though. Not heavy removal.

Here it is, all nice and taperd flat, ready for beveling.

Hey, that turned out great, nice job.

I can't wait for the finished job!
    Johnny Montalvo

"Standing before the enemy,
    he strikes
    but I am already behind him."
    -Morihei Ueshiba

Hey Dad,
    Here's the pic of the pommel I just sketched up..let me know if its the design u want, or maybe something different.

~Katie
    ~Get a life? I'm a gamer! I have lots of lives!~
    ~~~
    If you're wondering how he eats and breathes and other science facts,
    just repeat to yourself "it's just a show, I should really just relax"
    ~*~

Thanks Katie.
    That's pretty straight forward. That is the one from Ocarina of time right? Even though the blade I'm making is basically the Windwaker type, the cross guard and pommel will be from Ocarina. That seems to be the most practical combo.

The Master sword is definitely open to interpretation anyway

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast