Thread: Another interesting hybrid sword; a saif with a Hungarian blade

Another interesting hybrid sword; a saif with a Hungarian blade

Saudi Arabian ca. 1930
    Early, massive Hungarian saber blade with two grooves and double-edged point,
    engraved at the base on both sides Eastern horsemen with eagles and the inscription "vincere aut mo Hungaria"
    Silver crosspiece with graven terminals, in the center a gold inlaid decorative pattern
    The grip wound in golden wire with filigree grip rails
    Engraved long pommel cap, bone grip covering, complete with three-way golden grip chain
    Scabbard completely covered with richly chased gold plates. Two massive golden carrying rings.
    Length 94.5 cm. Typical presentation sword of the Saudi Arabian royal house.

Courtesy of Hermann Historica

Regards,

Manoucher

I bring up this thread for further discussions. Would you call this a saif as well?

Regards

Manoucher

what I understand...

is that "saif" is a category word... not a word for a specific type of sword.

I'd have to see the rest of the sword's engraving, but I very much suspect that this was a sword carried by a kind of proto-policeman in Transylvania... but my brain fails me as it's late at night.
    Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but excellence admires and respects genius.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Russ Mitchell
    is that "saif" is a category word... not a word for a specific type of sword.

I'd have to see the rest of the sword's engraving, but I very much suspect that this was a sword carried by a kind of proto-policeman in Transylvania... but my brain fails me as it's late at night.
    [/QUOTE]

Sure Russ Saif is the generaly term for sword in Arabic. And we associate it with the typical category sword mounted in Syria and some other Arab countries with silver wrappings.

Your suggestion on Translovania is interesting. Could you elobarote on that?

Regards

Manoucher
    Attached Images Attached Images