Thread: A sticky on the Inigo Montoya Rapier from "Princess Bride"

A sticky on the Inigo Montoya Rapier from "Princess Bride"

We need a sticky in this forum for a discussion of the Inigo Montoya Sword from the film, "Princess Bride". Next to light sabers, it is the most commonly raised subject in the 8 years that I have been participating in SwordForums and may even beat out light sabers. And one of the points that needs to me included is the proper spelling of Inigo's name.
    Trying to walk in the Light, Hugh
    See 1 John 1:5

I porpose that THIS be included. Amazing work!

Okay, here ya go...

Please post all Inigo Montoya and Princess Bride-related links and other informative info here!
    David K. Wilson, Jr., Laird of Glencoe
    The best laid schemes o' mice an' men, gang aft agley... -- Robert Burns

See, it is I who created the blacksmith
    who fans the coals into flame
    and forges a weapon fit for its work.

-- Isaiah 54:16

Re: A sticky on the Inigo Montoya Rapier from "Princess Bride"

Originally posted by Hugh Fuller
    We need a sticky in this forum for a discussion of the Inigo Montoya Sword from the film, "Princess Bride". Next to light sabers, it is the most commonly raised subject in the 8 years that I have been participating in SwordForums and may even beat out light sabers. And one of the points that needs to me included is the proper spelling of Inigo's name.
    Here is what i found www.swordseller.com

www.forsaken-faith.org/inigo/index.php?about

swordspiritTerrance

Re: Re: A sticky on the Inigo Montoya Rapier from "Princess Bride"

Originally posted by Terrance McGee
    Here is what i found www.swordseller.com

www.forsaken-faith.org/inigo/index.php?about

swordspiritTerrance
    Thanks, Terrance. I figure you wanted to link to the actual sword on that site.
    It's fancy and shiny, but it's nothing like Inigo's. Actually, it *is* what I thought Inigo's looked like until I saw the screencaps.

Online and shiny

Well, here she is folks, finally up on the website.....

http://www.historicalfencing.org/Mac...ry/montoya.htm

A joy to make and behold, and even moereso in the flesh (and gold, and stones, etc

For anyone who shall be at Lansing this year and wants to see her up close, we`ll both be there, so let me know.

All the best,

Macdonald

This is almost funny. It seemed that there was a thread begun almost on a weekly basis asking about Inigo Montoya's rapier until we put this sticky up and now almost nobody has posted to it. I wonder if anyone is actually reading it.

My question is...how does one know that the balance is right for a six-fingered man unless you find a six-fingered man to critique it?
    "We are all imprisoned by the dictionary. We choose out of that vast, paper-walled prison our convicts, the little black printed words, when in truth we need fresh sounds to utter, new enfranchised noises which would produce a new effect."
    — Mervyn Peake

Originally posted by Ben Bouchard
    My question is...how does one know that the balance is right for a six-fingered man unless you find a six-fingered man to critique it?
    A genius like Domingo just knows...
    Geoffrey C. Freeman

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bouchard View Post
    Well, the sword that Inigo had was not the sword that his father made for the other guy, was it?

I thought it was just his father's swrd, and his father made the sword the six fingered man had? Wasn't the story that the six fingered man didn't want to pay for the six fingered sword, so he killed inigo montoya's father?
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ellis View Post
    Well, the sword that Inigo had was not the sword that his father made for the other guy, was it?

I thought it was just his father's swrd, and his father made the sword the six fingered man had? Wasn't the story that the six fingered man didn't want to pay for the six fingered sword, so he killed inigo montoya's father?
    ill get the DVD out in a bit, but basically Domingo made the sword for the 6fingered man.... and didnt want to pay for the sword, and killed him... and APPARENTLY left the sword...... because THATS the sword that was made for Rupen...

i was just thinking about that.... if you didnt want to pay for it, and then u killed the guy...... wouldnt you TAKE the sword with you?!!?!
    but now now now..... we mustent forget this is hollywood....... so hollywood logic applies..... did you notice that the blade didnt have a "Blood groove"?
    and EVERYONE knows that a blade without a blood groove will get stuck in you!!! thats why they put blood grooves on um so you can pull your sword out of them!!!.......... im SURE thats what happened *g*

Well in the book it said that it took Inigo's daddy a few years to arrive at the final product, as we made numerous pieces that weren't quite ideal and had to keep going back to the drawing board. Perhaps Rupen grabbed the wrong one from the shop!
    "We are all imprisoned by the dictionary. We choose out of that vast, paper-walled prison our convicts, the little black printed words, when in truth we need fresh sounds to utter, new enfranchised noises which would produce a new effect."
    — Mervyn Peake

IIRC, it was Inigo who took up the sword in a rage when he challeged Rugen. Rugen left him bleeding in the street. That is where the scars on his face came from

noodles

The entire hilt reminds me of crispy noodles , the ones that puff up the minute they hit the wok ?

Is the actual movie sword as blinged and pimped as much as P Mcdonalds version ?

Mick
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Ephesians 6:11

Hi Michael,

No-one really knows where the original prop sword is. The most I have discovered is that one of the senior crew on the movie made off with it.

From the movie close-up stills, it is as pimped out, carved overall in the same form, gold plated and with all the stones inset in the same places.
    My own version likely has more detailed carving overall, as this was my bit of artistic licence with the sword, carving in the stories of the three main characters associated with the sword throughout.

All the best,

Macdonald

I may be wrong, but the "pimping out" as you call it was fairly common for artwork of that era. We call it "Baroque" or "Repousse".

Salt Lake City, UT (though moving to Australia later this year)

Question

No-one really knows where the original prop sword is. The most I have discovered is that one of the senior crew on the movie made off with it.

Well that's some good news then that only one was absconded with! As far as I can tell from the movie, there should be at least 2...reference the duel scene between Inigo and the Man in Black: when Inigo is disarmed, he throws the sword into the air, but then catches it again a little too quickly to have been caught by a stage hand and then dropped in precisely the correct position 6 feet behind for the next series of attacks/parries.

Where did you find the information? Sounds like a true mystery of movie and fencing memorabilia...
    To love and die honourably, is to have lived well.

"It's been 20 years and I'm starting to lose confidence."

At long last, an official replica of Inigo Montoya's Sword is available...
    http://www.factoryentstore.com/Produ...uctCode=408016

So I have set number 32 of 100 for the Inigo/Dread Pirate Roberts swords signed by Rob Reiner and I'm pretty happy. These aren't real swords by a long shot but they stand out from the usual wall hangers and are thankfully nothing like the Franklin Mint crap. Having seen this movie bazillions of times as a kid having these swords in my home is kind of like having a little talisman that lets me remember the days when I couldn't spot Bob Anderson's style a mile away and could just marvel at the flashing swords. Holding them reminds me of why I started to study sword arts and they take me to the time when it was a dream instead of an intellectual pursuit, my future instead of my past.
    As for the details, the blade on Inigo seems a little broader than it should be and wesley's grip is a bit smaller than I would have thought. I do have larger than normal hands but this sword is remarkably smaller. The hilt detail on Inigo is a little clunky but it has that elegance at a distance more than two feet away and both are quite nice to look at. The blades are hollywood length and weight and seem meant for a bit of swashbuckling screenwork, albeit they will never perform that task and it feels as though the tangs may be pretty thin but I wont take them apart to find out. All that aside I am happy with what I've gotten here.

Lee

PS. Pics to come later
    boyhood lives in daydreams that manhood does not forget

Graham Tuloch

Hello, I am selling two replicas of the Inigo Montoya Replica & The Dread Pirate Roberts replica. I saw this thread and hope it would attract some interest in my swords. these are really cool swords from a classic movie. Thanks, Brian