Thread: Favorite drizzt fight

Favorite drizzt fight

There are alot of fights in R.A. Salvatores Drizzt Do'Urden books. He seems to have fought everything, form dragons to giants to demons. What are your guy's favorites? Mine was probably when he fights Artemis Entreri. Especially the one in Siege of Darkness when they are fighting over Regis in the ledge. However I am still reading through the books and might find a cooler fight
    Last edited by J. Rowan; 12-26-2005 at 09:08 PM.
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost,
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost,
    From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring,
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.

-Lord of the Rings

The one where he is killed and wiped out of existance? Or perhaps that's just wishful thinking...

But seriously, Salvatore can't write a decent fight scene if his life depended on it, judging from what I've read. Even Robert Jordan, the hack, writes more exciting fights. No, as far as I know there is no "best" Drizzt fight, since there's hardly a good one.

Might I suggest Guy Gavriel Kay, Robert E. Howard, David Gemmell, Dan Abnett or even Peter Morwood if you want decent literary fight scenes.

Of course, if there really are som great Drizzt fights out there, I would very much like to see quotes/excerpts to back it up. I'm always ready to be proven wrong.

/Joel - not a Salvatore fan

I've read soo many of them, I kind of got bored.

However, I think the best fight in the books would be the one between Artemis & 'The Heart.' Not much of a fight though.

Haven't gotten that far what is the "Heart'. I will agree there are an awful lot.
    Last edited by J. Rowan; 12-27-2005 at 07:06 PM.

-Lord of the Rings

Drizzt's fights are flashy... First reading them, you say, "cool"...

Then, on a second thought, you remember how Drizzt, the Ultra Nimble Two-sworded Drow swordsman had to fight a huge, greataxe-armed hunter for like 2 pages... and how his lightning fast scimitars got blocked by the hunter's lumbering axe.

Salvatore's fights are like movie fights. Everyone keeps banging their weapons against their opponents until one opponent grows bored and prefers to die by a blade instead of boredom...
    War is brutality; Duelling, is art.

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

Personally, nothing compares whatsoever to the fight scene in Robert E Howard's Pheonix of the Sword. A half dead Conan, back to the wall, bloody axe in one hand, broken sword in the other, just refusing to die.

And then the demon shows up...

I've just picked up The Dark Elf Trilogy, so perhaps I can make a more constructive, informed or even more whiny post sometime soon.

Joel, the books are nice. Not great, nice.

But you won't read them a second time for the fights only.

Originally posted by Odysseas Dallas
    Joel, the books are nice. Not great, nice.

But you won't read them a second time for the fights only.
    I've read the first chapters and I'm not clawing my eyes out just yet. The fights however have so far pretty much been a low point in the story, consisting mostly of "he went in to the room, cut everyone down and whipped some chick's toungue out". Not very exciting.
    As for the cloak and dagger intrigue stuff, he's about on par with White Wolf's Vampire: The Masquerade writers, wich is kinda funny, since the intrigue stuff works a bit a cheesy for the drow, but when it's the central part of plot, like in the camarilla books, it's just tedious.
    Kudos to Salvatore for at least going over the top in the right direction with it.

/Joel

I thought the duel between Drizzt and the barbarian chieftain was good, he shoved both his scimitars in the chieftain's belly and then slit it open. That was the battle where Wulfgar met Bruenor, also.

I got a lot of mileage out of the dark elf trilogy, it was great summer reading at the beach, on the train and the porch of my summer house.
    I didn't expect dramaturgical genius and such, I was just happy to be visit that world which I was familiar with from the "AD&D" computer games and Neverwinter Nights.
    He who undertakes to rule the kingdom and to shape it according to his whim will fail to reach his goal.
    The kingdom is a living being. It cannot be constructed. He who tries to manipulate it will spoil it, he who tries to put it under his power will lose it.

Lao-Tzu

Niklas, if you're referring to what I said, I wasn't saying about the barbarian chieftain (which I have no recollection of, actually), but to that mercenary/hunter/whatever with the magic axe. There was no Wulfgar in the Dark Elf trilogy.

I wasn't referring to your post, I was making my own statement to the thread author.
    The Barbarian showdown in the "Icewind Dale"-trilogy was notable to me, and then I said that I got entertained by the "Dark Elf" trilogy.
    He who undertakes to rule the kingdom and to shape it according to his whim will fail to reach his goal.
    The kingdom is a living being. It cannot be constructed. He who tries to manipulate it will spoil it, he who tries to put it under his power will lose it.

Lao-Tzu

Seems I misunderstood it a little. Pardon me.

Thanks for the replies guys. I like the cloak and dagger stuff too. Yes Niklas the fight between Drizzt and the Barbrian leader was really cool.

-Lord of the Rings

Personally I like almost all of the fight sequences in the varios Salvatore books (excluding about half from the Cleric Quintet). My favorite ones would probably have to be the fights that he had with Zak (can't remember the full spelling of his father's name) before he left the underdark in the prequel series (Dark Elf trilogy), especially the one after he graduates the Acedamy and Zak fights with him to see if Drizzt turned into a "typical" drow and Drizzt uses the improved double down block and catches Zak completly off guard with the kick to the face.

Second best would have to be the fights with Artemis. They almost seemed to be mirror images of each other in the fights (with the exception of the morale reasons for why each was fighting).

The part that I like about Salvatore's writing is that he describes things in just enough detail to still leave a little bit up to the imagination so that when I fill in the blanks it is like I can almost see a picture of the fights in my head. I have read all of the books in the Drizzt series several times each and I am hoping for a new book in the near future.

Zak (can't remember the full spelling of his father's name)
    Zaknafein

Second best would have to be the fights with Artemis.
    I do enjoy the character of Artemis, that's why I'm glad that his latest ones seem to be based around Artemis and Jarlaxle rather than Drizzt, who's holier-than-thou attitude was starting to grate for me
    'A flake of snow on a blazing stove' - Takeda Shingen

'Falling without sound;
    The flower scatters, petals
    Drifting on the wind'
    - Myself, inspired by poetry within the Shinkage-ryu's written teachings.

I haven't had a chance to pick up that series yet. I have read the servant of the shard, but not the two after it. Servant of the Shard was a great book imho. It was a nice switch to delve into the characters of Artemis and Jarlaxle more, and some of the bantering that goes on between the two characters is just halarious. I have been hoping for a new story in the Cadderly books (Cleric Quintet), but the closets that has been done is to integrate some of the characters into other books.

I know it ain't Drizzt.. but one statement: Guttbuster Brigade!
    Smile to the world and it grins back.
    Eat a banana and be carefree.

Guttbusters - I think they are named that because they are so odd and funny that everyone always laughs at them so hard that they bust a gut.