Thread: Western Martial Arts finder

Western Martial Arts finder

http://www.frappr.com/wma

I've started a frappr map for western martial artists. One of the benefits of the map is the ability for people to see if there are people in the same area with the same interests.

So take a look. If you're interested put your name, email, and zipcode (city if outside of the US) into the forms on the right, and this will place a pin so others can find you.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein

PM sent
    ?

nice.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Histor...75879815764007
    www.historicarts.co.uk

If the student does not understand, it is the teacher who has failed

Nice, Seth ... great resource. You oughta ask the mods to make this thread sticky.
    Installing Linux on a dead badger

Once again, Dyslexia heads its ugly rear.

bump
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Histor...75879815764007
    www.historicarts.co.uk

If the student does not understand, it is the teacher who has failed

The list now sports over 100 members including from North and South America, Asia, Europe, Africa and Australia.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein

This is a great idea! Helps people immediately see where WMA enthusiasts are.

The WMA list now has over 150 wma'ers listed by location.
    The breakdown is currently:

Guys 143
    Gals 13

The picture upload archive is also coming along nicely. There are some real gems in there.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Awesome idea! Thanks

Todd

Exactly what I needed

Good idea, sir. Checking the site out as soon as I finish this reply.
    The good four: Honest with ourselves and with whatever is friend to us; courageous toward the enemy; generous toward the vanquished; polite-always. That is how the four cardinal virtues want us.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche-

Great! Thanks for this!
    Knowledge begets curiosity, and curiosity begets knowledge.

Respectfully,

Brent W. Friendshuh

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but this is great!
    FWIW, I'm in Rochester, NY and I already see a couple folks reasonably close.

What happened to my entry?

There used to be more, and now a lot are gone. Did you purge old ones? That would seem counter productive.

(I've added it again.)
    Last edited by Michael Edelson; 10-09-2007 at 01:20 PM.

Lightbulb The Best Place for this

The largest most comprehensive database for this is located here:

http://www.reclaimingtheblade.com/main/?page_id=47

Plus by signing up you enter a chance to win lots of free equipment!

I added myself to the list as well.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis Smith View Post
    Michael Eversberg , can you play the dry witted supporting hero?

I'm all signed up. I'm always looking for people to train with and over the summer I have a study group in Melville... Well in the winter too but we loose most of the members to College so over fall and winter it's a much smaller group. It seems inevitable that I join Michael Edelson's group though, he did say a while back that resistance is futile.
    groo not know what "medicant"mean?

Quote Originally Posted by m capanelli View Post
    I'm all signed up. I'm always looking for people to train with and over the summer I have a study group in Melville... Well in the winter too but we loose most of the members to College so over fall and winter it's a much smaller group. It seems inevitable that I join Michael Edelson's group though, he did say a while back that resistance is futile.
    Yes, resistance is indeed futile. Soon NYHFA will rule the world!!

Speaking of which, I should probably go put something in practice partner finder so people know we're here.

Yes...you can not escape.

Soon we will build a henge!
    Lake Ontario Fechtschule

Both the frappr and RTB list are not working ...

Both the frappr map and the Reclaiming the Blade list are not working - first is a broken link, and second is just a blank page ... anyone know what's happening here? Seth?

If the resources are not current, do we need to 'un-stickyfy' this thread?

Mark T

Quote Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
    Both the frappr map and the Reclaiming the Blade list are not working - first is a broken link, and second is just a blank page ... anyone know what's happening here? Seth?

If the resources are not current, do we need to 'un-stickyfy' this thread?

Mark T
    Who is We to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
    the frappr map [is] not working ... anyone know what's happening here? Seth?
    Frappr is shutting down their free service and offering a $24.95 / yr version of the same service. I'm not interested given how poor of a service this is 4 years after I started hosting the map here. They've offered the .kml geo-data file to me for download, so I'll backup the database now.

Sometime in the next few months I can throw these back into a google map on my own server somewhere, but it will just have to be down/useless in the meantime.

That brings up the separate question of what kind of map would be useful for groups and individuals, and how that differs from this 4+ yr-old service.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Historic European Martial Arts Meetups map

In the meantime, I've discovered this meetups list, complete with Google map:

http://historic-european-martial-arts.meetup.com/

It currently contains 189 members, and 5 groups. Also allows one to list as being interested in meeting others.

Just in case this is useful to anyone...

It appears I'm the only student of the longsword in korea. Any others nearby?

Kalamazoo MI anyone?
    People with narrow minds usually have broad tongues.

Ignoring the facts doesn't actually change them.

Grand Rapids MI these days which is fairly close.
    Ars Gladii
    Detroit MI
    "Those with wisdom loath the one forced to defend." Liechtenauer