Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Zhi. Zhang sword Opinions!

Question

Here's one for Tomaz and Les; I'm trying to determine a common ground for what we're talking about here.

Tomaz, what was your opinion on the fittings on your Zhang? Were they upgraded (hand made) or cast alloy ones? Would you consider them usable?

Les, what range of Zhang's were on display is that show; low-end, mid-range or high-end? What kind of fittings were they, upgraded (hand made) or cast alloy ones? How would you compare the koshirae to, say, low-end to mid-range Cheness or Hanwei? I understand these aren't your main interest but I'd like something for a frame of reference.

Les, your idea of Zhang's blades actually coming from a same forge as some other brand's blades is interesting and could be a reason why Zhang doesn't want to publish photos from his sword-making process. On the other hand, do the other brands offer customization of swords like Zhang does?

One more thing Les, could you further explain this "hit and miss" of Zhang swords? I would assume you have a broader experience on them than just one or two swords to form such an opinion; was there an actual display of variety of Zhang's swords and by whom (company or private)? Or were you referring to Zhang, Masahiro and LL in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Joo-Hwan Lee View Post
    Oh dear~ Who is picking a fight with whom? I'm not the one who is lashing out by saying "Get a life." I'm certainly not the one who has resorted to ad hominem attacks. Who is frustrated? Why, you are. Stop while you're ahead, lad.

Litigation? Oh, PLEASE. And I have no problem admitting that I was wrong if it can be so proven~ You see, Sean, actually having a life means that I can admit such things here without letting it ruin my day; and it also means that I feel no desire to PM you whatsoever~ though you would have been better off taking your own advice.

Joo,

I've an extremely happy family, home and social life with a high degree of financial security and independancy, thank you very much. If ever I do feel a need to air any supposed frustrations / accusations (You've wrongly presumed to assume something again) I tend to utilise the correct use of grammar alongside tact. Items akin to ?, !, etc., come in very useful at times.

Try not to take yourself so seriously. I certainly don't, but your repetitive use of sarcasm and insistance tends to confirm a reliance upon the use of put-downs with an apparently brash air of condescension regarding others and their views.

You're standing on very uneven ground inasmuch as passing - as yet - unsubstantiated and unconfirmed accusations in a public fora, with a highly realistic risk of litigation via Zhi.

Being tracked down and served a high court writ does have a tendancy to ruin a person's day. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

-------------
    Careful thought, consideration & communication is well worth the effort and end result.

Just an update. Mr.Zhang is now aware of this issue and I hope to hear from him soon. As to my katana, it will ship after Christmas as the polish is not yet complete. Sure is nice being able to get quick responses to my emails As for the delay,... well, after reading several posts here regarding extensive delays, I would feel foolish for complaining about a few extra days.
    I know this is becoming a heated issue, but I would like to once again put forth my offer to ship my katana to a qualified person ( conus ) and have them perform a review. Sean, are you in the USA ?

Edit; I see you are not Well Maybe some one local to me here in Western WA might be interested in taking a first hand look ....??? Sorry Sean
    Last edited by Skip Gardner; 12-19-2006 at 05:54 AM. Reason: ooops

Several moderators are in your neck of the woods...

Thank you M.K. I would greatly appriciate any of the local persons to accept my offer. I will deliver or ship.

Now, I have been speaking with Mr.Zhang and first would like to explain the delay in my katana. They forged 3 blades before Mr.Zhang was happy with the results, and now my katana is in the polish/sharpening process. Not bad for a production blade IMO

As to the pictures, here is Mr.Zhangs response. You tell me what this means. I understand it just fine.

"you can tell them, zhang family can forge that blade . some blades pictures not under blue background were my friend sent me , the blades seem is zhou zhen wu family . but i can't assure . we can forge that blade . not misleading "

I would quote my earlier response to the question as to why these pictures are on his site, but doesnt seem it would matter to some. But you should all take into account that I have been emailing and messaging with Mr.Zhang over the last 4 months and yes, I do feel I have a pretty good read on him.

Those that are firmly anti Zhi will not even consider this, while I'm sure those of us who wish to give this company a chance will.

At this time, I would like to say again that I am not so much defending the quality of product as I am the quality of person who I am dealing with. Mr.Zhang has been honost with me from the begining and this is no small thing. I asked for a hamon style I wanted and he was honost and said that at this time it was not possible. He was quick to point out that the cast alloy fittings were low end, and that others were available but would obviously cost more. My choice. I went for brass. Not hand made, but not cheap alloy either. I specified NO etched hamon. And now he ( Zhi Swords ) has forged not one or two, but three blades to acheive what I have asked for. He will be sending me some video's of some of the process soon. Will I be able to share these? No idea. If I can, I will. If he asks me not to, I wont.

