Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Zhi. Zhang sword Opinions!

Quote Originally Posted by M.K. Ridgeway View Post
    Well, shipping I include in with the price of the sword,because if you didn't have to pay $80 shipping that's another $80 worth of steel, or polish or koshirae...am I making sense?
    Actually, no, since I'd have to pay the shipping on any other sword too.. unless I buy something that's available in Finland; namely PC, Masahiro and Cold Steel, but those are 130% more expensive than usual here anyway (PPK = $350). It's obviously different elsewhere..

Quote Originally Posted by Timo Qvintus View Post
    Actually, no, since I'd have to pay the shipping on any other sword too.. unless I buy something that's available in Finland; namely PC, Masahiro and Cold Steel, but those are 130% more expensive than usual here anyway (PPK = $350). It's obviously different elsewhere..
    I'm sure things may be different for you...but what I'm saying is basic...If I order a Zhisword ,I must pay shipping from china , 80-100 . If I order Oni Forge shipping is free. your situation is somewhat different,but in most peoples cases $100 shipping is an avoidable expense...

Hence it makes sense to include it as a part of product pricing.

Are Citadel katana not availiable to you there?

Quote Originally Posted by M.K. Ridgeway View Post
    Are Citadel katana not availiable to you there?
    Dunno, I've never heard of them in the first place..

This site pretty much has all that there is (to my knowledge, at least).. you might want to check out the video clips for cheap laughs, too..

http://teraasekeskus.com/tuotteet_ma...et=all&lan=eng

(BTW; 1€ = $1.32)

Quote Originally Posted by les yeich View Post
    sean, i gotta politely ask what criteria you were following if, after examining with an eyeglass, you criticise pretty harshly the zhi polish, and then state that you couldn't discern any difference between the two blades? i've owned several kc bingo blades, and they all had a polish far better than a "mirror polish". if the polishes alone significantly differ in quality, how could such a judgement really be made? we are talking japanese style blades here, where the quality of the polish can make or break a sword.

i'm not trying to stoke any fires or anything here, i just see this alot when two different brands are being compared. there's already a bias, so any really subjective comments are. . . well. . . pretty hard to swallow. i know when i like a new sword, it's better than all my others, and then after awhile i'm like "dang, how did that one get by me?".
    Hi Les,

Never a problem .

My criteria concern sugata, overall execution of technique and polish. The former two being comparatively similar between Zhi and KC, with the latter being a case of "can do much better" on the part of Zhi.

Certainly no bias on my part, because the Zhi and Bingo blades weren't and still aren't necessarily my cup of tea (Sword wise), but that's because I'm basically a Nihontophile and - as such - normally avoid production blades . Nothing to do with snobbishness on my part, but Nihonto are my chosen avenue of interest, but (Despite this) my family and friends still insist on buying production swords as gifts for birthdays and Christmas. I don't have too big a problem with this, because I enjoy swords anyway.

I honestly don't know the model designation of the Zhi blade, because it was a gift and (As such) my wife had replaced it's original hardware with goods of her making in order to "spice up it's appearance" and my daughter is presently staying with an old work colleague of mine in Australia.

I agree the Bingo has a better / more acceptable (Basic) polish, but had effectively reverted the Zhi blade from it's glazed mirror polish (Which IMHO badly affects it's appearance) to a more subtle (Pre hazuya) one. I carefully created a window into the blade in order to review any potential activity - Basically in order to judge whether or not a re-polish would be worthwhile and to check out the original, but dubiously presented hamon.

It was hoped the blade could be turned into a prospective display piece, because it was a gift from my eldest daughter.

An application of ferric chloride helped highlight a little of the pre-existing blade activity and I can readily differentiate the junction between the two grades of steel used for core and edge under the eye glass and an electronically lit microscope I have on loan from my daughter's university lab. There's a discernable difference in shade between the two metals used in the blade's construction alongside what could readily be mistaken for hada.

Blade quality (Zhi) is slightly better than one Bingo, slightly worse than the other I have access to, but a more realistic comparison would involve accessing a number of blades from both makers / suppliers.

I've yet to see a high grade blade from Zhi, but first impressions regarding the original polish - on the one I do have - are;

1. Can do much better on the basic polish.
    2. Please don't over use the buffing wheel.
    3. Why the mirror polish on the entire blade?
    4. Well crafted blade.
    5. Nicely balanced blade.
    6. Blade suited to light cutting and iaido.
    7. Crap fittings.
    8. Pretty good "starter" / "improver" blades.
    9. The low end blades appear to be "apprentice pieces".
    10. More care needed during tsuka fitting.
    11. Nicely shaped tsuka.

---------

Blade reviews realistically necessitate hands on experience in order to appreciate it's good points / flaws, with a whole lot less reliance on picture appeal - which tends to be more superficial than helpful. All a picture can ever do is provide an initial impression of a blade's aesthetic appeal, but - if the picture is poorly presented / taken - can also destroy any such appeal, or chance of prosprective custom. Precisely where many Nihonto enthusiasts go wrong.

Why? Because a polish can - more often - readily be re-done and a legitimate reason for why enthusiasts need to look more deeply into what a blade can become and how it's been made, in preference to how it initially appears.
    Careful thought, consideration & communication is well worth the effort and end result.

Dunno, I've never heard of them in the first place..

This site pretty much has all that there is (to my knowledge, at least).. you might want to check out the video clips for cheap laughs, too..

http://teraasekeskus.com/tuotteet_ma...et=all&lan=eng

(BTW; 1€ = $1.32)
    Citadel is a good brand...highly popular in Europe. I have one,I'm not really all that fond of ,but thats just me. They are nice Katana.

Check here

http://www.aikidoka.fr/boutique/inde...ath=99_115_134

Also look here

http://www.shadowofleaves.com/katana.htm

For anyone curious at all , here is a nice ,long video about the manufacture of Citadel Katana...comprehensive, another reason Zhang secrecy is disturbing.

Legit Manufacturers are often all to happy to show you how they are forging the products...

http://video.mpegnation.com/a0017865...131719250.html

Just wanted to recognize the fact that Mr. Zhang has taken down the disputed pictures....

Merry Christmas all.

Question question--

i've been looking over their website looking for a sword i'd like, (i'm trying to come to a decision, can't choose cheness, zhi, or generation 2?) (irrelevent) anyway
    the "12 step polish" is $45, and i don't find that very expensive. maybe compared to their $120 swords, but still, i'll throw it in if it's that much better.

question-- how much better -is- the hand-polish vs. the machine polish? steel isn't much like wood in the way each piece is different-- you can make steel so it's all identical, i know in woodwork and such this is what makes hand-made things better, (as a guitar entheusiast,) so yeah, how much better is the hand polish? is it more durable? sharper? more effective? better tempering?

thanks!

Dear Zach,
    regarding your wishes I can give you some informations.
    Machine sharpend by Zhang is not sharp enough for cutting.
    So "handpolishing" is better.
    The Hamon on the cheaper swords is done by hand, not real, regarding the price.
    You can get real Hamon on claytempered threelayers steel or folded up to...
    depends on the price.
    This you should ask MR Zhang himself.
    I have 3 swords by him and saw several.
    Thats what i know.
    Regards,
    Eck

FIVE?!

Holy crap, you must've really liked your first one.. or did you already get several the first time around? Personally I would've bought fewer and of higher quality (folded one with hand made koshirae) but that's just me.. Remember to post a ton of pics when you get those!!
    Hi Timo, was a long time off. I ordered five, not for me, ha ha, for friends and students and not everybody has much money. This days the first two will come.
    Eck
    Happy new year

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Eck Hank View Post
    Dear Zach,
    regarding your wishes I can give you some informations.
    Machine sharpend by Zhang is not sharp enough for cutting.
    So "handpolishing" is better.
    The Hamon on the cheaper swords is done by hand, not real, regarding the price.
    You can get real Hamon on claytempered threelayers steel or folded up to...
    depends on the price.
    This you should ask MR Zhang himself.
    I have 3 swords by him and saw several.
    Thats what i know.
    Regards,
    Eck
    Hi Eck, please post pics from the new ones if you can, maybe with quick reviews..?

Have you tried to re-polish/etch those low-end blades to confirm the hamon is only cosmetic? I think it was Sean who did this to his blade and it revealed an actual hamon underneath. It seems the low-end polish is unfortunately done with a buffing wheel which causes the blade to appear cheap and the hamon appears to be wirebrushed.

I've heard from my eldest daughter (Yesterday) that the blade I have was one of their higher end stone polished blades (I'd assumed it was a low end item) and that she'd done a clean up on the blade - prior to wrapping it as a gift - to subdue an apparently gawdy hada. . She'd apparently buffed the blade using my Dremel lol.

I'm presently working on a full re-polish to see if I can elevate the hada and better judge the blade.
    Careful thought, consideration & communication is well worth the effort and end result.

Hi Eck, please post pics from the new ones if you can, maybe with quick reviews..?

Have you tried to re-polish/etch those low-end blades to confirm the hamon is only cosmetic? I think it was Sean who did this to his blade and it revealed an actual hamon underneath. It seems the low-end polish is unfortunately done with a buffing wheel which causes the blade to appear cheap and the hamon appears to be wirebrushed.
    Hi Timo,
    I don't think there is a real hamon under the wirebrushed egde.
    I polished some scratches very slowly and the brushed hamon dissapeares. And i stopped polishing. And, Mr Zhang told me it is brushed, and I understand that for 150 dollars it must be like that. neverthanless it works very good. the folded one has a real hamon. i polished a scratch and it is nice again.
    I will post soon some new pictures.
    regards, Eck

That's funny, three months ago Zhang told me they never wirebrush blades..

That's funny, three months ago Zhang told me they never wirebrush blades..
    I must correct myself, MR Zhang didn't say it is wirebrushed, he said, the Hamon is not natural, it is made for optical reasons. because of the price.
    I said wirebrushed because I guessed so. It might be done by hand and stone or.....
    Last edited by Eck Hank; 01-07-2007 at 10:31 AM.

I've recently bought an Iaito from Zhi, and am looking forward to checking it out. I don't know a great deal about the various fittings and components in a sword or how to judge their quality, but I'll be more than happy to diss-assemble it and chuck up a few pics.

On another note, what do you think of Jidai? How do they compare up against other sword manufacturers? Have you guys heard of them?

Website can be found at http://www.jidai.jp

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456