Thread: Fake French cuirassier swords warning

Exclamation Fake French cuirassier swords warning

A number of reproduction French cuirassier swords have recently found their way onto the market. Two have been offered as genuine on ebay in the last week or so and another has found its way into the hands of a British dealer (who obviously will not offer it as genuine). I think these reproduction swords come from "The Discriminating General" (an old friend of the Forum) and potential buyers would be well advised to study their website http://www.militaryheritage.com/swords1.htm

What seems to be fooling many people is that these reproduction swords have a patina (or rather have been given a patina). Fairly easy to achieve as discussed on previous threads.

All of the reproduction swords are dated "Octobre 1813" and have a 4 digit "rack number" on the hilt (normally beginning with 4). The inspection stamps on the hilt seem to be "35", "B" and "F". The other main differences between the reproductions and the genuine article are:

- no grip ferrule
    - too many twists of grip wire (the genuine have 11-12)
    - the side branches (or bars!) stop short of the pommel (and the detail is not correct)

Stay alert!

Richard.

Thumbs up

Many thanks for this warning, Richard, you are always on duty..

Comparing this repro's hilt with the real thing, side by side, differences are quite apparent (especially regarding the lack of ferrule, it's funny they didn't realize it while designing these repros!), but with the addition of a proper patina, and just looking at eBay pics, many could be fooled...

I knew The Discriminating General's site and their repros (they look nice in their own right), and I always thought that by applying unique serial numbers to such swords, they are making fakers' work far easier... Wouldn't it be more sensible to mark their swords as repros? Maybe in a not very noticeable position in the blade, not disturbing general antique look and feel of the piece...
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

Thanks Juan, sometimes I feel like a bit of an Ebay policeman! My good friend and fellow forumite Paul Wilcock and myself have taken it upon ourselves to contact the ebay sellers of these reproduction swords. One seller has withdrawn, the other steadfastly refuses to do despite having been given overwhelming evidence that it is a reproduction he is selling. What more can I say.

Richard.

Good info, thank you guys. One of such swords (a different model, not the 1813) went through my hands recently, and at close up it was obvious, but of course those ebay pics! The seller seemed honestly mistaken and refunded the money right away.

Please keep posting your finds!

I am also somewhat disappointed that the maker doesn't put some clear indication of a repro fact on the sword (a production year?) - that would stop many sellers from peddling this stuff. The question is whether by making it look original, with "real" stamps do they contribute to the prolifiration of fakes? So some will be caught now, but many years later this info will be lost and I am somewhat sure these will become "real" things.