I do plan on telling Mr.Zhang that he should edit his page to indicate that the blade pictures in question are indeed not his product, but examples of what CAN be made.

For those of you that are only attempting to educate and inform, I wish to thank you. I truly believe for the most part all that is being asked of us Noobs is to LEARN. Dont simply grab the lowest cost blade and think we are now collectors. Joo has many very valid points and the obvious history and experience to back up his convictions. Sean as well seems to be in the "know" and his opinions are valid as well. As to us noobs.... well.... I think I need to read more, type less, and continue to improve my collection.

Thanks all,
    Skip

Thanks for the clarification Skip, and your progress report.

I'll add some smilies here so what I'm about to write doesn't come across as too negative..

[ ]About the pics. I think it's not a question of whether or not Zhang can forge a sword like that, but whether or not Zhang has forged a blade like that or indeed, the very same blade. Until someone goes ahead and orders that very blade and gets what he/she ordered then the picture shouldn't be there, no matter how close friend he is to the guy who made it. If the text "here's what we can make on a custom order" is added to those pics (plus the origin of the pics and the copyright of the owner of them) it's OK by me. But I know some will be less tolerant..[/ ]

Exactly Timo. This is what I just conveyed to Mr.Zhang. And no, I dont take what your saying as negative, just sound thinking I can see easily where having those pictures on his site will cause confusion and be viewed as missleading. I think we will see at least some sort of change to the site soon. I actually suggested that if not removed, a line above those pictures saying "We can forge this". Is this accurate? No idea. I have not seen what they can do. But at least there will be no confusion as to if they are claiming them as their own or using as an example.

It's sort of like me saying I'm sleeping with Angelina Jolie ...because I could...if only she knew I existed...and let me...and drops the restraining order

Seriously though...Reality is he pulled a fast one and got caught...best thing is admit it ...remove it ...and move on.

I seriously don't think it will hurt his business... a certain purveyor has kept customers waiting for years for Chinese Katana (many of them shobu) and yet people continue to order.

Honestly,this Zhang is a canny business man.

Respond quickly to emails...share "private information" with customers and make them feel privy to some insider status...

Seems to work, certainly we have our share of Zhang faithfuls...willing to testify to the character of a man the've never met.

Nothing like the art of the graft.

Really, there's not much wrong with the lower end swords for their price range...Surely the equal of Ryumon , Furubushido,bushidoand Koto in the $99-$200 range.

The oportunity to let the customer "customize " the sword,ala paartist, is good business...

But the idea that these guys are producing custom swords anywhere near the $2000 price range is, at best ,laughable given the current evidence,including Zhangs on pictures of a $2300 sword.

Honestly I'd take my Masahiro Bamboo over any of the Zhi swords I've seen...not to mention Oni Forge, Dynasty Forge, Hanwei...

Forget customs... The Zhi pictures show nothing that comes close to an Oni Ukigumo or a Hanwei Tiger or Tori .

For us to even begin to compare these to a Raw , Sorrells or di Cristifano is insulting....

But , you offer a viable $150 product...then dress one up and talk it up, and price it a two grand, and someone might pay rhe price...Worth a shot.

Worst that can happen is you have to end up selling it for the $150 it's worth.

Smile

I don't know diddly squat about high-end blades but I agree, the prices of Zhang's high-end are ridiculous. But the only one who has compared them to "Raw , Sorrells or di Cristifano" is you, MK..

Quote Originally Posted by Timo Qvintus View Post
    I don't know diddly squat about high-end blades but I agree, the prices of Zhang's high-end are ridiculous. But the only one who has compared them to "Raw , Sorrells or di Cristifano" is you, MK..
    Timo, by putting a certain price-tag on his high-end blades, Zhang himself has invited such comparisons. Don't you agree?

As for his "explanation", it's even less than what I expected. Sorry, Skip, but MK is right. Zhang should just admit his wrongdoing and move on. I could respect that, at least.

Nico, your deleted post actually seems quite relevant still. I will do my part by ignoring further personal attacks thrown my way.

So, in that spirit-- Sean, although your petty hysterics are really getting quite tiresome, you would really be better off taking your own highly hypocritical advice by sending a PM if you have a problem with me. I won't bother to reply to anymore of your whiny tantrums here, so stop harassing me.
    "It is my feeling that to make a good sword, one must make a weapon first, and art second. But if it is really "right", it is both things at once, and in equal measure." -- Howard Clark

"I cannot compensate for improper use of a sword. Nothing is bullet proof and idiots prove on a regular basis that nothing is idiot-proof -- they're just too creative." -- Keith Larman

Joo,

Inasmuch as your accusations concerning "petty hysterics", "whiney tantrums", "taking your own hypocrytical advice", "stop harrassing me" are concerned ....... Let's just say your bravado and condescending attitude speaks volumes and shows you for what you really are. Life's too short for anyone to even consider attempting to communicate with petty little individuals such as yourself. I practise what I preach. Do you?

Communication via PM was offered, but refused and the present situation will remain unchanged.

Personal attacks? lol Simply passing and conveying observations, whilst returning a favour. You're forgotten already

---------------

Moving on

---------------

Hi Skip,

It's good to learn you've been able to communicate with Mr. Zhang, but a shame he's - so far - unable to rectify the present miss-understanding in a more direct manner. Regardless of whether he'd used "borrowed" pictures or not, I believe there's a need for him to clarify the intent behind their use. His name, prospective reputation and business have been placed in jeopardy by their use after all.

------------

Another massive problem with the pricing of Zhi's "high end $2k + custom" swords relates to the massive discrepancy between Chinese and western economies. With the average wage for Chinese production workers presently being the equivalent to £23 / $46 per week, doesn't their price label strike anyone as being extremely high?

Forge folded blade and full polish take a matter of two weeks - mostly depending upon the style being followed and potential "accidents" during quench. Doesn't that equate to £46 / $92 + materials and overheads? Custom made saya can cost virtually anything, but this depends heavily upon the materials applied during their manufacture and laquer work. Add in whatever percentages you wish, but I still struggle to come to terms with folks willingness to spend such high amounts on production blades made in China or the Orient.

My wife produces individual sets of fully inlaid, high grade menuki, fuchi and koshira (Including mokume) for Nihonto within very short time frames and charges accordingly, but nowhere near the artificially high prices we find as Chinese made add-on's / spares through certain outlets.
    Careful thought, consideration & communication is well worth the effort and end result.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stonebridge View Post
    Let's just say your bravado and condescending attitude speaks volumes and shows you for what you really are.
    Of course, your attitude has been nothing but exemplary. You began this whole nonsense when you realized that you couldn't actually win a debate while sticking to the issues. Was it so hard for you to just admit that you're wrong? What does that say about you, Sean?
    Life's too short for anyone to even consider attempting to communicate with petty little individuals such as yourself.
    Yet, here you are, insisting on your ugly and pathetic need to have the last word. And again, with the name-calling. Is this really called for?
    I practise what I preach.
    No, you do not. Anyone here can see that. And you seem to have an awful lot to say about a "forgotten" individual.

Although I'm sure you'll give in to writing yet another crude response-- seriously, enough with the irrelevant name-calling and personal attacks. Just stop. Please.

Getting back to the actual point of the thread, the bottom line is that Zhang stole images from another source and has offered a deeply unsatisfactory explanation for his unethical behavior. I stand vindicated in my judgment.

Case closed.
    "It is my feeling that to make a good sword, one must make a weapon first, and art second. But if it is really "right", it is both things at once, and in equal measure." -- Howard Clark

"I cannot compensate for improper use of a sword. Nothing is bullet proof and idiots prove on a regular basis that nothing is idiot-proof -- they're just too creative." -- Keith Larman

Of course, your attitude has been nothing but exemplary. You began this whole nonsense when you realized that you couldn't actually win a debate while sticking to the issues. Was it so hard for you to just admit that you're wrong? What does that say about you, Sean? Yet, here you are, insisting on your ugly and pathetic need to have the last word. And again, with the name-calling. Is this really called for? No, you do not. Anyone here can see that. And you seem to have an awful lot to say about a "forgotten" individual.

Although I'm sure you'll give in to writing yet another crude response-- seriously, enough with the irrelevant name-calling and personal attacks. Just stop. Please.

Getting back to the actual point of the thread, the bottom line is that Zhang stole images from another source and has offered a deeply unsatisfactory explanation for his unethical behavior. I stand vindicated in my judgment.

Case closed.
    lol judgement, I'm quaking in my boots. Keep it flowing
    Last edited by Sean Stonebridge; 12-19-2006 at 04:31 PM.

Case closed.
    I understand this is how you feel Joo, and clearly others as well. I can respect that. But, in all honosty, I dont feel you are "vindicated in your judgment". You dont accept his response, but I do. I have been speaking with him for months and feel I have a better take on his true intentions. Like I posted before, he clearly did not put his name on those pictures, and for good reason. He didnt make them.
    As to the value / quality of his $2000 + plus products, again I have no clue. I still feel I will be getting what I paid for ( $450 ) and this is fine by me.
    I can see now how it is important that those pictures simply be removed. I will make this known to him and thats all I can do. Better for him to only post what he has made.

Skip

Angus Trim is offline Moderator
    Sword Fabricator
    SFI Honorary Educational Advisor
    Personal attacks, or even toned down to personal comments really aren't what SFI is about.......

Its quite alright to discuss the sword, but not to get personal with another poster whom you disagree with.....

Lets keep this thread on an even keel from now, it'd be a shame to lock it.....
    For Good or Ill......

What Comes Around Goes Around.....
    and

You Reap What You Sow...

------------

Another massive problem with the pricing of Zhi's "high end $2k + custom" swords relates to the massive discrepancy between Chinese and western economies. With the average wage for Chinese production workers presently being the equivalent to £23 / $46 per week, doesn't their price label strike anyone as being extremely high?

Sean...

I hadn't even considered this...

You are correct ...this $2399 seems now closer to 10,000 in relative terms

The koshirae certainly isn't where the money is going either...

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Gardner View Post
    I understand this is how you feel Joo, and clearly others as well. I can respect that. But, in all honosty, I dont feel you are "vindicated in your judgment". You dont accept his response, but I do. I have been speaking with him for months and feel I have a better take on his true intentions. Like I posted before, he clearly did not put his name on those pictures, and for good reason. He didnt make them.
    As to the value / quality of his $2000 + plus products, again I have no clue. I still feel I will be getting what I paid for ( $450 ) and this is fine by me.
    I can see now how it is important that those pictures simply be removed. I will make this known to him and thats all I can do. Better for him to only post what he has made.

Skip
    To be honest , I think he didn't put his name on those pictures because he didn't know how to easily photoshop it on.

The big red box around them with "copyright ZhiSword all rights reserverd " is the same thing .

Honestly...You've been communicating with him for months and think you have a take on his intentions?

Me too...his intent is to sell you something.

For $450 one can by a Wind and Thunder , a Ukigumo just sold in the classifieds for that...

At the end of the day , if you are satisfied with the business you've done with Zhang that's all that matters for you...

The use of the pictures is still misleading...and the explaination unsatisfactory

Quote Originally Posted by M.K. Ridgeway View Post
    At the end of the day , if you are satisfied with the business you've done with Zhang that's all that matters for you...

The use of the pictures is still misleading...and the explaination unsatisfactory
    I agree on both points. If Zhang can make a sword that looks like that, then why not post a photo on one that looks like that that he has made.

It would be like watching a commercial for a Yugo, and seeing a Porsche. Then when asking the sales man at the Yugo dealership about the images in the commercial the response is "We don't actually make cars like that, but we have talented engineers. We could make it."

As for the sword, I ordered a $500 custom Zhang. I also have a Kiyomaro Katana on order from oni-forge. I'll be able to see if it's worth it when it shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hagen View Post
    I agree on both points. If Zhang can make a sword that looks like that, then why not post a photo on one that looks like that that he has made.

It would be like watching a commercial for a Yugo, and seeing a Porsche. Then when asking the sales man at the Yugo dealership about the images in the commercial the response is "We don't actually make cars like that, but we have talented engineers. We could make it."

As for the sword, I ordered a $500 custom Zhang. I also have a Kiyomaro Katana on order from oni-forge. I'll be able to see if it's worth it when it shows up.

Please do keep us informed...

Just spoke with Mr.Zhang. Pictures will be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hagen View Post

Hi Jeff,

At least you didn't mention a Lada dealership.

I think most agree the way Zhi represented / formatted his pictures could be construed in a number of ways. The worst case would be if it were a deliberate attempt to mislead prospective customers, but I'll hang fire on passing judgement until the point is proven one way or another. Whether or not that happens is a different matter altogether, but I do hope the new sword you've ordered reaches or exceeds your original expectations.

The same goes for anyone else expecting deliveries via the same source.

-----------

Per the cost factor.

Unless a sword is manufactured in the west and by a western smith the cost should surely be equal to whatever value is placed upon such items in their country of origin. The only difference being the exchange rate for dollars, pounds sterling, euro's, etc., in place at that particular point in time alongside any relevant excise charges or duties (Payable at the receiving end).

This is an across the board observation and not something solely isolated to Zhi's products, but also Hanwei, Fred Chen, Kris Cutlery, et al. Just how much excessive profit is being made would be anyones guess, but it possibly serves as an illustration regarding just how far an enthusiast's desire can drive a manufacturer's profit margins.

Another consideration is just how little our own smith's are making in comparison.

Food for thought.

------------

Following close up inspection of the Zhi blade in my possession (Using an eye glass) and following a direct comparison with a Kris Cutlery blade (Bingo Mihara) - I'm presently polishing for a friend - I can't find any discernable differences between the two.

They share the same construction methods, style and constituent qualities regarding workmanship with the exception that the Zhi blade had been over zealously polished to a high luster / mirror finish. This mirror like polish is a bit of a bug bear, because it honestly does make Zhi's blades appear cheap, but once calmed down with an application of nugui they take on a different appearance altogether.
    Last edited by Sean Stonebridge; 12-19-2006 at 10:32 PM.

Following close up inspection of the Zhi blade in my possession (Using an eye glass) and following a direct comparison with a Kris Cutlery blade (Bingo Mihara) - I'm presently polishing for a friend - I can't find any discernable differences between the two.

They share the same construction methods, style and constituent qualities regarding workmanship with the exception that the Zhi blade had been over zealously polished to a high luster / mirror finish. This mirror like polish is a bit of a bug bear, because it honestly does make Zhi's blades appear cheap, but once calmed down with an application of nugui they take on a different appearance altogether.
    I'm unfamiliar with KC Bingo Mihara, is the similarity a good thing? What type of zhi-blade do you have? Regarding the polish, did you order your zhi-blade with a mirror finish or was it "12-stage traditionally hand polished" (or whatever)? Further, would your zhi-blade and those with similar construction look better with some treatment or a new polish? If so, is such a treatment hard and/or expensive to do / have done?

Timo, you were asking about the fittings on my sword. They were the standard non-upgraded variety and basically the same as what other Chinese swordmakers tend to offer on their lower end products. The tsuba was of the double ring Musashi design, cast alloy and painted black. It was a bit loose at first actually but this was fixed easily. Fuchi and kashira were of quite plain design, stamped sheet metal blued to an even black color, which did not look too bad. Menuki were cast (probably brass) and too shiny for my taste.

As for the rest of the koshirae, the brass habaki was of the usual Chinese one-piece type. The tsuka was considerably better made than Masahiro etc. The wood was carved cleanly, with a very good fit. Also the tsukamaki was done quite nicely, tightly and evenly, though I would have preferred cotton over synthetic wrap. Same was attached in panels as opposed to full wrap but again it was higher quality and better done than one usually sees on a Chinese katana. I would also add that the saya was carefully made, well fitting and not overly bulky.

Considering the price range - the sword cost only about 30% more than a Masahiro - I found the fittings functionally acceptable though of course aesthetically not comparable to custom work or nihonto.

cool it chaps

I feel a bit guilty here as it was me who 'outed ' the aoi art pic - I certainly
    never meant to cause all this ill will -

Sean and Joo - is it worth two people who always had mutual respect for each other falling out ?

Remember - Christmas 1914, even the germans and the english had a cease fire
    and a friendly game of footie )

personally I'll go with Les Yeichs hit and miss comments - there'll be some gems
    amongst Zhi's offerings with a healthy sprinkling of absolute poultices -

Sean - didnt we encounter the same stick when we talked up our Tony Long
    Diamyo kats many moons ago? - still the best feeling blade ive ever handled -
    light , fast , agile - like an extension of myself - all for £100 ???

I rewrapped the tsuka with leather , like a KC style wrap - non traditional
    and fitted a PC chen crane tsuba yesterday - and this feels like a sword ,

not a well dressed crowbar like my $650 PC pro upgrade feels like .

my point is Zhi may very well turn out a nicely balanced , well finished blade -
    what some of us are uneasy about is the 'secrecy ' around his work methods - the vagueness of the 12 step polishing process and the borrowed pics of nihonto .

no ones trying to denigrate or demeen anyone I hope - in fact I am genuinely
    pleased when someone finds a bargain or is happy with their sword as so often the opposite happens .

Its pointless trying to preach to the converted - as its equally pointless me trying to convince the nihon-to community I have a real , well balanced sword
    from china for under $200 .
    " Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Ephesians 6:11

Quote Originally Posted by michael wilson View Post
    I feel a bit guilty here as it was me who 'outed ' the aoi art pic - I certainly
    never meant to cause all this ill will -
    No need to feel guilty, Mick. I also outed the Huanuo pictures taken from www.bugu.co.uk

Skip says that those images and others have been removed. This is good news for everyone. Now we can move on.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast