Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Chen Bamboo Snake katana?

snake stats

they look similiar to last legend yashima
    mm at yakote and the rest
    handle is 1 inch bigger
    question for you guys is the swedish powdered steel hanwei uses a lot better than the
    10xx steels or is it just hype?
    Peter Davis

Jacob Dir emailed me a link to post here while his account activates.

The link is legit, and has some awesome photos on it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7216416@N07/
    Mike J Arledge
    Not hear? when noise was everywhere! it tolled
    Increasing like a bell. Names in my ears
    Of all the lost adventurers my peers,--
    How such a one was strong, and such was bold,
    And such was fortunate, yet each of old
    Lost, lost! one moment knelled the woe of years.

Robert Browning
    --Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    http://www.facebook.com/CreyrGlasLightworks

*Deep sigh*.
    Somehow this Katana keeps tempting me.

A very unique, special look and a price that's just on the border of "still affordable" for me. Breathing, spirit, discipline...

I know how you feel ^

I made the mistake of looking at those pics when I should have pulled myself away. I am, so far, doing a good job now keeping my money for my precious Albion desire. Musnt spend it.

Phew, I think I'm over it. Still... I will be kicking myself later for never getting this when I had the chance.
    Michael Mann is the greatest director to ever walk the Earth.

And that is almost exactly how I feel right now.
    I'll probably regret not buying this later, but once my Gur-sword arrives ( it should be in my hands next week ) and I have some new nice blade to play with, I'll probably make the next months without purchasing one of these. ( The 1506 I ordered from Gus will help a lot, too, I guess. ).

But if... by chance... a bamboo snake kat might still be on the market by autumn... never say never.

Overall, I would consider the Bamboo Snake's quality comparable to if not slightly below that of the PC Bushido...primarily because the Bushido has just a little bit more detail, e.g. sakura inlays on the saya and gold/silver highlights on the koshirae. The Bushido is noticeably heavier, though, and the tsuka is untapered. Choosing between the two, I'd say the Bushido would be better for more physically powerful individuals or those seeking a cutter while the Snake would be better for smaller folks or those needing a quick, lively blade.

Market prices have varied widely, with shipped daito prices ranging from $590 to over $900. The shoto has been overpriced, in my opinion, by design. I would consider a good price for it to be ~$425 yet due to intentional(IMHO) economic scarcity, those wishing to pair their daito will be forced to pay a premium on the wak. Pre-order prices have ranged from $470 to $600 thanks to their very limited production numbers. Most likely, I will not get one.

BTW, the black saya version will have black same under green ito. Had I been able to stand the prospect of another piano-black saya, I probably would have gone with that version instead.
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

Great...

once I get over this snake katana, another snake katana must tempt me also. I will remain strong... must.... stop... checking...this... thread.

green saya kat

I got number 29
    green saya
    wak coming next week
    Peter Davis

I just dont know about that green saya,in some pics it looks kermit green,in others like a dull olive green, either way I think a darker bottle green would have been nicer.I like the look of the rest of the sword tho.Hanwei are certainly bringing out some nice product of late.
    http://www.ausblade.com/ Home of the Production Sword Data base

green saya

Its like bamboo green, is what I think they were trying to make it
    when it grows in spring
    Peter Davis

Agreed. I even downloaded some woodcuts of bamboo leaves in case I get ambitious enough to do a gold leaf inlay of them on the saya like is done with the sakura leaves on my Bushido kat & wak.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

ah!, thanks, so hard to tell true colours on computers
    http://www.ausblade.com/ Home of the Production Sword Data base

I've already started sanding down to refinish the saya in forest green. I had the same idea about about gold leaf bamboo or maybe a lighter green relief of something like this from the bottom to a quarter or half up:

http://www.openc.k12.or.us/start/ima...ual/bamboo.gif

Then I found some green cobra skin on the web and thought about applying that and lacquering over it. Tha might be TOO much snake though.

The photos I posted on Flickr that shows the sword in the saya are a pretty accurate representation of the saya color v. the ito, for those wondering.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...1977141&size=o
    Last edited by jake dirr; 03-12-2007 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jake dirr View Post
    I've already started sanding down to refinish the saya in forest green. I had the same idea about about gold leaf bamboo or maybe a lighter green relief of something like this from the bottom to a quarter or half up:

http://www.openc.k12.or.us/start/ima...ual/bamboo.gif

Then I found some green cobra skin on the web and thought about applying that and lacquering over it. Tha might be TOO much snake though.

The photos I posted on Flickr that shows the sword in the saya are a pretty accurate representation of the saya color v. the ito, for those wondering.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...1977141&size=o
    Cool...great minds think alike!

Here are the images I was thinking of adding to the saya in gold leaf before adding some clear lacquer. Also, a nice piece of white same to reinforce the mouth of the saya would look great, IMHO.

BTW, I am a weak, weak man- wak #21 is on its way...same green saya.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

---Benjamin Franklin

The second image would look neat going down the saya like the Bushido. Would you keep the circle?

After reading the post about a saya same wrap, I thought, "me too." Has anyone ever fashioned a kojiri out of it?

The second image would look neat going down the saya like the Bushido. Would you keep the circle?

After reading the post about a saya same wrap, I thought, "me too." Has anyone ever fashioned a kojiri out of it?
    If I was to stagger them down the saya like the Bushido, I would probably use image #3. Image #2 I saw as larger, with the circle and one on either side of the saya just below the tied sageo.

