Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: French cuirassier sword on ebay

Re: Re: Châtellerault

Originally posted by Jean Binck
    Swords were made also in Chatellerault only after 1819.

The cursive embellished style of the inscription on the spine of the blade is often misleading for beginners. The elongated figure "5" is sometimes looking nearly like a "1".
    Therefore, a sword issued in the Manufacture Imperiale de Chatellerault during the Second Empire (Napoleon III), let's say in 1853, is often reported as Napoleonic from 1813 by newbies....or dealers with little knowledge but big sense of profit .
    Thank you. You just saved me about $600 US.

Re: Re: Re: Châtellerault

Originally posted by WBranner
    Thank you. You just saved me about $600 US.
    Actually, YOU did the good job, looking for information prior to buy

I'll retry this:

Are there any recommended resources which are reasonably available which anyone would recommend on French swords in this period.

English versions would be nice, but I'd take a French one.

Something like Robson is for Brit swords.

Hi Wayne,

I don't know of a good resource in English but there are several in French that I feel are very useful:

'Des Sabres et Des Epees' by Michel Petard, Editions du Canonnier, Nantes, ISBN 2-912430-04-6 (volume 1). The first volume pretty well runs up to the First Restoration.

'Les Sabres Portes Par L'Armee Francaise' by Jean L'Hoste and Patrick Rezek, Editions Portails, ISBN 2-86551-048-4. There is a companion volume on Epees.

'Sabres Francaise 1680-1814' by Christian Blondieau, Le Kepi Rouge, Paris, ISBN 2-950 7401-3-8. I think there is now a second volume available.

None of these are exhaustive but they do give a good array of sabres and Blondieau in particular has some wonderful photographs.

All of these are currently available as far as I know. I can let you have a mail order address if you need one.

Hope this helps

Paul
    Paul Wilcock

That would be most appreciated. Private if you think appropriate. I'm pretty much interested in military pieces.

Hi Wayne,

I have bought books before from 'Le Hussard' who have quite a good selection. Just looking at their catalogue, all the ones I mentioned are there however no reference to a second volume of Blondieau. There is however a third volume of Petard! Senility creeping in on my part I think.

Their web address is:

http://www.lehussard.fr/english/index.asp

Best regards

Paul
    Paul Wilcock

re

Paul,

the second book of Blondieau is still not printed. Blondieau is the owner of Le Kepi Rouge, a beautiful shop in Paris in the Village Suisse. I bin their several times.

Regards Marc

Hi Marc,

Whenever I'm in Paris my 'walk' is from the Musee De L'Armee through Village Suisse where there are several Arms & Armour dealers. Kepi Rouge is excellent but I also always visit Armes D'Antan. Patrice Reboulle (?) and a couple of the others.

Very expensive but nice to look.

Regards

Paul
    Paul Wilcock

Copy of the An XIII cuirassier sword ????..........authentic ????.

Regards

Janusz.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Attached Images Attached Images  

re

Yes, copy Janusz....

Paul, so you do the "dealer Walk " Don't forget Boudet-Vissser, the best but most expensive one! Beside thathe is almost never open and seems to be more a little museum dan commercial shop !

Hi Marc,

Where is Boudet-Visser? Is he the dealer close to the Louvre?

Regards

Paul
    Paul Wilcock

re

Paul,

It's also in Antique Le Louvre around if you are before the shop of Reboul ( the one downstairs since he has also one upstairs) it's on your left hand wing almost at the end. a little but so fine shop. He got the most beautiful swords. I can send a picture of the shop if you like. You can mail me PM with your e-mail than. Bouche's shop is also close so streets away but the honestly has the say they are all to expensive....Better find the pieces in the country. But the prices are going quick up...

Regards Marc

fake.......???..." Manufacture Impale Du Klingenthal octobre 1816 "

http://swords.com.pl/pozostale/Oferta/pallasch.html

Janusz.

Looks good from a distance, and the inscription doesn't match any fakes I know of.
    hc3

$700 it is to pay sense........and to venture . Selling originality it does not guarantee .

"Manufacture Imperiale" and "Octobre 1816" doesn't match.
    The Empire colapse in 1815.

No inspection stamps inside the main branch.
    rack number on hilt doesn't look like the period style
    Scabbard looks newly made as well as the blade.
    Connections of the branches with the guard plate look strange to me.

etc...etc....

I would keep away of this one.
    But that's just my opinion...

Could it be "Rle" rather than "Imple"?
    hc3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123