Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart Of Swords at Soul Of Bushido???

Heart Of Swords at Soul Of Bushido???

Has anyone here had any experience with this company? are thier swords of good quality? I found no reviews here about them. They are outletting through ebay (probably not good). They are offering custom made katanas w/ a choice of japanese cold folded steel or Tamahagane folded iron. with lengths, colors, and accessories customized to preference. with a wait of about 8 weeks. For under $1,200 usd. Is this a waste of my money??? I am looking for a custom made katana built to take heavy cutting. I don't want what's (best for the money). I want high quality craftsmanship, durability, and strength. And I'm willing to pay for it... The owner of this company claims his swords made with folded iron are 60-75% stronger than the high carbon steel. The only other company I found offering the Tamahagane iron was Dynasty Forge. I have heard good things about Dynasty but are they worth twice the money and 10 times the wait? Again while the cost is not impotant... I don't really want to pay twice as much for a name. Unless the product is truly worth twice as much. Or is there another better choice alltogether???
    p.s. a link to picture and description: http://cgi.ebay.com/REAL-JAPANESE-CO...QQcmdZViewItem

While I've never heard of this company, there are a few things that make me wince and wonder if they've any clue ...
    ... and only High-quality Japanese Stainless 440 steel is used blade core...
    ... the Hamon is tempered using the traditional clay tempering techniques, ...
    ... the Handle(Tsuka) is professionally hand-cut and crafted from Japanese hard pine wood ...
    The first and second are mutually exclusive, and pine should never be used for a tsuka core.

Just my thoughts on it.
    Paul Smith
    "Keep the sharp side and the
    pointy end between you and
    your opponent"

Good point! I am an ex-carpenter and pine is NOT hard wood! but I don't know where you got the quote
    and only High-quality Japanese Stainless 440 steel is used blade core
    ? I read
    the Shingane Cold Steel as the Inner-folding-core and outer layers are folded with the Premium-grade Tama-Hagane Cold Steel or Iron.
    . perhaps from thier cheaper models... Anyway the pine is enough for me. If they use cheap materials, they probably have cheap craftmanship. I think I'll go with the Dynasty Forge's Tamahagane line. Unless someone knows of a better cutter...looks like a looonnnngggg wait

Please to excuse,

My sandels cant not stand up to the male cow droppings that are left by this advertisment.

Would anyone have a pair of size 3 combat boots, or hip waiters I can borrow?
    "Silly Caucasian Girl, likes to play with Samurai swords"

Those are VERY VERY cheap knockoffs. The tsubas are all knockoffs of the Paul Chen line of tsubas. They are so horribly done too. I hate people who scam others.

Here's another giveaway'

Again, as I have mentioned, the katana for sale here are Real Authentic Japanese katanas, and will cut(if you wish it to be sharpened)
    Not to mention this has scam written all over it:

Upon purchase of the Katana, it is not neccessary for customers to pay for the full amount, but a 20% deposit will be required, and when the katana is completed in 8-9 weeks, you will then be required to pay for the remaining amount due.
    I was looking at the tsubas and their knockoff of the autumn chrysanthemum is laughable. My GOD
    Last edited by David Buck; 09-29-2006 at 01:36 PM.

Originally posted by Ron Mathers
    ... Anyway the pine is enough for me. If they use cheap materials, they probably have cheap craftmanship.
    the material used for tsuka cores is usually a deciduous softwood, the problem with pine being the pitch and resin contained within. You want a soft tsuka core so that the tsuka won't break under catastrophic pressure or force, but rather give slightly.
    "We are all imprisoned by the dictionary. We choose out of that vast, paper-walled prison our convicts, the little black printed words, when in truth we need fresh sounds to utter, new enfranchised noises which would produce a new effect."
    — Mervyn Peake

Nothing about that says scam to me. Seems like a lot of the text is lost in translation. The swords just dont look to be of great quality like you would expect from that price. There too much going on in the auction. They should just show one blade and say what all changes they can make to it. I think this is a similar company to Zhi, just not as organized.

I have talked to this guy in person, and he is full of s**t. He couldn't even tell me if he used a hammer to forge his blades or if a machine was used. He also told me that he hand crafted all his tsubas! Stay away!!

I've never heard of the company but I've dealt with ebay a lot and I don't trust what I see...

His feedback is 100% BUT you are not allowed to see what any of the buyers who supposedly left positive feedback have bought. That alone tells me to stay away. It is very easy to "sell" items to friends and relatives and have them leave feedback even though they never really bought anything. A legit seller would not have any reason to keep the items private.

He claims in one ad that he is in the midst of a big clearance sale yet has only sold ONE item in the last month, again the details of that sale are "private".

Count the number of times he uses "Japanese" in each ad. He really, really wants you to believe that these swords are forged in Japan but is very careful to never actually say that. Everything is "traditional Japanese steel", "traditional Japanese forging" and on and on. It's all carefully worded double talk for absolutely nothing.

I could be wrong but my gut tells me to stay far away from this seller.
    Last edited by Travis Stafford; 09-29-2006 at 05:24 PM.
    "When we attack today, our arrows will blot out the sun!"-Hydarnes
    "Good; then we will fight in the shade."-Leonidas
    The 300 Spartans (1962)

I do concur

Yeah, his swords look like the ones offered by "Badtrack" and those other cheap sellers. Looking at that "Hada" shot you can see his so-called "Hamon". It might just be me but I can see the strokes from the acid etch. Also, for something crafted by a master smith his tsuka-maki looks horrid.

Dear me...

Look at that Tang of the first Katana (if you could call it a Katana) on the left.

Regards,
    Zac Coppleman.
    One Breath...
    One Cut...
    One Victory!

Originally posted by Zac Coppleman.
    Look at that Tang of the first Katana (if you could call it a Katana) on the left.
    That is strange, looks like a saw blade. I've never worked in a tool and die shop but I'd guess that tang has GOT to be machined.
    The 300 Spartans (1962)

The folded steel swords are polished, but you have to pay to have them sharpened?

Do they have the slightest clue what polishing even entails?

I looked at their offerings a little while back but I was puzzled when the item location says Japan. I would have imagined shipping a sword out of Japan would no easy feat, let alone very expensive (certainly a lot more than AU$1500). I think they must be chinese if not locally (Australia) made. Certainly not worth the price tag (you could almost land a Bugei Dragonfly into Australia for that price).
    Amat victoria curam - Victory favors those who take pains

I doubt that they are shipping from Japan, you can put in anything for location, it is very easy to type in "mars" if you want.
    The 300 Spartans (1962)

The seller may have listed himself in australia, but you look at the laughable quality of these "Nihonto", and you think to yourself...........CHINA!

They look a sight better than alot of the crap that gets hammered into ebay, but i would pay $50 for that lot, and i wouldnt even dream of swinging them, or "cutting" with those things.

So run, dont walk from this maniac, and search around these forums and you will appreciate the real deal!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Stafford View Post
    I've never heard of the company but I've dealt with ebay a lot and I don't trust what I see...

His feedback is 100% BUT you are not allowed to see what any of the buyers who supposedly left positive feedback have bought. That alone tells me to stay away. It is very easy to "sell" items to friends and relatives and have them leave feedback even though they never really bought anything. A legit seller would not have any reason to keep the items private.

He claims in one ad that he is in the midst of a big clearance sale yet has only sold ONE item in the last month, again the details of that sale are "private".

Count the number of times he uses "Japanese" in each ad. He really, really wants you to believe that these swords are forged in Japan but is very careful to never actually say that. Everything is "traditional Japanese steel", "traditional Japanese forging" and on and on. It's all carefully worded double talk for absolutely nothing.

I could be wrong but my gut tells me to stay far away from this seller.

Funny, my gut is telling me exactly the same thing!

Not to mention the mish-mash of terms used in the ad, it seems to be a bunch of double talk to confuse or impress the uninitiated...

Heart of swords?

If these are an example of the heart of swords, then it's time for a triple bypass, look at the $$$$!!!!! You gotta be kidding me!

The one with the brown tsuka is a direct copy of the dragonfly katana from Bugei....buyer beware.

Wow, this guys page is just plain sad. I feel sorry for anyone who purchases from him at that price.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I see some Zhi swords pictured and I also see some tsuba designs that look identical to Masahiro, not sure if those are widely used stamped out tsuba's though. I also see a tsuba that looks just like a cheness Type 8 Iaito.

I am also curious, and I hope someone with tsuka-maki experience will answer this but would one who is a master of tsuka-maki make so many tsuka's that are inconsistent in design/wrap/shape. Almost every one on this guys page is different. I thought it looked weird.

Oh well, no point in "Beating a dead horse" I guess Buyer Beware

Blackwell

I think there's a typo in the price; AU $1,550.00 instead of AU $1.55

Cheap massproduced fittings, mixed terminology etc etc etc. Even a n00b like me knows to stay the hell away from stuff like this. Bet you a million the swords won't ship from Japan..

EDIT: reading his item descriptions is good for a cheap laugh, though..
    "The tang is pegged with two Mekugi pegs for perfect balance distribution"
    "Professional Blade Edge Density is 30HRC, Back Core Hardness is 25HRC"
    Last edited by Timo Qvintus; 01-10-2007 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A.C.Smith View Post
    If these are an example of the heart of swords, then it's time for a triple bypass, look at the $$$$!!!!! You gotta be kidding me!
    Hahaha! Quadruple, more like, not that you'd even be able to foot the insurance deductible after purchasing that balsa&stainless softie...
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

I'm lovin how many times he drops the word "Japanese" in his ad,
    "Japanese cold iron, Japanese hard timber, genuine Japanese hardened edge"
    Get your hand off it. Not to mention he's saying he's from Sydney, now I'm from Melbourne and I can't remember the last time someone called me "Respectable customer"

Quote Originally Posted by A.C.Smith View Post
    I'm lovin how many times he drops the word "Japanese" in his ad,
    "Japanese cold iron, Japanese hard timber, genuine Japanese hardened edge"
    Get your hand off it. Not to mention he's saying he's from Sydney, now I'm from Melbourne and I can't remember the last time someone called me "Respectable customer"
    Actually, that constitutes it as a fraudulent listing by eBay standards. He's claiming the swords are made from "Japanese tatara home smelters" and that they are "tama-hagane."

Tatara smelters are technically only in Japan, run by the NBTHK.

Tamahagane is only made in Japan.

These are both semantic issues, but because of them, the seller is saying the steel is from Japan. Last I knew, Tamahagane was made by the NBTHK and distributed in a controlled manner.

I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

Good point, I'm no fanatical ebay hunter, but is there not supposed to be some kind of regulation on false claims? When I was looking for my first sword a friend suggested that I check out ebay, I did and it scared the hell out me, even as a novice. I have done quite a bit of reading, listening and buying (books, not swords) since then, but still wonder how many poor buggers buy their first katana from some guy in Shanghai claiming that it is the real deal, only to find out that they could have bought the same at their local nik-nak market and saved themselves $$$$ in shipping.

Anyway that's my rant, it just pisses me off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast