Thread: Would love some assistance on this sword.

Would love some assistance on this sword.

Hi friends,

I am normally to be found soaking up info in the nihonto section but ive been offered a sword which I would love to have ID'd by those more knowledgable than myself.

The owner says it has French revolutionary 'motifs' on the blade. It has an inscription to which he say was a presentation and he makes a Polish connection.

I took some rather hasty pics with my mobile to assist in the ID.

Many thanks in advance of your superior knowledge.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Very interesting find and indeed with link to Poland.

I'm not familiar with military sabres but this one is most probably from the end of the 18th c. I suppose French, looks like hussars one, but I believe other guys on this Forum will help you further. Decoration on the blade, thought blured on your picture, is characteristical too for this period.

At first glance I thought it might be know genral Zdrojewski who was also Great Templar Master in France in 1970 but John make me realize I mistake a name, and it wasn't him. Well, I'm seacrhing further.

regards!
    Last edited by Michal Dziewulski; 01-09-2007 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michal Dziewulski View Post
    The most striking is the name on the back of the handle "A. Dawid Zdrojewski".
    Hi Michal,

I'm not knowledgable on Polish or French swords, but the name looks like "Daniel", not "Dawid" to me. If it were Dawid, the final "d" would look like that in "Zdrojewski", whereas it actually looks more like an "e" followed by an "l".

John
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".

Dear John!
    You're absolutely right! It was my mistake already edited my post - shame on me but I was so excited I made a simple mistake, I found Zdrojewski, the Genral and seeing Dawid I forgot here we've got Daniel and these are of course two different names, and there is no need to be familiar with Polish to found it . I'm sorry for the mess, but I will search further.

Regards!

PS. D'oh! and it was so good story!

So now I'm sure I was mistaken a little because there is no other general Zdrojewski in 1960.

Antoni Jozef Zdrojewski (1900-1989) - yes, I know the initials on the sabre are different, but it doesn't matter while he was called commandant DANIEL what surely replace his real name. So the A is for Antoni and instead of second real name, officers used his alias name from the time of his conspiracy.

This person is very interesting and few basic informations about him can be found on Polish wikipedia, but because most of you doesn't know this languge I will remind only few facts.

Zdrojewski was a fighting soldier during Polish-Russian war in 1919-1921 then he fought in September 1939 in Poland and later he escaped with Polish soldiers to France where he was very active in resistance as one of the commanders. He was very strongly devoted to France even after he moved to Spain and Great Britain after the Hitler's army had a better times in France. But he returned in 1944 to get general rank from the France resistance gov. After the war he was very known as self-appointed Polish marschall what was deffinietely eccentricity, and in 1970 he became Great Master of Templars (or neo-Templars as some people call it) in France.

It is his sabre! Congratulation

PS. I'm sorry for the mess I'll try to delete posts above and leave this one as most certain.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Many thanks Michael for all your hard work in identifying the General to whom the sword was presented.

I havent actually acquired the sabre yet, only been offered it for a few hundred pounds.

The man selling it said it was a revolutionary period sword that probably saw action in the Napoleonic wars in the hands of the Polish light cavalry or such and that on the anniversary of Waterloo as dated on the lozenge it was presented to the said General by his fellow officers either as it had a family connection. But after your comments it would seem that the sword may never have been in the hands of the Polish Light Cavalry at waterloo but was just a sword of the period with a later presentation inscription.

I have not idea how valuable the item is with the provenance already highlighted and whether I should buy it. It value might be less in it being a period blade but in a period blade owned by a relatively modern hero?

I shall now continue studying this general etc... also can you shed and light on the " comte de daldis" ?

Grateful thanks on your insight

John
    Last edited by John Tee; 01-09-2007 at 02:43 PM.

Dear Michael,

Just found this also, I will copy and paste. Not sure if it throws light or darkness on the ID.

"The Polish Government in Exile was also covertly regrouping remnants of army units (what would have been the 3rd and 4th Polish Infantry Divisions) for direct military contact to harry and destabilize the German occupation of France. SOE benefited through the action and dedication of General Juliusz Kleeberg to muster one of the largest secret armies in France. The unit became known as the Polish Organization for Fighting for Independence (POWN) and later commanded by Colonel Andrzej Zdrojewski. POWN’s prime role was to transfer military personnel to and from Britain and to provide guides and couriers for the conduit of military intelligence."

Could this be one and the same as our earlier Antoni Zdrojewski?

sorry, edited out
    Last edited by Adam Lubas; 01-15-2007 at 02:04 AM.