Thread: Bloodgroove's buster blade.

Bloodgroove's buster blade.

Has anyone ever tried to make the sword that is seen in Adrian's cartoon "Bloodgroove"? The sort of a buster blade with a nifty peace sign inset into the habaki? (As seen in Bloodgroove #23)

That would be a funny sword to make, and I'm strongly tempted to give it a try...
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
    Leonardo da Vinci

"A little science estranges men from God, but much science leads them back to Him."
    Louis Pasteur

OK, the temptation is too great. I plan to make an L6 Bloodgroove blade. It will be 4 inches wide by about 20 inches blade length with an 8 inch tsuka, and the nifty peace sign habaki will be two layers of copper with the peace sign cut out of the outer layer.

In keeping with the spirit of the overall groovieness of the sword, the hamon will be totally simulated by etching. The only thing I have to decide on is what kind of tsuba to use.

Wish me luck.
    Last edited by jim frank; 11-07-2006 at 10:22 AM.
    Leonardo da Vinci

"A little science estranges men from God, but much science leads them back to Him."
    Louis Pasteur

L6? You gonna upquench that sukkah for mixed martensite/bainite?
    What are the facts? Again and again and again - what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell," avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history" — what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts! - - Heinlein

I started it this weekend, but my wife had the camera so I'll get photos later. I'm using a recycled bandsaw blade from a lumbermill, so I don't know that it is L6 for sure. I don't plan to do any heat treat, as it is plenty hard and tough as it is. It took a bit of grunting to bend out the slight curve that was still in the steel as a reminder of its former glory. I decided to weld on a bolster sort of assembly so that the rather small hilt wouldn't bend in use. I cut out a pair of plates that will make the hilt and the area covered by the habaki three thicknesses of steel. I got the habaki formed, and now I need to do the peace sign inlay. This steel is a real SOB to drill. I ruined three drill bits before I switched to a carbide pointed drill. Oddly, the stuff starts drilling just fine, then just before you break the hole through, *SCREECH*. Maybe it has a bunch of manganese in it or something, but it seems to work harden like crazy as soon as you begin to really deform the steel. I was drilling through the bolster plates, so I could sort of 'spot weld' them to the main blade. I finally did an edge weld all the way around, for strength.

One cool thing- the blade rings like a bell when you tap it with a wooden stick. Very cool. I shudder to think how I'll get the nakagi ana drilled....

May have to buy stock in a drill bit company.
    Leonardo da Vinci

Louis Pasteur

Here's the photo. Authentic Hell-6 Painite blade. 24 inch blade; sorry, no sori; 8 inch nakago; battle ready (tm)

The blade needs a name. How about "grooveBuster"?

Next step is to grind the blade profiles in, which is a little challenging because of the somewhat extreme aspect ratio of the cross section. It should be a good cutter, in any case. I plan a poplar tsuka, with all copper fittings. The tsuba is still being designed, but will be simple, robust, and made of copper or bronze.

A fun, if slightly goofy project.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jim frank; 11-13-2006 at 02:31 PM.
    Leonardo da Vinci

Louis Pasteur

Jim - First off, great job so far. Second - I think someone has way to much time on their hands. Third - keep us posted.

This is turning out to be a really nice fun project. What is the total weight so far?

Heh- it's only taken an afternoon, so far-about six hours all told. I'll weigh it when I get a chance to work on it again-probably wednesday evening. My guesstimate is that it weighs about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds. Not too unweildy.
    Leonardo da Vinci

Louis Pasteur

Any new updates on this project?

I have the tsuka core finished, and the tsuba as well. The tsuba is solid copper, 1/4 inch thick, and weighs almost a pound by itself

I'll post pictures later. I weighed it - it's a fairly manly 3 pounds, 2 ounces right now. It shouldn't get much heavier, as all I have to add now is the fuchi and maybe a thin seppa to tighten the tsuka up a little.

It isn't going to be a really refined piece, as it is intended as a joke more than anything, but it will be an almost fully dismountable sword. The habaki is pretty permanently attached to the blade, and the kashira is glued to the tsuka core with JB weld, for strength.
    Leonardo da Vinci

Louis Pasteur

I have the tsuka core finished, and the tsuba as well. The tsuba is solid copper, 1/4 inch thick, and weighs almost a pound by itself

I'll post pictures later. I weighed it - it's a fairly manly 3 pounds, 2 ounces right now. It shouldn't get much heavier, as all I have to add now is the fuchi and maybe a thin seppa to tighten the tsuka up a little.

It isn't going to be a really refined piece, as it is intended as a joke more than anything, but it will be an almost fully dismountable sword. The habaki is pretty permanently attached to the blade, and the kashira is glued to the tsuka core with JB weld, for strength. It will be a useable blade, and I want the tsuka to be as strong as possible, given the rather large mass of the blade...
    Leonardo da Vinci

Louis Pasteur

Quote Originally Posted by jim frank View Post
    Here's the photo. Authentic Hell-6 Painite blade. 24 inch blade; sorry, no sori; 8 inch nakago; battle ready (tm)

Next step is to grind the blade profiles in, which is a little challenging because of the somewhat extreme aspect ratio of the cross section. It should be a good cutter, in any case. I plan a poplar tsuka, with all copper fittings. The tsuba is still being designed, but will be simple, robust, and made of copper or bronze.

A fun, if slightly goofy project.

Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!!! *SPEW ALERT!!!*

That was sooo funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOO AWESOME!!!

Original image:
    http://forums.swordforum.com/attachm...5&d=1142306600

The guard is not necessarily round. It can be kind of a flattened oval. You might need a pommel in profile with the grip to counterbalance the blade. But it is browned like iron, and the "pommel" has a little eyelet and brass eyelet thingie.

Bloodgroove asks, "Where's the Peace symbol, my man?"
    Adrian
    Maestro of the Bolognese School (Spaghetti sauce, not fencing!)

Click HERE for the SFI comic strip "Bloodgroove"!

Hi Adrian. The guard is a very flattened oval- it's just over an inch wide at the center, and goes to a half inch wide at the ends. The hilt is just under an inch thick, and just over an inch wide- a slightly oval shape. The 'pommel' is made of copper, and will be patinated to a brownish color. Is the guard also brown, or will another antiqued copper color work? The peace sign is coming along, too- I tried etching it, but the etchant was getting under the mask, and blurring the lines, so I sanded it off to start over. It will be engraved and filled with black paint or enamel.

I have special plans for the sword- You'll have to wait and see, it's a surprise...
    Leonardo da Vinci

Louis Pasteur

Yulan, NY, yes I know you have never heard of it:D
    Where Did You Get A Peice Of L6 That Big!??!??!??!??!??!??!
    I dunno. Iron is sort-of the Paris Hilton of metals, and carbon, nickel, chromium silicon, etc. are a bunch of good looking guys she just met at a party. - Al Massey

Hi Adrian. The guard is a very flattened oval- it's just over an inch wide at the center, and goes to a half inch wide at the ends. The hilt is just under an inch thick, and just over an inch wide- a slightly oval shape. The 'pommel' is made of copper, and will be patinated to a brownish color. Is the guard also brown, or will another antiqued copper color work? The peace sign is coming along, too- I tried etching it, but the etchant was getting under the mask, and blurring the lines, so I sanded it off to start over. It will be engraved and filled with black paint or enamel.

I have special plans for the sword- You'll have to wait and see, it's a surprise...
    I belive it the guard to have a rustic dark brown appearance similar to the old iron guards on some Japanese swords.

Wow, I cant wait to see it!! I haven't been this excited about a sword for a while, even though it's the preferred weapon of my own whacked-out cartoon character!
    Adrian

No no no...

You should name it Bustagroove...

Ethan- Bustagroove it is. Here's a photo. The proportions are distorted by the camera angle, a little.

Sam- the blade is from a truly monstrous bandsaw at a nearby sawmill. The original sawblade is eight inches wide, 1/16 inch thick, and probably more than thirty feet long. I had a couple of chunks that I got at our local metal scrap place. Makes really great kitchen knives.

[edit] I lied about the weight of the guard- it's down to eight ounces. It was a pound before profiled it out...
    Leonardo da Vinci

Louis Pasteur

Jim, you are doing a great job. Things are really coming together. What are you planning on covering the tsuka with?

Bustagroove is a great name for it!

Given the solidly black looking nature of the original, I was thinking of wrapping it with a wider silk-looking ribbon I have on hand. I plan a flat wrap, glued to the core, for both simplicity and sturdiness. The ribbon has raised edges, so there will be a more grippy feel.

I've antiqued the copper to a dark brown that looks pretty nice, IMO. I picked up the 'eyelet' thingies for the hole in the pommel. (I could use the Japanese terms, I guess, but I'll go with the groove)

I'll post a photo later, after I mount the 'eyelet thingies'
    Leonardo da Vinci

Louis Pasteur

Ethan- Bustagroove it is. Here's a photo. The proportions are distorted by the camera angle, a little.

Sam- the blade is from a truly monstrous bandsaw at a nearby sawmill. The original sawblade is eight inches wide, 1/16 inch thick, and probably more than thirty feet long. I had a couple of chunks that I got at our local metal scrap place. Makes really great kitchen knives.

[edit] I lied about the weight of the guard- it's down to eight ounces. It was a pound before profiled it out...

My oh MY, that is crazy! You don't happen top have any small bits laying around do you?
    I dunno. Iron is sort-of the Paris Hilton of metals, and carbon, nickel, chromium silicon, etc. are a bunch of good looking guys she just met at a party. - Al Massey

Sam- I have a few small bits, let me know what you have in mind and I might be able to send some to you. I plan to use a little of the 'scrap' to make a couple of paring knives for Christmas gifts...

Here are a couple of photos of the practically finished blade. I have been having a few health problems, as well as a critical time crunch with Christmas coming up, so I might decide it's done and wrap it up.

It's a gift for a special person.
    Leonardo da Vinci

Louis Pasteur

Sam- I have a few small bits, let me know what you have in mind and I might be able to send some to you. I plan to use a little of the 'scrap' to make a couple of paring knives for Christmas gifts...

Here are a couple of photos of the practically finished blade. I have been having a few health problems, as well as a critical time crunch with Christmas coming up, so I might decide it's done and wrap it up.

It's a gift for a special person.
    OK, i'll PM you. IT looks GREAT! I cannot beleive it(well i can actually), now all we need is a Bloodgroove look alike! I hope you feel better Jim!

Absolutely stunning! It radiates manly-manliness (as Dandy Don would used to say) and oozes cool. It even emanates 70's music! This blade's got a lotta soul!
    Adrian

Soul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, it's been shipped to its new owner. I didn't finish it as completely as I wanted to, due to a stay in the hospital and an upcoming surgery. (tomorrow, if anyone wondered. )

Anyway, it was a fun project, and I can't wait to get home from the hospital and be recovered enough to go back into the shop. A Kilic is longing for my attention, and I have a wakizashi ready to be hardened.

Talk to you all in a few days...
    Leonardo da Vinci

Louis Pasteur

Good Luck Jim, prayers go with you.