Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Books and articles published on Iranian Arms and Armor

Re: Manoucher's bool

Originally posted by John Piscopo
    Dear Manoucher,

What does the publisher say that the price will be? My friend Dick Bezdek who has written books on US, British and German swords (American Swords & Swordmakers) has told me that he and the publisher agreed to sell his books at $75., he could buy them directly from the publisher at $35. and sell them at the local gun and militaria shows where he shares a table.

The Mahboubian book cost $195 when published and has now been discounted, probably because of lack of demand due to the high price. I reviewed it on Amazon and have promoted it but I suspect that the book has not been profitable.

The economics are formidable in publishing, especially in Europe. That is why I have been interested in China for my own if I get it off the ground, about half as much as in Europe or the US.

Have the Iranian museums that have allowed you to examine their weapons collections done any metallurgical testing? That was one of the strengths of Mahboubian.

The Mahboubian family was quite wealthy and able to subsidize their publication. They did the examinations as part of their collecting regimen. I am hoping that the museums have already done the work and are letting you publish their findings.

Best regards, John Piscopo
    Dear John

I do not know the price. As I mentioned it before, it is too early to discuss this. This book has many many pages with more than 2000 colored pictures, besides the black and white pics and sketches and the references and the work will be unqiue as half of them are Persian sources. So this book has many new information to offer throughout Iranian histotry not pre-Islamic and Islamic, but a historical line as it has been the approach in Iran.

I am sure that many collectors in the commmunity will be interested in this book, collectors of bronze and iron weapons as well as wootz. Besides Iranians living in the USA and Europe will be supporting my book, I am sure of that. Therefore, I hope and think that I will be in a better position much better position to market this book. Additionally, Iranians in Iran will buy this, even in English. All this will lead to support of this project which of course will lead to further publications I hope.

I prefer a publishing house here. Because of quality of course and because I need to check with them on a continuous basis. The publishing house I am negotiating is a renowned one and has an excellent reputation in the publishing of art books. Please do understand that I cannot and will not reveal more information at this stage of the process and I am sure you understand my point.

Regarding testing I am sure your are talking about bronze. Please note I will present the bronze collection of Muzeye Meli Iran (Iran Bastan) and Reza Abbasi. Both have done best research and have the best excavated pieces which I will present. They have the best analysts and archeoligist at their disposal. And I am using this asset of course. Besides my book will concentrate on weapons not only like other books on bronze objects which are mostly dedicated to other objects as well, which is interesting of course but not related to the study of weapons.

At this point I would like to repeat that I am proud and happy that I had the opportunity to handle those pieces. Let me just give you an example, I handled that golden akenakes from Hamadan, in much better shape as the similar piece in Met, the blade is intact as well, three more akenakes, wonderful pieces. My book will present for the first time excavated Parthian swords, and Sassanian swords not only p-shaped but the early ones depicted on reliefs. So you see what I mean. Please note that contrary to many books on bronze weapons which need to rely on primary sources for analysis, my book analyzes excavated examples. I think this is excellent, especially when you take the fact into consideration that the majority of Luristan bronze in the west are fakes and even if they are smuggled objects, unfortunately determining the provenance is almost impossible as the smugglers ruined the whole archeological layers on the burial mounds. Very tricky. My journey to Iran showed me how much damage these smugglers did to the cultural heritage of Iran.

John I really appreciate your support and encouraging words and want to thank you. I also thank you for all the contributions you have made regarding the Iranian bronze weapons. I truly believe that you should also publish your collection. The more published books we have in the field of weapons, the better it is.

Thank you for your support again.

Regards

Manoucher

P.S. BTW what do you mean with "Manoucher's bool?"

Originally posted by Navid Mansourian
    Manoucher jan,

Your book is truly a noble endeavor that will be an immense step towards reviving the beautiful culture of Iranian swordmaking.

Your work falls in the line of Ferdowsi and many other brave Iranians that have endured so much over thousands of years to maintain the Iranian identity and culture no matter who tried to destroy it.

Khojasteh baad!

I will definately be a patron of this book!

Navid.
    Navid jan,

Kheili motshaker. Thank you for your kind words. They are really encouraging as I am getting less sleep, working a full-time job and writing this book. I really appreciate your support.

Thank you my friend for your kind words.

Regards

Manoucher

Manoucher's book

Dear Manoucher,

It means I am staying up too late on the computer reading emails and my finger hit the l key rather than the k key. I was too drowsy to catch the error.

Old age is catching up to me too early.

Analysis is also necessary on iron weapons. C-14 will tell you how good a steeling job was done on the blades. This would be important because I believe that the first true steel blades were Iranian and discovery and publication of that discovery would be a huge advance in our understanding of the history of the sword.

I share your disgust at the way the grave robbers have destroyed archaeological sites, not only in Iran but throughout Western Asia. Too bad the governments in the area have been unable to properly police their own heritage while their own people destroy it.

Best regards, John

Re: Manoucher's book

Dear Manoucher,

It means I am staying up too late on the computer reading emails and my finger hit the l key rather than the k key. I was too drowsy to catch the error.

Old age is catching up to me too early.

Analysis is also necessary on iron weapons. C-14 will tell you how good a steeling job was done on the blades. This would be important because I believe that the first true steel blades were Iranian and discovery and publication of that discovery would be a huge advance in our understanding of the history of the sword.

I share your disgust at the way the grave robbers have destroyed archaeological sites, not only in Iran but throughout Western Asia. Too bad the governments in the area have been unable to properly police their own heritage while their own people destroy it.

Best regards, John
    Dear John

I see now what you mean . Following Dr Feuerbach, wootz steel was even probably made in Luristan meaning that many iron blades could be wootz!!! Or steel.
    Fact is that a Sassanian sword which was investigated by Dr. Feuerbach showed a crucible steel blade meaning that that it was not iron. My sources say that Parthians were famous for making steel blades (the texts do not talk about iron).

The question remains then, what is iron? Lots of the so-called iron blades are indeed steel.

If I get you a small sample of a blade could you determine the C14?

As a matter of fact Iran has very stringent policies now to protect its archeological sites and I am very happy about it. As you know there were not only locals who committed this crime, a number of Iranians living abroad and also Western people masterminded these activities. You know what I mean John, and we do not want to drop names, but all this led to the destruction of these sites. Thanks heaven, due to strict laws and regulations, these activities have been brought to stop and besides Iran has still many things to offer.

Regards

Manoucher
    Regards

Manoucher

Manoucher's Book.

Manoucher's Book

Dear Manoucher,

It will take a University laboratory to do such testing.

I have a metallurgical report on a Luristan mask pommel sword that carbon dates it to 1100 BC. This is much earlier than most other attributions I have seen.

The C-14 is used for dating, not for determining the alloy of the sword. What I want to know is when the introduction of carbon through charcoal in the forging process started to be used. This requires dating the blade and then testing the alloy for carbon content.

I know what has to be done but I am not technically proficient enough to do it myself. Such tests can be expensive, one would be easily practical but for a proper study, all available iron blades should be examined in this way, hundreds of swords could mean an enormous cost.

The result of the study could mean that you would know that the first deliberately made carbon steel blades date to 1000 +/- 50 BC and the first pattern welded blades at some time after that and the introduction of wootz after that.

Photomicrographs of the iron structure would also be helpful when showing both pattern welded and wootz blades to illustrate your discoveries.

These would be significant discoveries on a first time publication and could draw archaeologists, universities and museums to purchase your book.

Best regards, John
    Best regards, John

Re: Manoucher's Book

OK John

Now I know what you mean, I totally missed your point. All blades in my book are dated by museum experts, since a) they come from controlled excavations and b) the carbon testing was done on them anyhow.

Did you read the PhD thesis of Dr Anne Feuerbach on crucible steel? If not I would highly recommend it.

AS far as when wootz was introduced, it is interesting, you read what I quoted on Sassanid swords (testing showed that result). Parthian steel was clear as well.

I personally think that in the past many swords were introduced as iron and as you mentioned it needs technical analysis. My book cointains lots of information (historical accounts and Iranian sources) I also cross referenced any book which has been published in the west. As far as I could. Now it is time for me to stop, otherwise I will never be finished! I think 850-1000 pages will be fair amount of research. The pieces there should be a major attraction for any museum curator and collector and researcher alike. Note that I had access not only to pieces on display (which are unknown in the west) but also in safes of museums. So that will be revolutionary. I think that even publishing it as catalogue will be revolutionary! You will see what I mean when you see the wootz pieces and some bronze weapons of course.

Later on, I am planning to publish a book only on Iranian martial arts, a museum catalogue on Astan Qods and as well a book on contemporary Iranian smiths. All these projects depend on the success of this book, so let's keep the finger crossed and see.

Regards

Manoucher

Manoucher book.

Did you read the PhD thesis of Dr Anne Feuerbach on crucible steel? If not I would highly recommend it.

AS far as when wootz was introduced, it is interesting, you read what I quoted on Sassanid swords (testing showed that result). Parthian steel was clear as well.

Dear Manoucher,

I don't know anything about the work by Feuerbach. Has it been published?

Unfortuneately, I have never seen anything at published through the publication of Achaemenid or Parthian swords. I have seen a few Sasanian swords. Illustrations I have seen are on sculptured kings and warriors, not excavated actual swords.

One of the severe problems is that we may all have seen genuine Achaemenid and Parthian weapons but we have not been able to recognize them for what they are because we have no reference works. There might be dozens of them floating around that have been misidentified.

Best regards, John

Re: Manoucher book.

I don't know anything about the work by Feuerbach. Has it been published?

Dear John
    - You can order it and you get it as a CD. Excellent work. You need to read that.

Unfortuneately, I have never seen anything at published through the publication of Achaemenid or Parthian swords. I have seen a few Sasanian swords. Illustrations I have seen are on sculptured kings and warriors, not excavated actual swords.

- There are actually good publications on Sassanian P-shaped swords, archeological examples. On Achamenid there are some in Farsi. But I will cover this area

One of the severe problems is that we may all have seen genuine Achaemenid and Parthian weapons but we have not been able to recognize them for what they are because we have no reference works. There might be dozens of them floating around that have been misidentified.

- Yes exactly I will speak about this as well.

Regards

Manoucher

I just wanted to point out to a very important point:

When you do scientific excavations, you can determine the age by the layers of earth and other relevant information which is provided there. The position of the dead and the position between buried objects and the dead.

The smugglers destroy all these information, hence later only carbon analysis remains! But a scientific excavation gives you already tons of information even without the carbon analysis.

Best regards

Manoucher

Manoucher, yes you point out the great benefit of proper stratigraphic archaeological excavation. One problem I have run into, being both a collector and having received training in archaeology, is that archaeologists dont like to talk to collectors because there is often no provenance, and collectors have a hard time relating with archaeologists because collectors appreciate the aesthetics of objects...they appreciate objects in a much different way than archaeologists.
    I am very excited about your book and want to offer more encouragement for you! Your endeavor is massive and it is great to see that you have so much support. From what I have heard about your travels etc in creating this book, you could write a book about writing your book! Best of luck, -Garrett
    Garrett McCormack

Originally posted by G. McCormack
    Manoucher, yes you point out the great benefit of proper stratigraphic archaeological excavation. One problem I have run into, being both a collector and having received training in archaeology, is that archaeologists dont like to talk to collectors because there is often no provenance, and collectors have a hard time relating with archaeologists because collectors appreciate the aesthetics of objects...they appreciate objects in a much different way than archaeologists.
    I am very excited about your book and want to offer more encouragement for you! Your endeavor is massive and it is great to see that you have so much support. From what I have heard about your travels etc in creating this book, you could write a book about writing your book! Best of luck, -Garrett
    Garrett,

Thank you very much for your kind words. You have brought up very interesting points.

Thanks

Regards

Manoucher

Excellent news

I met with two managing directors of the German Publishing House. We have agreed on many points and they are going to send me a contract draft. We agreed to get the book published until October this year (the latest the end of this year). I am very happy to work with them, they are very professional and very gentle and nice people.

The project is very interesting and they published some of my pics of the museum, excellent quality, I have never seen such a quality published on paper as a proof. You will love the quality of the pictures.

