Thread: "Educational" Wilkinson P1912

"Educational" Wilkinson P1912

Ebay item 6573693824

I've mentioned on the Forum before that to my eternal shame I fell for a fake P1912. I promised to show photos for educational purposes and so you could all laugh at me. Well, excuses excuses, my camera died and the new one is sat gathering dust, but you can look at someone elses pictures of something very similar on Ebay.

Rather clearer photos on Ebay now than the one I bought so you can see the ersatz leather grip covering, but what fooled me was the hexagonal HW proof disc. The quality of the etching on mine is somewhat better too but still in the "scabby" class.

Paul

Why would someone go to that much trouble to fake something that is relatively common and with a fairly limited return? I would think there would be much more profitable items to fake.

I agree that the grip & pommel are pretty obvious and the slug looks like it is a round plug in a hex hole, but could it just be a bad restoration job for a blade which had it's etching polished off?

I can see faking a baskethilt or your basic Confederate saber. Those have a market!

My case is even worse... I have two of those "HW" fakes. I paid $32 for the first one, my first "English" sword, and I could not believe that was a fake with 4 different sorts of leather and a first class scabbard. I even contacted Wilkinson who said the sword was probably good but with the number erased and replated. I have that mail somewhere. It took me a while to find an advertisement from1970s where those appeared as replicas. By then I had a second one ($103), carrying the "Manton of London" as retailer and that gave faster the lie. I am still amazed than in 1970s would be worthy to make those copies. They got in the meantime a credible patina, although the plating is too good to be true. The worse part is probably the grip shape, separately carved, I have one not too far from reality, but the other is rubbish. Finally I got a real 1912 just to be able to compare!

Javier
    La vida amable, el enemigo hombre fuerte, ordinario el peligro, natural la defensa, la Ciencia para conseguirla infalible, su estudio forçoso, y el exercicio necessario conviene al que huviere de ser Diestro, no ignore la teorica, para que en la practica, el cuerpo, el braço, y los instrumentos obren lo conveniente a su perfeccion. --Don Luis Pacheco de Narvaez.

Re: "Educational" Wilkinson P1912

Originally posted by Paul Digard
    Ebay item 6573693824

I've mentioned on the Forum before that to my eternal shame I fell for a fake P1912. I promised to show photos for educational purposes and so you could all laugh at me. Well, excuses excuses, my camera died and the new one is sat gathering dust, but you can look at someone elses pictures of something very similar on Ebay.

Rather clearer photos on Ebay now than the one I bought so you can see the ersatz leather grip covering, but what fooled me was the hexagonal HW proof disc. The quality of the etching on mine is somewhat better too but still in the "scabby" class.
    Hi Paul,

Yes, I spotted that...it would be a shame if the seller knew it was a fake and had used the Wilkinson disk as his main picture to fool innocent buyers. I notice he doesn't say anywhere else in the auction that it's a Wilkinson sword.

The grip is one give-away, the knob on the end of the pommel another. But the bit that always seems to fool the fakers is the royal coat of arms - perhaps it's too intricate for easy (read "cheap") copying.

For a laugh I've emailed and asked what the serial number is. Gives plenty of opportunty for them to supply a creative excuse as to why it's not there. Ground off for use by Special Services troops who needed total anonymity, perhaps?

John
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".