Thread: good deal?

good deal?

wow... i'm the first to post other then the starter.

okay so is this a good deal on kukris? its made with hand forgged high carbon steel but its only $28. what do you think?

Blog Entries
    Hi Jonathan,

Well, this sort of kukri is the reason why we plan on providing a 'kukri faq' some time in the near future. Please keep in mind that since this forum is technically under the 'Antique Arms & Armour' heading, that's what our main focus will be.
    mark@swordforum.com

~ Hostem Hastarum Cuspidibus Salutemus ~

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
    Benjamin Franklin

ok, then I'll start out. Here is a kukri I got years ago. Kothimora military. Silver mounted scabbard and coral bead on center disk of silver holding "rope". The horn hilt is mounted in brass that had been silver leafed. I made a couple of bi-knives of horn and silver, but the attachments are too large for this forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jose Albovias, Jr.; 10-11-2005 at 01:19 PM.

Jonathan,

I bought one a while ago, used it for about a year, got bored with it (heresy, I know...), and then put it away and forgot about it.

I pulled it out recently, put it into a clamp, took my angle grinder to it, and shortened it into a pretty nice fighting knife, in my opinion. It has the same, nice, beefy handle, and the blade now resembles a Vaquero Grande or clip-point bowie on steroids.

Forgive the graphics, I'm just using MS Paint. No scanner, Photoshop or anything sophisiticated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -Mercy to the wolf is cruelty to the sheep.
    -Those who turn their swords into plowshares often end up plowing the fields of those who did not.

Originally posted by Jose Albovias, Jr.
    ok, then I'll start out. Here is a kukri I got years ago. Kothimora military. Silver mounted scabbard and coral bead on center disk of silver holding "rope". The horn hilt is mounted in brass that had been silver leafed. I made a couple of bi-knives of horn and silver, but the attachments are too large for this forum.
    Hi Jose,

If you size them down to 100kb or less, they should load.

Cheers

Hotspur; different operating systems and programs will do that

Re: good deal?

Originally posted by Jonathan V.
    wow... i'm the first to post other then the starter.

okay so is this a good deal on kukris? its made with hand forgged high carbon steel but its only $28. what do you think?
    Jonathan,

If you go to eBay and search "kukri," you will find lots of these for sale -- some even lower in price. They are "in the style" of (but not replicas of) a WWII model. The heat treatment is uncertain. I have seen some that were dead soft (perhaps never heat treated) and one that was too hard to cut with a new file (probably quenched but never drawn).

In this matter, as in so many others, the lowest price seldom equals the highest value.
    TAL