Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Chen Bamboo Snake katana?

Paul Chen Bamboo Snake katana?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Paul-Chen-LTD-Ba...QQcmdZViewItem

I also found this. Anyone have any pictures of it yet? I guess this will be similar to the Momo no saru katana, but with greet ito and black rayskin.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

Yeah sorry I didn't see your thread when you made it but I just found this thing a few days ago. I was on kultofathena and saw this "hanwei snake katana" and nearly crapped my pants. They didn't have pics so I rushed to CAS home and saw it being advertised on the right hand side. They say it's a blue ridge knives exclusive, so... it's not likely to find it any old place obviously. But ebay and kultofathena are the two places I've found it. (koa just doesnt have the green scabbard, only black )

Boy... a green saya. 140 made. (160 with black) And only 50 waks.

bleh... I must fight the urge. After all, they say it's got black same, but I prefer the white as shown in the pic here...

http://www.casiberia.com/pdfs/BRK.pdf

Sure is one cool tsuba !
    Michael Mann is the greatest director to ever walk the Earth.

Here are more pictures of it..as well as it is a few hundred dollars cheaper. http://www.kultofathena.com/product~...Green+Saya.htm
    ?

Ha, I'll be bying this for a friend as a gift....Just not sure if he'd like the black or green saya.
    Does one even truly have a choice ?
    One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...
    And thus defy the tyrannous stars.

I'm on it like a trollop on a rich man. Link=> http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=76901

#11 / 140 is on its way to me now...green saya...and purchased from KOA this past Friday. I got the last one in stock but he was expecting more in another week or so. If'n y'all can hold your horses until this weekend, I'd be happy to take some pics of mine and post 'em up as soon as it arrives.

FYI, I do not believe they will actually be available with black rayskin despite what early advertising copy suggested. Every picture I've seen besides the original prototype depicts creamy white samegawa. Also, it is constructed of forge-folded K120C according to Hanwei.
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

Holy crap! One day and bingo! When were those beautiful pics added?

They actually had em in stock? I thought they were still preorders everywhere. Oh man... really tempting.

Ooh, Please do !

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry G. View Post
    If'n y'all can hold your horses until this weekend, I'd be happy to take some pics of mine and post 'em up as soon as it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by J.J.Haavisto View Post
    Ha, I'll be bying this for a friend as a gift....Just not sure if he'd like the black or green saya.
    I'll promise to be your very best friend if you buy me the matching green-saya wakizashi!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

Jerry, the tsuba is mine, but you know that, right
    You can have another PC tsuba instead - what do you want ?
    IT'S PER - NOT PAUL
    " Every man dies, but not every man truly lives "
    - Braveheart -

Haha you wish, Jerry.G.

In my humble opinion this daisho is only second to the liondog (shi-shi) one...(from hanwei that is.)
    Gona be real nice to "inspect" it before I pass it on.
    I'll promise to be your very best friend if you buy me the matching green-saya wakizashi!
    Last edited by J.J.Haavisto; 02-27-2007 at 03:54 PM.

Well, the PC1658 arrived today and it is a beauty- green saya with white same, as ordered. It feels much different than my Bushido daito in the hand..."quicker", almost. The nagasa appears longer by at least an inch yet it's slimmer and more tapered between the mune and ha as you approach the kissaki. I can't wait to get home and compare them side-by-side after everyone else is in bed. There are reasonable limits to what I can get away with at work even when I close my office door.

---Benjamin Franklin

Pics would be most appreciated if it's not too much trouble. I'm tryin to decide real hard to get this (seems like such a good deal, and I shouldnt pass up, but ) or keep saving for an Albion blade.

Congrats btw, sounds very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by David Arthur View Post
    Pics would be most appreciated if it's not too much trouble. I'm tryin to decide real hard to get this (seems like such a good deal, and I shouldnt pass up, but ) or keep saving for an Albion blade.

Congrats btw, sounds very nice.
    I'll take some pics this w/e and have 'em up ASAP. In the interim, here is a chart comparing and contrasting it to my PC Bushido daito.

In a nutshell, the main difference between the two is that the Green Bamboo Snake's blade is 3/8" longer but with 3mm less blade width plus identical thickness and taper. Also, the tsuka on the Snake has an hourglass taper variance of 5mm whereas the Bushido has an untapered tsuka. Overall quality of mount is comparable but the Bushido has slightly more blingy relief sculptured koshirae with silver/gold accents. Both tsukas utilize panelled same(though my Snake's had emperor nodes) and quality cotton ito over hishigami.

I was unable, unfortunately, to weigh them because my digital scale(static suspended type for tournament bass fishing) had used up its 9-volt battery and I didn't have an extra on hand. I'll take care of that and weigh them both this w/e while taking pictures.

In summary, the Bushido is a very masculine sword and the Bamboo Snake is a very feminine one, and I mean this in the most complimentary way. Had I to choose between them, I have no idea which way I'd go. The Bushido is beefier and more peacockish while the Snake is slimmer and more elegant. I have no doubt the Bushido would cut better and similarly, no doubt the Snake would be better for kata and iai. The Bushido handles powerfully and purposefully while the Snake handles effortlessly and gracefully.

Anyhow, I am very pleased with my purchase and as an FYI, KOA just got more of the green ones like mine in stock.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

---Benjamin Franklin

and as an FYI, KOA just got more of the green ones like mine in stock.

I noticed Shhhhhhh ! (don't let the people with money find out )

snake katana

real pic someone please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Peter Davis

I am certainly no ar-teest...

...but here are some compare / contrast pics of the Bushido & Tree Snake:

---Benjamin Franklin

And here are the rest...

...of the Bushido / Tree Tnake pics:

---Benjamin Franklin

How crappy that with all the necessary cropping and resizing, you can no longer really make out the hada in the pictures.

In the 5th one, it looks like the Tree Snake's tip is missing...

...actually, it is stuck a little bit into the fabric of the couch. Oooops!

---Benjamin Franklin

It might just be the angle of the pic, but in the pic with the saya openings, you can really tell a lot of difference between the size and shape of the blades. Very neat, Thanks Jerry!
    Mike J Arledge
    Not hear? when noise was everywhere! it tolled
    Increasing like a bell. Names in my ears
    Of all the lost adventurers my peers,--
    How such a one was strong, and such was bold,
    And such was fortunate, yet each of old
    Lost, lost! one moment knelled the woe of years.

Robert Browning
    --Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    http://www.facebook.com/CreyrGlasLightworks

Blog Entries
    HI, not into snakes but I really dig that green ito and black same trick. Looks like a cool sword. I'ld like to see an Odin made up like that
    "Ah, the old disco room.......just as I left it!" Cassanova Frankenstein

"It's all about having a good time!" Ricky Martin

"We are number one....all others are number two or lower!" The Sphinx

"Let me put my poems in you!" Chazz Micheal Micheals

www.odinblades.com

Thanks for the pics Jerry!

I gotta ask though, is it the camera making the wrap seem that way, or is it really more of a teal, blue/green color rather than a darker, deeper green ?

I really like the way this looks but I know how cameras usually distort the colors a bit. http://www.casiberia.com/pdfs/BRK.pdf

It is what I'd call a bright green rather than a teal, but it was photographed in my basement under horrible fluorescent lighting. To me, teal is like the CS Dragonfly series, as pictured below.

There are definitely two shades of green in the saya and ito(my wife thought they clashed), but I was personally tired of piano black sayas and figured the ito would darken with handling.

---Benjamin Franklin

snake katana

mine should be here wednesday
    the hada in one of the pics looks nice
    Peter Davis

For giggles, I hung my digital fish scale from my shower curtain rod and then weighed each of my blades suspended from its hook w/o saya. Here were the results:

Cold Steel O-Katana w/bohi(36")......................3lb 7oz
    Cheness Shura w/bohi(30").............................2lb 7oz
    PC Green Bamboo Snake no bohi(28.25)............2lb 5oz
    Cheness Kaze no bohi(28").............................2lb 8oz
    PC Bushido no bohi(27.5")..............................2lb 10oz
    Cheness Shura Kokatana w/bohi(21'")...............2lb even
    PC Bushido Wak no bohi(19")...........................1lb 9oz
    Cold Steel O-Tanto w/bohi(13").......................1lb 5oz

What surprised me the most was the weight of the Shura 30"er which is supposed to be ~3lb. Perhaps I need to get my scale recallibrated but all weights were taken one right after the other in the exact same static fashion. I guess I should figure that out before the bass tournaments begin, though.

---Benjamin Franklin

hey Jerry....

It don't matter Bubba, all of them will cut up a bass just fine
    Onward, Ever Onward......Skip Allen

"Honor has not to be won; it must only not be Lost"........Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 - 1860)

"I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death !!".......
    Patrick Henry, to the Virginia Convention, March 23, 1775

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast