Thread: Toledo Salamanca

Toledo Salamanca

Hi all,

I must say it's nice to finally see a quality/realistic version of one of the swords that started these forums going ... swordforum.com, formerly highlander sword shoppers guide and myarmoury.com. I'm talking about the Toledo Salamanca from the first Highlander film from the 1980s.

Here is a credible example ...

http://www.historicalfencing.org/Mac...osalamanca.htm

Nice ....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. This was being discussed in the Movie subforum, but yes its a really nice lookin replica of the sword........ and its nice to see its functional

I wonder about the name. Toledo and Salamanca are two separate cities in Spain. I think my next sword will be named Baltimore-Washington...

You guys remember Jim Hrisoulas of Salamander Armoury? I don't recall all the facts clearly but I think he was asked to make certain steel blades for the HL film. Salamanca was supposedly because of "Salamander".

I don't know if Jim made the hilt or not. At the time, Toledo of Spain made all kinds of stuff no longer available today, so if Jim didn't make it, then the rapier hilt may have been a Toledo of Spain hilt fitted with Jim's blade(s).

Good to see you, Peter! Happy New Year!
    Adrian
    Maestro of the Bolognese School (Spaghetti sauce, not fencing!)

Click HERE for the SFI comic strip "Bloodgroove"!

Quote Originally Posted by Ty N. View Post
    Patrick Barta makes a sword that is somewhat similar in style --

http://www.templ.net/pics-weapons/206-sword/b06av.jpg
    Too sweet for words. I'd go for that any day over the Toledo Salamanca.
    Adrian
    Maestro of the Bolognese School (Spaghetti sauce, not fencing!)

Click HERE for the SFI comic strip "Bloodgroove"!

Happy New Year to you too!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Ko View Post
    You guys remember Jim Hrisoulas of Salamander Armoury? I don't recall all the facts clearly but I think he was asked to make certain steel blades for the HL film. Salamanca was supposedly because of "Salamander".

I don't know if Jim made the hilt or not. At the time, Toledo of Spain made all kinds of stuff no longer available today, so if Jim didn't make it, then the rapier hilt may have been a Toledo of Spain hilt fitted with Jim's blade(s).

Good to see you, Peter! Happy New Year!
    Happy New Year to you too Adrian!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Ko View Post
    Too sweet for words. I'd go for that any day over the Toledo Salamanca.

yeh but its not a toledo salamanca worth about a millon bucks!lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ty N. View Post
    Patrick Barta makes a sword that is somewhat similar in style --

http://www.templ.net/pics-weapons/206-sword/b06av.jpg
    HOLY CRAP! If this sword is a repro of a historical piece, than that must've been the inspiration for the Toledo Salamanca. Or maybe the TS inspired this sword.
    Go ahead, mock me! But it wasnt he who was laughing at me... it was GOD!!! *Dies Irae!*

Hiyas!

Yes, the Toledo Salamanca was a funny bit. The blade was made by Dr. Jim Hrisoulas, Salamander Armoury, aka Atar and the furniture was made by a company in Toledo, Spain. The name is a combination of the company in Toledo and Salamander Armoury.

How do I know? Jim is a good friend of mine and he'd mentioned the story decades ago.

And the fact that the city of Salamanca is not far from the city of Toledo is probably a huge coincidence...

http://www.red2000.com/spain/salaman/

How do I know this? Because Connor MacLeod told me himself... 300 years ago.

Last edited by Ty N.; 09-26-2007 at 07:42 PM.

Yeah, it's just a coincidence, Ty.

On a separate note, I like your comment. lol

I just finished my review of the Salamanca, more pics coming but wanted to go ahead and post it. Lemme know what you guys think!

http://www.geocities.com/hitogiri2000/index.htm
    "He was an angel once, he didn't mean to fall. He just hung out with the wrong people..."

Good Omens

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I just finished my review of the Salamanca, more pics coming but wanted to go ahead and post it. Lemme know what you guys think!

http://www.geocities.com/hitogiri2000/index.htm
    Thanks for sharing and taking the time to do a page. I've got a suggestion, I don't want it to sound too critical but it would improve the read. When you describe the blade as carbon steel, it still leaves the question of what type of steel it is. All steel has carbon in it. Steel with more than .3% is considered high carbon. Be specific, i'm sure Paul would share the information. Is it EN5 maybe? Did I miss other specs as well? I'll have to go back, I want to read the interview.

Paul is in the back of my mind to do up a spadroon. it may be another year or so before I'm ready but he is at the head of the list for that project.

Cheers

Hotspur; it looks like a lot of cutlery work for the money

Thanks for the constructive criitcism, yea I forgot to mention it was EN45 spring steel. LOL I was trying to get everything else in there I forgot to change that part.
    "He was an angel once, he didn't mean to fall. He just hung out with the wrong people..."

Good Omens