Thread: Welcome to the new HES Forum

Talking Welcome to the new HES Forum

Welcome!

Just when you thought the new forums were as mythological as a hippogriff and more unlikely than fair taxation, here it is!

Thanks to Adrian Ko, et al., for the hard work in bringing this forums together.

Now the important question: what about all of those wonderful threads now lost?

Well, once this forum is fully active, it is true that you won't be able to see them anymore. But in this case gone isn't...well...gone. The HES Forum has enlisted the help of Dave Peck and William Wilson to be our archivists. They will be working with me to distill some of the "best-of" the old forum into a new HES FAQ, as well as serving as a resource to pull some of the old posts when needed.

This doesn't mean that they'll pull any post, any time, just for grins. After all, we just don't pay them enough. It does mean, however, that if you have a request, you should post it as "Archivist Request: _(subject)_" and they'll let you know what can be done to retrieve it.

As we move forward into the new forum, this process will no doubt be further streamlined and refined. Until then, welcome again one and all....

Best,

Gregory D. Mele
    Director
    Swordplay Symposium International
    HES Forum Moderator
    Greg Mele
    Chicago Swordplay Guild

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

"If the tongue could cut
    as the sword can do,
    the dead would be infinite."

Filippo Vadi, "Arte Dimicandi Gladiatoria" (c.1482 - 87)

Oi! I'm like a kid in a candy store.

Like Greg said, I'll be happy to run into the back and pull reference materials as they are required.

We'll have to see what we can do to make that process easier as well...

-David Peck

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Note to self - Explore relationship between sleep and relieving exhaustion.

Scholar - Chicago Swordplay Guild
    Keeper of sword-related texts / Archivist for the Sword Forum
    Purpleheart Armoury, Revival Clothing, Chivalry Bookshelf, Arms & Armor

Exclamation This is a good test bed

Greetings all...Thanks to Adrian and the SFI staff for finally getting this thing up and running. It's a good change.

BTW Adrian, it works now.

Thanks!
    Roger Siggs

“It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.”

Hi Greg!

The new forum really looks good!
    But I suggest you post on the old forum that the new one is up and running.
    I've been wondering why there's not traffic on the old forum.

Cheers,

Stefan
    Dar auf dich fasse / alle kunst haben leng / und masse

Alte Kampfkunst
    Western Martial Arts Academy

Well, the guy running the show is the last to know...

Stefan,

I had assumed that Adrian was going to announce this and take the old forums down, thus not notice came from me. I'll take care of this forthwith!

Greg
    Greg Mele
    Chicago Swordplay Guild

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

"If the tongue could cut
    as the sword can do,
    the dead would be infinite."

Filippo Vadi, "Arte Dimicandi Gladiatoria" (c.1482 - 87)

Fantastic site chaps, well done. It's a pinnacle for WMA online.

I look forward to many more years of engaging posts, verbal ripostes and making new friends.

Honourably,

Bob Brooks.

Thumbs up Good Job !

Greg:

Site looks good, Adrain and yourself are off in the right direction.
    Yes, should be interesting to see WHAT gets stored in those archives. Sure hope it covers the variety of weaponry covered before .
    Best to all
    Dwight

Talking

Greetings all! This looks like a good place to introduce myself. I am a member of The Knights of St. Denys, a live-steel equestrian group, as well as a member of ARMA and Regia Anglorium. Consequently, we do both historic and theatrical fighting, as well as combinations of the two. Look forward to learning more from you folks.

Re: Good Job !

Hi Greg,

I guess I too should introduce myself. I posted a POST on Historical Swordsmanship section. I'm new to all the WMA but have recently discovered all this and I'm very excited. I have an eastern martial arts background but I have always wanted to learn Swordsmanship.
    Where should I start?
    What's a good organization? I've heard bad things and good things.
    Where should I get training tools?

Thanks,

John R.

Introduction.

Hi guys,
    I just thought I would introduce myself. I am new to the swordforum and swords in general. I have recently taken up the art of European Medieval Martial Arts though, and am currently studying German and Italian longsword forms.

Any information on equipment purchases or general tips would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
    Tim.

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum. You'll find this an excellent resource with some top-notch peeps on it. It's also really fun so make sure you check out the Family Pub

As for advice, the best is to hit the search function. There are masses of information already posted and it makes for fascinating reading!
    James
    Modern Bartitsu

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
    - H. L. Mencken

Hi James,
    Thanks for the welcome. I have been having a quick look around, I recognise the name Paul MacDonald though. He is instructing my instructor of medieval longsword.

Tim.

Smile

Hi,
    I am new here and I am looking to take Historical in my area(central NJ)but I am having a hard time finding a school within an hour of me.Also can anyone tell me if I need to have any previous experience in this??

Thanx,
    Mary

Hi Mary,

First, Welcome to SFI!!

Considering how "new" the revival of this art is, no one really has experience going into it. So you need have no worries on that account.

The first question to ask is what area of HES are you interested in? Many groups focus on only one or two historical periods.

If you are close to NYC, you should check out the Association for Historical Fencing. Good folks and they cover a wide variety of styles from Medieval longsword to classical fencing.

I think there is also an ARMA chapter in NJ - Gary Gryzbek would be the contact.

Good luck, and let us know how things go.
    -Ash

Smile

I am looking into Medieval swordstyle particlarly long sword.

Mary

May I make a suggestion?

Could you post a list of reliable sword dealers? Going into google and putting in "battle ready swords" would more like than not yeild some undesireable results.
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    -<====[<(---)>]=====>
    No Cut and Paste, No Plans for Domination or Anything , it Just Is.....
    Evil Sith Bunny!!

Hi everyone, name's John and I'm a newbie to the forums. I figure it would be good to introduce myself as well.

I just started taking up WMA/studying the Italian longsword last year, but have a pretty robust background in Korean/japanese swordfighting.
    As I slowly progress in my trainning my interest has started me becomming interested in collecting as well..so I figure these forums should be my new secondary home!

Looking forward to talking and learning together with many of you.