Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: List of Manufacturers...

I don't think I noticed this thread before... kinda wish I had.

Anyways, I just discovered this link http://www.ltspecpro.com. It seems to be Cold Steels Special Projects page and has their stuff for (sometimes) WAY cheaper than their regular website! Cold Steel is expensive enough so I though this page was pretty cool.

I'm sot sure if you'd want to replace the other link to CS, add this as an option or just plain throw it out.

Just thought I'd put it out there!

Enjoy!

E.
    Remember What Mom Used To Say... "Always Stick Pins In The Eyes Of Your Zombie!"

Sticky ?

Moderators, is this thread good enough to be a sticky ?
    My vote is yes...
    Please forgive my english.

I also think it is worth making a sticky, although maybe we should divide it on categories somehow. Custom or production/semi custom and stuff like that...

I would add:
    http://www.liveblade.com
    http://www.tozandoshop.com
    http://zanshinironworks.com/
    http://www.roninswords.com/
    Last edited by Bogdan M.; 07-12-2007 at 05:47 PM.
    Against ignorance, gods themselves struggle in vain.

There's been a lot of questions on entry-level katana lately, so I thought I'd give this thread a big ol' *BUMP*
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

stickied by request.
    Euthenist, Exorcist, Utilitarianist

links page

I didn't check to see if this was on this thread. Sorry if it is.

http://www.tenmeikan.be/links.html

Jason

This is a thread on Manufacturers, not retailers..
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

I haven't noticed this thread earlier but now that I see it I think it's a bit too messy. I think that the creator of this thread (Mr. Blackwell) or mods could sort the links in replys to a complete list in the first post. I would be more than happy to help with the list just PM me. I personally wouldn't add antiques to this list since they have their own forums and cannot be treated as same as newly produced swords. Prices could be added only in production swords, as I don't think it's appropriate regarding custom smiths.

The list could have at least these of the categories that Blackwell suggested. Some may wan't to change my Europe centric view to US. With custom smiths it would be nice to add their country when outside the first category.

Japanese:
    Custom smiths in two categories - in Japan, outside Japan, High level production, low level production, iaitos

Western:
    Custom smiths in two categories - in Europe, outside Europe, High level production, low level production, blunts

Chinese:
    Custom smiths in two categories - in China, outside China, High level production, low level production

Other: (Still swords) This would be quite vast area. This would need information about the style and geographic areas swords come from.
    Custom smiths, High level production, low level production
    Jussi Ekholm

A very good idea, it will be a little difficult, as many guys fall into more categories, but still, as is it's difficult to use these links...
    Against ignorance, gods themselves struggle in vain.

Is this better?

Quote Originally Posted by Timo Qvintus View Post
    This is a thread on Manufacturers, not retailers..
    http://www.tenmeikan.be/links_craftsmen.html

Are you happy now Timo?
    Last edited by Jason M D.; 08-31-2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: try to make other forumite(s) happy

Quote Originally Posted by Jussi Ekholm View Post
    I haven't noticed this thread earlier but now that I see it I think it's a bit too messy. I think that the creator of this thread (Mr. Blackwell) or mods could sort the links in replys to a complete list in the first post. I would be more than happy to help with the list just PM me. I personally wouldn't add antiques to this list since they have their own forums and cannot be treated as same as newly produced swords. Prices could be added only in production swords, as I don't think it's appropriate regarding custom smiths.

The list could have at least these of the categories that Blackwell suggested. Some may wan't to change my Europe centric view to US. With custom smiths it would be nice to add their country when outside the first category.

Japanese:
    Custom smiths in two categories - in Japan, outside Japan, High level production, low level production, iaitos

Western:
    Custom smiths in two categories - in Europe, outside Europe, High level production, low level production, blunts

Chinese:
    Custom smiths in two categories - in China, outside China, High level production, low level production

Other: (Still swords) This would be quite vast area. This would need information about the style and geographic areas swords come from.
    Custom smiths, High level production, low level production
    Wow, cool to see this finally got stickied. I Pm'd Mods for months and never got a response

Jussi,

The problem I ran into was you can't edit the inital post after so long so I wasn't able to re-compile the list and add it to the first post. If I had the ability to edit the first post and keep updating and changing it then I wouldn't have let this list die off. I also compiled lists of custom smiths as well but gave up because of the in-ability to edit and update.

I asked some mods for help but never got a reply on getting edit rights to my initial post.

Blackwell
    "You will make my strength your own. You will see my life through your eyes, as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father. And the father, the son. "

Quote Originally Posted by B.Blackwell View Post
    Wow, cool to see this finally got stickied. I Pm'd Mods for months and never got a response

Jussi,

The problem I ran into was you can't edit the inital post after so long so I wasn't able to re-compile the list and add it to the first post. If I had the ability to edit the first post and keep updating and changing it then I wouldn't have let this list die off. I also compiled lists of custom smiths as well but gave up because of the in-ability to edit and update.

I asked some mods for help but never got a reply on getting edit rights to my initial post.

Blackwell
    They say it's not who you know. Maybe it is who they know. I had sent an alert the other day and asked it be moved to the FAQ section. Tinker thought I meant a thread in General about European Sword sites. The diffrence there is that it was someone compiling on a page, hence one bookmark to many links. By the time I had forwarded him a link to this thread, it had been made sticky. IMO, it would still do better in FAQ. I guess it is being discussed. Someone stickied it when I used the report post function and asked.

One could re-compile the list in a new post, or publish it on a page (which I think I mentioned once upon a time).

Cheers

Hotspur; glad to see you surface for air once in awhile, at least we know you're alive

www.zheng-wu.com

Chinese made
    custom katana and chinese swords
    price range:1100-3400 and up

Another manufacturer

When a man says he approves of something in principle, it means he hasn't the slightest intention of putting it into practice.

Otto Von Bismark

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children, and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." - Ronald Wilson Reagan (1911-2004)

Does anyone know who makes the Bushido "make" of swords?

CasIberia is the Hanwei site. Is that a joke "allovertheinternet.com"?

joe

Pavel Bolf's swords look awesome! I've always had a thing for Tensho era swords. You rarely see copies being made of them. Unfortunately, a little too much for my price range. I redid my iaito with a Tensho type tsuka. I have an actual Nihonto that was made about that time, with a Tensho type tsuka, although it doesn't flare out at the kashira and fuchi as much as I'd like. Interestingly enough, the mei is Suinshi Masahide, about 400 years too late! It worked out well for me, because a false signature greatly devalues it as an "art object," so I was able to pick up a nice blade at a great price for practice.
    I have one of Zhang's swords. The blade is pretty nice, but the tsukamaki was pretty loose. A little laquer fixed that up nicely. I've been eyeing a Masahiro with a three quarter bo-hi and horimono. Does anybody know anything about the quality of these swords? I figure is worse comes to worse, I'll dull the edge and use it as an iaito.

Ryan sword

Just got a new sword from this company:www.ryansword.com .
    Any one else heard of them? Nice san-mai lamination piece, 1050 with 1060 folded and wrapped around. Only complaint I have is that the tsuka is MASSIVE!
    Looking forward to trying it as a cutter soon in the dojo cutting day.
    I'll try to post pics soon.

another website

Hey all,

Paul from the Sword Buyers Guide just launched a website that deals with this, trying to cover alot of information on each manufacturer including product lines, prices, country of manufacture and steels used, and also common issues that people have had with the company/brand. It is not comprehensive but still under construction, and might be something to check out. Here:

http://www.sword-manufacturers-guide.com/index.html

Here's something for light cutting and kata, and a little cheaper for buyers from Europe (yes, all of Europe, not just the EU, I asked)...

http://www.stenudd.com/aikibatto/shinken.htm

Mr. Stefan Stenudd is an aikidoka and an iaidoka, you can read about it on this site, and he is endorsing this line of light cutters and steel sharp kata swords... they are, as said there, made in China, but should be well enough made to withstand the stress of kata and light cutting...

For more information, contact Mr. Stefan Stenudd directly by the on-line form on the bottom of the page...

Isn't the cheapest option, but should be reasonably safe... About appearance, I couldn't say, haven't bought one, but anyway, for me, in a katana made in China, safety would come before looks... That's why my only katana to date is a PC PK with an epoxied tsuka...

Hope this helps, especially to some European JSA practitioners...

Last edited by Hrvoje Samija; 12-27-2007 at 02:20 AM.

Citadel forge
    Cambodian-made swords
    $600-up
    http://www.citadel.com.kh/

note: Citadel does not sell the swords themselves, but the website has a list of sellers

Andrew Jordan,
    Dutch master smith
    http://www.jordanknives.com/
    Prize: 600(knife) and way up for swords.
    More Sweat In Training Less Blood In Combat
    My Site

Bowie, Maryland but consider my self a citizen of the world.

Fyi

Hi Guys,

Just to bring you up to date. The Citadel website is JUUsstt a bit out of date and has been planned for update for sometime. But the biggest issue is the list provided on where to buy. Museum Replicas is no longer selling Citadel blades of any kind (simple do a search of their site). Blue Ridge Knives sells only knives produced by Citadel with one exception being a mass produced single line of katana that were special ordered in quantity (the cookie cutter concept) and those are now being curtailed because they were being offered on Ebay by some very unscrupulous sellers. By Agreement with Dominique the owner of Citadel Shadow of Leaves is still the only authorized distributor of Citadel here in the US. I do not even sell or offer the standard models such as the Yoshi, Super Yoshi, etc.. This is again by agreement so that I do not have to compete with the established European sellers. What I sell are custom models that are sent to me direct from the factory as available. If you purchase a Citadel from anyone else in the US you are at risk as they have no agreement for service and support. Just thought I'd let you know.

Best Regards,

Mike

PS/

The old French website is www.depdep.com and this is new new website

http://www.katanas-citadel.com/index.html
    Last edited by mscrampton; 01-13-2008 at 08:43 AM. Reason: More info
    'Shisei"
    Sincerity must begin with attitude, then it will flow naturally into your words and deeds.

Sensei Miura Hanshi

I came across this website. It listed samurai sword manufacturer in China. I could not believe that there are so many manufacturers in China just for the samurai sword market. It must be doing big business.
    www.alibaba.com/showroom/Samurai_Sword/2.html

25. why ?

it is strange but i don`t like this new blades. They
    don`t preserv the geometry and the original lines and curvatures, i feel the non japanese shcool in this blades.

Make a blade for you not for sale !

The new swordmakers, obviosly show the hamon, honest speaking is a nice think but not so hard to do it.

If you love nihonto you will see the differences from miles.

Please don`t tell who sale the blades, google.com tell us

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast