Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Books and articles published on Iranian Arms and Armor

Originally posted by Alex B.
    Congratulations on the interesting trip. Perhaps once you have a deal set with a publishing house, you could use one or two of the pictures to use in promoting the book.
    Thank you Alex.

I found a publishing house and we are negotiating. I am not allowed to publish any pics here, but when the book is in the publication stage I might publish one or two for the promotion. I have taken pictures of marvellous pieces from all periods and I am sure that it will be interesting for many people.

Regards

Manoucher

Keep us posted on developments with the book too -- I'm sure a number of us are going to want to buy it!!
    'S coma leam, 's coma leam cogadh no sith,
    Marbhar 'sa cogadh, no crochar 'san t-sith mi.

It's all the same to me war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace.

Originally posted by Dale Seago
    Keep us posted on developments with the book too -- I'm sure a number of us are going to want to buy it!!
    Thank you Dale. I defintely will. THis week I am going to meet up a renowned publishing house.

Regards

Manoucher

Felix, G. McCormack, Ian, Matt and Darius,

Thank you for your kind words. I was in Iran for two weeks and analyzed further pieces. Among them Parthian swords and daggers. Last Friday I had a very successful meeting with a publishing house. They are very interested. I think that the book will be published by the end of this year.

THanks for your support.

Best regards

Manoucher M.

Originally posted by Manoucher M.
    Thank you Dale. I defintely will. THis week I am going to meet up a renowned publishing house.

Regards

Manoucher

this is definitely exciting!! hope your meeting went well with the publishing house.. n lets hope the book can get out asap ya!

3 cheers for Manoucher!!

I cannot wait to see this book. You are very lucky to have been able to examine these beautiful Persian pieces up close. I for one will be definitely buying this book when it comes out, and it is great to finally see some good resources on Persian weaponry. One problem though, I live in Australia, so this book is going to cost me a fortune. It will still be worth it though, so good luck with the publishing company!

I just merged two related threads here. Thank you Aishah and Darius for your kind words.

Regards

Manoucher

Hi Manoucher, Being half Iranian, deeply interested in weaponry and fasinated by learning about my heritage, be it history as in kitob o Faredusi or in weapons I would love to buy your book.

Any projected date of release as of yet?

Zardkanlou

Naveed jan,

I have been working on it very hard. In the beginning of March I will negotiate the details of the contract with the Publishing House. The costs are high and therefore I really appreciate encouraging words like yours. I hope that my book will be published by the end of this year.

Best regards

Manoucher

Book publishing

Dear Manoucher,

I look forward to your publishing experience. I want to use it so that I do not make the same mistakes on my own work, tentatively titled IRANIAN IRON AGE I & II SWORDS AND DAGGERS

I just about have enough swords and daggers from Luristan, Azerbaijan and Gilan Provinces to make the book and may be ready to start writing text later this year.

Re: Book publishing

Originally posted by John Piscopo
    Dear Manoucher,

I look forward to your publishing experience. I want to use it so that I do not make the same mistakes on my own work, tentatively titled IRANIAN IRON AGE I & II SWORDS AND DAGGERS

I just about have enough swords and daggers from Luristan, Azerbaijan and Gilan Provinces to make the book and may be ready to start writing text later this year.
    Dear John,

I am very happy that you decided to publish a book on this subject John and would like to thank you for your efforts.

I am using the inventory of Iranian museums which were excavated under archeological auspices for the period you mentioned as well. I am using some Iranian next to western sources as well. I think the interesting thing for you will be that these pieces are excavated by archeologists and not via illegal diggings.
    What do you think of long swords from Luristan John, do you think they existed? As you know there are many fakes around. Do you have more Luristan or Gilan pieces?

Regards

Hi Manoucher
    I can't wait to see your book.... this is a grand topic !!
    it will be a pleasure to look at these artifacts.... especially the shamsirs

will there be photo's of watered steel?

I can't wait till the release date
    take care my friend
    Greg

Hi Greg

Defintely. The book will have mor than 2000 colored pictures. Many of them of wootz blades. You know how much I love wootz, in my opinion the best steel which has been ever made. I can look for hours at some of the pictures I took at museums. Simly marvellous.

Regards

Manoucher

fantastic !
    this makes my day
    also in my opinion... wootz is by far the most interesting steel to look at... The Persians had great techniques to bring out the best in this steel.
    Indeed, this will be a great book to read !!!!

please keep us informed
    thank you
    Greg

Book publishing

Hi Manoucher,

we are very intersted in your book and can´t wait to get it,
    also my collector friends will buy it.
    Good luck for completing !

Alex
    vH

I wil be very interested.

Ross

Dear Greg, Alex and Ross,

Thank you very much for your kind words. Next week on Thursday is the important day as we will negotiate the whole procedure.

I will keep you posted. Things look very good.

Regards

Manoucher

Manoucher - put me down for 2.
    When wrestling is ended, the owners and the winner camels return home with proud and happiness while spectators are delighted of having an exciting day.

Thank you very much Alina for your kind words.

Regards

Manoucher

Just a thought - what about a multi-language text (paragraphs in two or three languages) or even web-based alternative language text accessible to buyers of the book?

There IS a demand - your publishers just have to think "out of the box" while conserving their costs.

Good Luck!

Ross

Originally posted by Ross Dean
    Just a thought - what about a multi-language text (paragraphs in two or three languages) or even web-based alternative language text accessible to buyers of the book?

There IS a demand - your publishers just have to think "out of the box" while conserving their costs.

Good Luck!

Ross
    Ross

Thanks for your idea. The book will be published in English. I think if the costs are covered we will go for a Persian version.

I have very good news. IN case this book sells well so that the costs are covered, I will publish another book on the inventory of Astan Qods(it is like Vatikan of Iran with lots of museums and king donations), which is another institution in Iran which has a tremendous amounts of marvellous swords and armor.

So everything depends on the success of this project. I count on all of you, please do help me, as the costs are huge.

Regards

Manoucher

Manucher's book

Dear Manoucher,

Could you make arrangements for advance purchases of your book? This might assist your finacial situation, even if only a few hundred were sold in advance.

I would like to see your chapter headings if that would be possible, a good way for all of us to get an idea of the scope of your work and the number of pages devoted to each era and how you are organizing the work.

Best regards, John Piscopo

Re: Manucher's book

Originally posted by John Piscopo
    Dear Manoucher,

Could you make arrangements for advance purchases of your book? This might assist your finacial situation, even if only a few hundred were sold in advance.

I would like to see your chapter headings if that would be possible, a good way for all of us to get an idea of the scope of your work and the number of pages devoted to each era and how you are organizing the work.

Dear John,

I will see the publishing house managers on March 10 and will talk to them regarding this.

Regarding the chapters headings, we need to wait as I have to travel to Iran since some periods are still missing, last time I was there I could not finish my projects. Time is short and I work full-time here and spend all my vacation in Iranian museums. I am really thankful to my wife for all her support and understanding.

regards

Manoucher

Manoucher jan,

Your book is truly a noble endeavor that will be an immense step towards reviving the beautiful culture of Iranian swordmaking.

Your work falls in the line of Ferdowsi and many other brave Iranians that have endured so much over thousands of years to maintain the Iranian identity and culture no matter who tried to destroy it.

Khojasteh baad!

I will definately be a patron of this book!

Navid.

Manoucher's bool

Dear Manoucher,

What does the publisher say that the price will be? My friend Dick Bezdek who has written books on US, British and German swords (American Swords & Swordmakers) has told me that he and the publisher agreed to sell his books at $75., he could buy them directly from the publisher at $35. and sell them at the local gun and militaria shows where he shares a table.

The Mahboubian book cost $195 when published and has now been discounted, probably because of lack of demand due to the high price. I reviewed it on Amazon and have promoted it but I suspect that the book has not been profitable.

The economics are formidable in publishing, especially in Europe. That is why I have been interested in China for my own if I get it off the ground, about half as much as in Europe or the US.

Have the Iranian museums that have allowed you to examine their weapons collections done any metallurgical testing? That was one of the strengths of Mahboubian.

The Mahboubian family was quite wealthy and able to subsidize their publication. They did the examinations as part of their collecting regimen. I am hoping that the museums have already done the work and are letting you publish their findings.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast