Thread: Preferred Tsuka replacement?

Preferred Tsuka replacement?

How do you guys prefer to replace a tsuka? Making one, buying one, etc.

For those who buy their tsuka, or get it custom made, do you have any links to a good seller?
    There are some things in this world you just have to let go of.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Trinh View Post
    How do you guys prefer to replace a tsuka? Making one, buying one, etc.

For those who buy their tsuka, or get it custom made, do you have any links to a good seller?
    Uh... what blade do you need a new tsuka for?

As a general rule, you can not "buy" a premade tsuka for a sword. They must always be custom fit to your sword.

www.katana4u.com
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

I can personally recommend Scott Irey's work www.ASAswordworks.com. I've handled some of their katanas before they decided to go with one model (ATK). Scott can either make the core out of poplar or traditional honoki. You can request different grades of same' which he can dye as well. The maki is nice and tight with good shaping and alignment of the diamonds. I'm sure Scott would be willing to do different tsukamaki styles as well. Here's a link to exapmles of Scotts work www.asaswordworks.com/Koshirae.html.

If my DGuertin blade ever arrives I am seriously considering asking Scott to mount it for me. The only person holding me back is a man named Ted Tenold.

~Maurice
    "We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
    - T.S. Eliot

"As everything in the world is but a sham,
    The only sincerity is death." - from the 10th chapter of the Hagakure

If it's a cheap sword then sending it off to get a new tsuka core and new wrap might not be worth it. Making one isn't very difficult either, as long as you know what you're doing.
    Chibi Ken-shi

Race Sims
    Mclaren F1 `05 "Burn my Shadow"

Ford RS200 backwards at the Ring
    CTDP F1 2006 Renault At Nurburgring
    Understeer is when you hit the guardrail with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the guardrail with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the guardrail. Torque is how far you move the guardrail.

Quite true. Not to mention, learning a new craft is always a good thing.

~Maurice
    "We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
    - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Loatman View Post
    If it's a cheap sword then sending it off to get a new tsuka core and new wrap might not be worth it. Making one isn't very difficult either, as long as you know what you're doing.
    I would disagree. I found carving a new tsuka core and tsukamaki took an awful long time and effort. While I always recommend DIY projects such as this I would like to comment that they should not be taken lightly as you will need plenty of patience, especially if its your first time.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by william.m View Post
    I would disagree. I found carving a new tsuka core and tsukamaki took an awful long time and effort. While I always recommend DIY projects such as this I would like to comment that they should not be taken lightly as you will need plenty of patience, especially if its your first time.

Will
    That's why i said "if you know what you're doing", you don't have to know the ins and outs of a tsuka to be able to carve one, especially if you already have some decent wood working skills and just do some searches on the proper construction, the maki on the other hand might be a bit difficult but you can always do a imogata tsuka and use that template thing, might not be as tight and durable but it'd look nice, but spending close to what the sword cost to get it wrapped professionally is a bit much.

There are simple tips to make carving easy and quick.
    Chibi Ken-shi

Race Sims

Understeer is when you hit the guardrail with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the guardrail with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the guardrail. Torque is how far you move the guardrail.

but spending close to what the sword cost to get it wrapped professionally is a bit much.
    This is obviously subjective. What's to say it's a bit much really? It all depends on what you have available to you, and what you choose to do with it. If you want to DIY then great, do it. If you can't or won't and want the tsuka done by a person who does it for a living then great, send it to them. Either way, there's nothing saying it's a bit much, or not enough.

~Maurice
    - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Cate View Post
    This is obviously subjective. What's to say it's a bit much really? It all depends on what you have available to you, and what you choose to do with it. If you want to DIY then great, do it. If you can't or won't and want the tsuka done by a person who does it for a living then great, send it to them. Either way, there's nothing saying it's a bit much, or not enough.

~Maurice
    What i meant by it was that if you can't afford a decent sword then would a good wrap on it really help, if you can even afford it? Maybe, but it might need a whole new tsuka before a wrap, or a number of other things fixed or replaced, and if you can afford all that then why not buy a better sword to begin with? The main reasons one would get a wrap are for swordsmnship use, or to make it look better, if it's for swordsmanhip a low-quality sword shouldn't even be considered, if it's for looks get some silk ito, make a template, and save some money. That's how i feel atleast, i do alot of ito maki myself but tsuka on low-quality swords are a pain to wrap, you have to work through all the crap and force the maki on, rather than having everything work in unison.
    Chibi Ken-shi

Race Sims

Quote Originally Posted by william.m View Post

Will

Not nessessary, if you have the right tools. Experience helps too. With a set of tsuka/saya drawknife thingies and some high quality nomi, I could probably carve out a core in less than 5 minutes. With a good chisel alone, probably ten minutes.
    Glen Mergnes

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Mergnes View Post
    Not nessessary, if you have the right tools. Experience helps too. With a set of tsuka/saya drawknife thingies and some high quality nomi, I could probably carve out a core in less than 5 minutes. With a good chisel alone, probably ten minutes.
    wow, well that is certainly a lot faster than my carving times. But I am a beginer so that would be the reason. Anyways I think that the poster is refering to people who do not have high levels of experience in carving tsuka or tsukamaki as otherwise In that case don't think there would be a choice between carving or buying.

Will

deleted post
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.