Thread: German(?) Cavalry saber?

Question German(?) Cavalry saber?

Second question (and again, thanks in advance).

Maybe German? There are no maker marks or proofs. The point is rounded and doesn't seem to be any newer than the rest of the sword. There is engraving on the blade which I can't get on the camera because the balde is so dark, but it's a typical viney, foliage type with crossed cannons & a grouping of standards. It's very light and almost delicate feeling.

I did see one like it on ebay that sold as a fencing saber, but I wouldn't be bashing it around with the engraving on it, so I just don't know.

Here's the one picture I can figure out how to load, there are more at this page. You'll need to scroll down as I have two swords listed & this is below the first.

http://www.SmallWebs.com/SFI.htm

Again, thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Red face

I may have answered my own question. I saw a listing on ebay for a reprint of an old WKC catalog & one of the photos with the post was this one. Note the sword on the right. Now, if I could just speak German.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

3. Translated, the blurb says: "Prussian Cavalry Officer's Steel Basket Sabre".

Your sword is a Model 1852 Prussian cavalry sword.
    It was in use in several states of the German Empire until the end of WW1. When the new cavalry sword model 1889 was issued, the old patterns remained in use in the Train (service corps) regiments.