Thread: Reverse-Blade Katana

Reverse-Blade Katana

I have heard of the swords that have their blade on the "wrong side" so to speak. What are the advantages of these blades? Got Pictures?
    Let reign the will of word and blade.

Sakabato ?
    Anime stuffs. Were produced by present-day swordsmiths, even
    good ones, but still only anime-stuffs.

Try a search with Sakabato or Sakabatou.
    Should work to have a picture.
    Please forgive my english.

Re: Reverse-Blade Katana

Originally posted by Chris S. Maria
    I have heard of the swords that have their blade on the "wrong side" so to speak. What are the advantages of these blades? Got Pictures?
    Advantage? I guess for the opponent, he won't get killed. I don't think it does have an advantage over a regular japanese sword, nor a clear disadvantage. I guess it would be up to the user of the sword. I always wonder its existence though, as in a real weapon used long time ago.

Originally posted by Carlo Giuseppe Tacchini
    Sakabato ?
    Anime stuffs. Were produced by present-day swordsmiths, even
    good ones, but still only anime-stuffs.

Try a search with Sakabato or Sakabatou.
    Should work to have a picture.
    Oh ok, it makes sense.

Just now there is another thread showing this link for a
    Sakabatou :

http://www.weaponmasters.com/?ID=WEAPONS&ITEM=WM-2180
    Please forgive my english.

advantages: you won't kill whoever you're "fighting"...if you should be fighting somebody in the first place

disadvantages: they don't exist functionally (as far as i know)
    "Don't be an idiot and die for your country. Let that other s.o.b die for his." -George Patton

Violence is not the answer. Violence is the question. Yes is the answer!

John: "an anarchy would never work. people are too stupid."
    Dan:"what's an anarchy?"
    John: "yeah, see?"

I will say of the LORD: He is my refuge and my fortress; my God, and in Him I will trust. -Psalm 91:2

Peter has spoken.

Soon, there will be a reverse-blade steak knife for people who don't want to cut steak
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic." -Unknown

Re: Re: Reverse-Blade Katana

Originally posted by DavidLee
    I always wonder its existence though, as in a real weapon used long time ago.
    Do a search for Dacian Falx. That seems to fit the description of a reverse katana.

Apparently very effective weapons. There is a pic (by Matthew Amt, I think) of a reenactor splitting a Roman shield with one.
    Hwęšere žęr fuse feorran cwoman
    to žam ęšelinge. - Dream of the Rood

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."
    "Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."
    - Lord Melchett and Lord Edmund Blackadder

Been playing Rome total war Paul?

You beat me to it, I was about to mention the Falx, though reverse blades from my point of view, seem to come in lots of different forms including one handed versions.

Heh, I will look into that. I do recall a sword, rather a mace, its forged in a sword manner with a blade. But unsharpened and a bit thicker. It's quite cool, it has a sheath and all, just no sharp edges.

Originally posted by william.m
    Been playing Rome total war Paul?
    No actually (old computer... ), just one of the benefits of participating on online forums.
    Hwęšere žęr fuse feorran cwoman
    to žam ęšelinge. - Dream of the Rood

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."
    "Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."
    - Lord Melchett and Lord Edmund Blackadder

Originally posted by James A. Vargscarr
    Here you go: Rick Barrett's 'Reverse Katana'.
    Dang... he really knows a good site if you want pics. There's a whole bunch of em on there. Thanks man.
    Let reign the will of word and blade.

I don't understand how a "reverse-blade" katana is supposed to be gentle. Sure, you may not cut the guy in half, but you're still beating the tar out of him with a quarter-inch-thick, two-and-a-half pound steel truncheon. Think "baseball bat", but with a smaller point of impact. Or a long tire iron. Not only would you break bones and damage organs, you probably would lacerate the guy something awful just from the force of impact.

(It's like the old D&D rule that clerics couldn't use edged weapons because they weren't allowed to draw blood. Um, what exactly do they think happens when you hit somebody with a mace, hm?)

There is a Steven Sigal movie (I don't remember the name) in which he deliberatly turns his katana around because he wants to beat the bad guy to death, instead of killing him with one stroke. He hits him repeatedly in the head with the back of his sword's blade until the guy dies. Rather a brutal, bloody way to go.

Brian Hunt

I kept on trying to make a reversed katana but each time at the process, the stupid cuting edge kept on curving downwards instead upwards.

My suggestion on this type blade is cosplay. That's the only reason why I'm making this sword but a failed attempt each time making one.

Just now there is another thread showing this link for a
    Sakabatou :

http://www.weaponmasters.com/?ID=WE...mp;ITEM=WM-2180

I love how this site describes there items .....its like the J. Peterman catalouge from Sienfiled.

Funny stuff
    "As the cherry flower is first among flowers, so should the warrior be first among men."
    -Old Japanese Proverb

"We shall live as demons from this day on"
    -Ogami Itto- Lone wolf and cub

"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved"
    ***Jesus christ is the way***
    -Acts 4:12-The Apostle Peter

"When you see Him face to face in the day of His appearing, you will find there was more in Him than your heart ever conceived.
    -unknown author-

My past katana=YOZAKURA, KOGA & MOUKO

Originally posted by Brian Hunt
    There is a Steven Sigal movie (I don't remember the name) in which he deliberatly turns his katana around because he wants to beat the bad guy to death, instead of killing him with one stroke. He hits him repeatedly in the head with the back of his sword's blade until the guy dies. Rather a brutal, bloody way to go.

Brian Hunt
    There is also a Magnum P.I. episode where they do that as well. I don't understand though, the Barrett website shows that the blade is in reverse as well as the hamon, but that's how the blade's curvature is created. How did he manage to have the blade curve inward, doesn't make sense to me.

This controversial sword has come up several times in the past. Here are two threads - both of which contain posts by Rick - which should answer your questions...

Reverse Katana Threads