I am really happy.

Regards

Manoucher

congrats !
    this is fantastic news..... i'm so glad

I can't wait to see ....

take care my friend
    Greg

Originally posted by Greg Thomas
    congrats !
    this is fantastic news..... i'm so glad

I can't wait to see ....

take care my friend
    Greg
    Greg,

Everyday I am getting closer to the realization of my dream. I have been working very hard on the book. Hours and hours, no weekends and no free time . But it is worth it. I am sure you will love the book.

Take care my friend.

Regards

Manoucher

Originally posted by Manoucher M.
    Excellent news

I met with two managing directors of the German Publishing House...

Regards

Manoucher
    Excellent! Please let us know when copies are available.

Ross

Both of my parents are Iranian and my father and I are very interested in persian history, culture, and weapons. We would both certainly buy a copy of this book.

Movafagh basheed! (Good luck)

Originally posted by H.ReZa
    Both of my parents are Iranian and my father and I are very interested in persian history, culture, and weapons. We would both certainly buy a copy of this book.

Movafagh basheed! (Good luck)
    Dear H.ReZA,

Thank you very much indeed for your kind words and support. Say my best regards to your father and thank him for his interest as well. What is your first name? Sorry I did not know it exactly as H. stands for many names in Farsi.

I wish you all the best.

Best regards

Manoucher M.

Originally posted by Ross Dean
    Excellent! Please let us know when copies are available.

Ross
    Ross

Thank you for your continuous support. I will also talk about swortdmanship practices in Iran. I am sure you will love it. For future publications I am planning to publish a book on Iranian martial arts. I am sure it will be very interesting for you.

Best regards

Manoucher M.

Hi Manoucher,
    Sounds like this book will be filling a gap which has been left open far too long. I will certainly be commiting to purchase a copy for myself; and I know many enthusiasts who probably feel the same. If I can help to distribute copies of the book via my website, please dont hesitate to ask.
    Kind Regards,
    Runjeet Singh
    www.akaalarms.com
    ‘The tiger amongst weapons (the sword), the ender of wars, the enemy of the shield is the sword.
    They attain salvation from the net of death whoever take hold of it (the sword) once.’
    (Akali Nihang Guru Gobind Singh, Shastar Naam Mala, Dasam Guru Durbar)

Book distribution

Dear Manoucher,

My AncientWeapons Yahoo site is also open for distribution as will the Iranica-L site. Other sites will also be available if we are members and simply post a book review when we get our copies.

Book reviews work well in drawing attention. I have posted book reviews on the Negahban, Muscarella and Mahboubian books on Amazon.com and get people contacting me regularly.

Originally posted by Runjeet Singh
    Hi Manoucher,
    Sounds like this book will be filling a gap which has been left open far too long. I will certainly be commiting to purchase a copy for myself; and I know many enthusiasts who probably feel the same. If I can help to distribute copies of the book via my website, please dont hesitate to ask.
    Kind Regards,
    Runjeet Singh
    www.akaalarms.com
    Hi Runjeet,

Thank you very much for your support. I really appreciate your generous offer and will definitely contact you when the book is published. Thank you.

Kind regards

Manoucher

Re: Book distribution

Dear Manoucher,

My AncientWeapons Yahoo site is also open for distribution as will the Iranica-L site. Other sites will also be available if we are members and simply post a book review when we get our copies.

Book reviews work well in drawing attention. I have posted book reviews on the Negahban, Muscarella and Mahboubian books on Amazon.com and get people contacting me regularly.

Dear John,

Thank you very much for your generous offer and help. I really appreciate it. I will contact you when the book ispublished.

Best regards

Manoucher

Hello,

I also cant wait for this book, we've been hearing about it for a year now. I hope this book covers the gaps of knowledge on Mid-eastern and especially Persian swords. I would love to see pics of Persian Safavid wootz. Even if the book isnt in English I shall buy it, just for the pics! I hope everything goes well and it gets published as soon as possible. Good Luck!

Regards,

Mark

Mark

Thank you. You will see many pics of Safavid wootz samples of royal shamshirs. The book is in English, I mean only in English. Thank you again.

Regards

Manoucher

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast