Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: Cult of the Small-Sword

Hello all,

Just want to share my photo's of small swords for anyone who enjoys the craftmanship!

http://www.smallsword.nl

could be nice to share more "hidden" website's.

Hello Rob, that's a lovely selection, and a great website,
    I'll take the oportunty to ask if you know of an 18th C. smallsword maker / seller from Middelberg, with the name of Martinus Merks. ( I'll have a look at the sword later and check the spelling ).
    I've asked before with little success, I've seen another in an old Christies catalogue, so he produced more than one. I asked at the town museum on a visit to Zeeland but they had no information to offer.
    Thanks, Mel.

They have a sword from him at the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam! see: http://hdl.handle.net/10934/RM0001.COLLECT.376313
    No more information about Martinus. In the documents of Zeeland, where Middelburg is part of, they have one Martinus Merckse baptized at 12-03-1721 in Hulst. (about 50 km from Middelburg). It is clear that at that time there where numerous silversmiths in Middelburg. They were famous for their Silverwork.

Many thanks for the prompt reply, I've had a look at the photo and will be sure to look in the museum next time I'm in Amsterdam ( I've been several times to the museum but never noticed this sword, or thought to ask ! ). A kind Netherlands member here on the forum once did some research and found a printing family, of the same name, in Middelburg.
    Thanks also for the link to the other Netherlands sword site. Information on Dutch swords is hard to find here in the U.K. I've already identified some models I had through my hands in the past ( I thought they were hunting hangers but now see that they were Police swords).
    Mel.

Hello Mel,
    At the legermuseum (army museum) they have a dossier with photos of sabers of him. See http://www.collectie.legermuseum.nl/...bibliotheek&q=
    Also there no more information about him. Good luck with your investigations!

Rob, thanks again, I had not heard of the Legermuseum, though I must have passed close by many times. when visiting Utrecht and the surrounding area. I'll try to fit it in next time.
    Thank you, Mel.

So it looks like it has been a few minutes since anyone has posted here. Even though I posted it in another thread I will add my small sword here. BTW thanks to Juan and Tom for their help with IDing the sword.

This is a sword for an Oficial de Infantería de la Guardia Real Provincial. La Guardia Real Provincial were a rual militia loyal to the King, in this case Ferdinand the 7th. This sword was made between 1824 and 1833. The "PS" monogram stands for "ProvincialeS" and the fleur de lis is from the kings own heraldry.

Name:  $_57.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  94.9 KB Name:  $_572.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  95.8 KBName:  $_574.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  50.4 KB

Anyway enjoy and I hope to see some more small swords here again
    Chris Covington

As I said, Christopher, it's a nice sword--enjoy!
    Tom Donoho

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637