Thread: new wootz furnace

new wootz furnace

Hi all

just working on my new crucible steel furnace... and i was just test firing it... to dry out the bore... and snapped a couple pic's....

take care
    Greg

Oh.. i almost forgot to characterize it

its basically lined with ceramic wool... and the bore is coated with a castable cement..
    the bore will easily hold an A6 crucible...
    - its only being run in the pictures at a dull red temp.... and it produced alot of steam at this stage
    - this is a departure from my other style furnaces.... where i used rammable bricks for refractory..

the blower is off a large central vacuum... it does push alot of air... but not as much as my old blower... but hopefully the higher insulation efficiency of the wool will make up for the lack of air power...

the blower is also has a speed controller ....which is critical to dial in the proper air fuel mix...

as for how it sounds........ alot like a jet engine.... its very exciting

take care
    Greg

Hi Greg,

Thank you very much for sharing these fascinating pictures. Could you please post some pictures of the patterns of crucible steel you ahve made? I am always fascinated by the quality work you produce. Again, thank you very much for sharing.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

great pics Greg.
    I have a similar cylinder which I lined with fire cement and cermaic wool. I made it for forging but it's too big for that .

I've thought of converting it into a melting furnace for crucibles , but the only problem is I have cut 2 holes in the sides of the cylinder to pass a steel bar through (the cylinder stands vertical) .

I'll try blocking up the holes with fire clay and ceramic wool and see if I can knock up some crucible steel one day.

Oh yeah, and I agree with Manoucher. Please show us pics of your wootz!
    "If metal can be polished to a mirror-like finish,
    What polishing might the Mirror of the Heart require"

Rumi

Greg, let me know when you get the next firing done. I'll run up my press "Igor" and flatten that baby out for ya.

thank you Manoucher
    I'm working on a blade at the moment....if i'm lucky i will post some pictures tonight !... It should be a dendritic wootz...

Hi Mumtaz
    yes...it should work as long as the fireclay holds up as the hot face... ...on my furnace i used cercast ht for the hot face..

here's a little help..... i find too many people that try melting steel have too small a burner... and waaaaaay too small a blower...

heres a quicky schematic i whipped up... to give you and idea of the burner.... and for a blower.... get something about 200-300cfm... pending on how good your insulation is..

Hi Al
    -- thanks for the offer..... thats press would make life alot easier

take care
    Greg

ps.. if you look around in my photobucket albums... theres some old wootz pictures there

Such great, helpful information--thanks, Greg!

Thanks Greg,

I need to get a decent blower. I currently use venturi burners, and have one HUGE venturi burner from a UK company that might do the trick.

I'll see how I get on with that, if it doesnt work out then your schematic will be of great help, so thanks !

Rumi

Hi Mumtaz

i tried the venturri route before......and it failed for me.... but i've seen others make it work...
    -- for myself......i went to a blower and it became very simple to tune the furnace for maximum burn within the furnace bore........if you get a large flame out of the bore........ thats just fuel being burnt outside and not helping..

i hurried up and polished and etched yesterday...... and i got some pictures of two knives i'm working on... .. they are etched abit dark but show up ok in the pictures

and here is a small knife

take care
    Greg

Marvellous blade. Thank you very much my dear friend. THe pattern is really marvellous. Congratulations.

KInd regards

Manouchehr

Fashinating...
    Greg, if it is an information you can share... how much steel you'll be able to
    produce each time with this furnace ?
    Last edited by Carlo Giuseppe Tacchini; 11-10-2006 at 12:05 PM.
    Please forgive my english.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo Giuseppe Tacchini View Post
    Fashinating...
    Greg, if it is an information you can share... how much steel you'll be able to
    produce each time with this furnace ?
    Greg

Thanks again. Really marvellous blades. Do you mind posting the pictures directly on SFI?

KInd regards

Manouchehr

Thanks Greg, I'll keep it in mind regarding the blower.

Nice pics. I like the profile of the first blade....and the pattern is remarkably like old persian wootz.

hehe my polishing setup is very similar to yours. I use water instead of WD40, however .

Keep it up Greg ....when do we see a wootz shamshir or tulwar coming outta your workshop?

Rumi

thank you

sorry for the late reply

Carlo, i try to make my ingots around the 3 to 6lbs size and at 1.5% carbon... some are cut in half while most are forged as they are into one bar..... it is a long process as i usually do this by hand... but that is part of the magic of wootz steel... .. it loves to keep you in the forge, hard at work..

thank you Manoucher for the very kind comments !

thanks Mumtaz.. i sometimes take my polishing inside and listen to the world news... that jig is very simple... it sits infront of me while i sit down.. and my feet hold the very end of the board from wiggling.. haha.... its like a yoga position kind of polishing.. and meditative, aswell

funny you mention the shamshir...... i've got a project i'm working on.... its an old ingot.. ( one of my first ) that i said i'd hold onto.... but had a moment of weakness an i began forging it out.... its about 3/4 of the way done... and i have no idea if the pattern is good... just a project for rainy days..

take care
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Thomas View Post
    at 1.5% carbon...
    Wow... how much of it you lose in the shaping process ?
    Do you end up with > 1% ? (Totally new at wootz but interested in...)

Fascinating Greg, thank you very much for sharing.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Hi Carlo

you do lose abit of ingot from the repeated forging... some of it is lost to fire scale ... but you do end up with a good length of barstock..

-- wootz is a funny material....... as the charge is made of 1.5% carbon but not all that goes into the steel matrix..... a good portion of it goes into the large carbides that are in wootz..... so it acts much like a steel with .7 to .8% percent carbon..

i'm not sure what i end up with.. but it does spark shorter than a file when you put it on the bench grinder.. ( which does say something about its carbon level)

take care
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Thomas View Post
    a good portion of it goes into the large carbides that are in wootz..... so it acts much like a steel with .7 to .8% percent carbon..
    Thanks Greg. Really interesting.

Very helpful information, Greg. The blade looks nice. Do you ever make blades with the pool-and-eye pattern?

The early photos of the camera looking inside the furnace reminds me of nearly anything captured from the Hubble or Cassini satellites. Am I alone on that?

Sincerely,

Doug M

Nice work! Great pattern too!
    Dr. Ann

Quote Originally Posted by Doug M View Post
    captured from the Hubble or Cassini satellites.
    So Greg is from Mars ? Now I understand because he makes wootz...

thanks all

Doug: I do sometimes cut grooves and drill shallow holes .... on that second blade, there is a series of ladders on it..... hard to see sometimes..

... you can also forge raised parts.... and grind those little stubb's off ..... its basically the opposite of drilling holes... ...makes nice pattern aswell..

thanks again
    Greg

ps... i've almost finished the handle on the small one...... and beginning to mount the large blade