Thread: SW Ep. III - Qs for Mick and Kyle

SW Ep. III - Qs for Mick and Kyle

Finally saw Episode III yesterday. I waited until the crowds died down so I could see it on the only 70mm screen in town. I'm not going to give my review because it doesn't matter.

However, I was really impressed with the fight scenes, and, overall, with the way they were shot and edited. Quite a lot of acrobatics that blended well.

My question is, to the extent you guys are allowed to discuss, to what extent did the film rely on CGI versus wire-work for the acrobatics? I couldn't really tell the difference.

Can you guys also talk about the choreography process for the film?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but are you asking for a CHALLENGE?

I'll throw my hat into the ring, while we're at it:

Wondering if Sam Jackson had something about not being stunt-doubled... seems like his fight was a big letdown to some of us, since he was being hyped as such a big bad mo-fo jedi, but his fight seemed pretty short & dumbed-down. Was that a specific choice, or did they just not let someone else do his fighting for him?
    Freelance hack... and slash... and thrust...

RE: Ep III Choreo

Hey Mike/Kevin

I'll try and cover some of these questions. My opinion of the final product of Ep III is that its ok. I know how much was shot and how little of it ended up in the final reel. Thats an unfortunate reality of film but it still smarts. The non-included stuff I can't talk about but I'd check out the EP III game if you want an idea. Anyway, lets see how we go:

1: All the fights were test shot prior to the shoot based on script notes and required shots. These breakdowns sometimes consisted of sets and specific moments that had to happen. Usually it was just a case of geography, A fights B down corridoor, out onto platform, down ramp, 12 droids appear etc etc. All the acro in the test shoots was done real with wires and air rams using the sword doubles and Hayden Christiansen who was training with us. At the actual shoot, the number of real stunts was reduced and a number of CGI bits were included. At the end of the day i'd say about 50/50 digital to real stunts made the film.

2: The most difficult thing about the choreo process is that the conditions were constantly being changed or updated. New geography was added or removed as well as characters and droids. The challenge was to keep the choreo interesting without having to create new stuff for the actors to have to learn. Rehearsal time was premium and with the exception of Anakin we had very little time to teach and prepare the actors for their fights.

3: In defense of Sam's fight, he had very little time to learn it and yet had it running at a great pace. Ian was not brought in to rehearsals as he was told he would not be fighting. This of course changed on the day of shooting. We had to rush and change the choreo to accomodate both actors and to preserve the original rehearsal material. Sam didn't have a sword double because he didn't need one. To look at that scene now is quite strange, it's such a pivotal moment and seems quite disjointed in its flow.

Hope that sort of answers stuff for you.

Cheers

Mick
    "Fear is the pathway"

Gotcha- in other words, even with the budget and resources of a Star Wars film, it's still a movie, and they'll still screw with you in all the usual ways...

-and here I'd hoped that was just what the amateurs (like me) here in Seattle had to work with.
    Freelance hack... and slash... and thrust...

RE: Ep III Choreo

Yeah well we at least have it better than the CG artists, their stuff gets changed on a daily basis with very little regard for the months of work that has already been done or will have to be done.

Spent a lot of time hanging out with the matchmovers who plot the geography of the digital backgrounds. The effect of moving a chair or adding a doorway changes the entire perspective of how the background looks. An insane amount of maths and recalculating has to be done. Not something I would be into at all.

Cheers

Mick

PS - Amatuer in whose opinion Kevin? Certainly not in mine!
    "Fear is the pathway"

Thanks for the info. Another thing I found rather odd was how easily the other Jedi who came with Mace to arrest Palpatine went down. Everyone in my row chuckled about how they must have had a family member on the council and thats how they got in. Certainly not based on their ability. Was there more to that that ended up on the cutting room floor.
    A man in a kilt is a man and a half!
    Clan Grant
    Craigellachie!