I would probably just use enough same(lacquered black then sanded so white tips show through) to reinforce the kojiri and add friction for grip.

I see it in my mind so clearly but making it a reality kind of frightens me. I'd hate to Eff the sayas up!

---Benjamin Franklin

first coats of forest green went on last night. another coat today, then the leaf and lacquer.

I looked up some bamboo pictures and can see how they were mimicking the color, but the saya already looks nicer in a darker shade matching the wrap.

Smooth move on buying the wak. I'd do it too if I was a weak man with means. Only 50 made? Did it arrive?
    Last edited by jake dirr; 03-14-2007 at 10:08 AM.

bamboo snake set complete

#19 on the green saya wak
    Peter Davis

The wak is on the UPS truck out for delivery to my home today. Needless to say, I am nervous with anticipation and wish I wasn't at work.

I can't wait to see how the darker shade saya looks. I like the bright green, myself, but as it is my favorite color, I like almost any green. I am reluctant to change it anyhow and want to see if I can locate replacement ito first and see what shade of green it is. What's on there now so far as a shade may not prove easy to replace.

I talked with the guy at CRKT who ordered them from Hanwei and he said the green color saya was a mistake. They switched to black sayas after receiving the initial shipment and completed the commissioned purchase. BTW, the black same ain't happenin' unless you spray it yourself as the black saya version ended up with white same afterall.

---Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry G. View Post
    BTW, the black same ain't happenin' unless you spray it yourself as the black saya version ended up with white same afterall.

Yeah I saw the note on KoA. Still wanna see how it looks, however.

"I talked with the guy at CRKT who ordered them from Hanwei and he said the green color saya was a mistake. They switched to black sayas after receiving the initial shipment and completed the commissioned purchase. BTW, the black same ain't happenin' unless you spray it yourself as the black saya version ended up with white same afterall."

Ha, I bought the green one because of how they looked on the Cas Iberia PDF ad, (which I think was color corrected and the photos on KoA look darkened as well), thinking that I was getting the better deal because they made less green sayas. Kinda sucks to know I was getting the bum-batch saya...

Did they pull the ad from the Cas Iberia website?

Oh well, the blade is kosher and that's why they make spray paint.
    Last edited by jake dirr; 03-14-2007 at 03:01 PM.

"I talked with the guy at CRKT who ordered them from Hanwei and he said the green color saya was a mistake. They switched to black sayas after receiving the initial shipment and completed the commissioned purchase. BTW, the black same ain't happenin' unless you spray it yourself as the black saya version ended up with white same afterall."

Ha, I bought the green one because of how they looked on the Cas Iberia PDF ad, (which I think was color corrected and the photos on KoA look darkened as well), thinking that I was getting the better deal because they made less green sayas. Kinda sucks to know I was getting the bum-batch saya...

Did they pull the ad from the Cas Iberia website?

Oh well, the blade is kosher and that's why they make spray paint.
    Let me choose my words more carefully- it was not so much a mistake(as in someone goofed up) so much as when the first batch arrived, they feared the color was too bright or vibrant to facilitate rapid sale. I guess it was kinda like buying 3 buckets of paint to redo your living room / dining room based on a swatch and then deciding after the seeing the first bucket applied that it doesn't look as nice in practice as you'd predicted...so you return the other two buckets for a darker shade to finish. Personally, I love the bright green but then again, I'm somewhat biased.

I opened up the wak yesterday after work, cleaned off the cosmoline / shipping grease and gave it a nice choji/uchiko spa treatment. The things I noticed comparing the Bushido kat & GBS kat are mostly the same comparing the Bushido wak & GBS wak:

Blade:
    * Both waks have very subtle hada when compared with their larger kat versions
    * Unlike the kats, the Bushido is the longer of the two by 3mm
    * Like the kats, the GBS is thinner by 2mm at the habaki and 1mm at the yokote
    * Like the kats, both have the same thickness(gauge) and sori

Tsuka:
    * Like the kats, the GBS wak tsuka is tapered, though much less dramatically, and the Bushido is not
    * Unlike the kats, the Bushido tsuka is over an inch shorter than the GBS tsuka and considerably smaller in girth
    * Ito material is of similar high quality cotton with tight weave
    * Like the kats, the GBS seems to have same' with somewhat larger nodes than the Bushido

Handling:
    * The same handling characteristics I noticed when comparing the Bushido and GBS kats are present with the waks- the Bushido is beefier / more tip heavy and the GBS quicker / more balanced towards the tsuba
    * The Bushido wak's tsuka assembly is noticeably smaller and better-suited for small hands while the GBS's feels more substantial to me and less likely to twist in the hand on more resisted cuts
    * I have not weighed them yet on my digital scale, but the GBS is noticeably lighter while static in addition to feeling lighter due to balance

I will take comparative pictures of the Bushido and GBS waks this weekend like I did with the kats. I hope to do a better job than I did before. I will also similarly take static hanging weights of each on my digital scale less saya. All in all, I am very happy with my purchase and think that short of a Kaze wak when those finally become available, I am probably done purchasing production blades. I will explore what I have to the best of my ability for a healthy term and then, God willing, delve into the wonderful world of customs.

---Benjamin Franklin

thanks jerry

I don't seem to be able to get the picture thing down. These are probably worse than those of the kats. The come out fine on the digital camera and on my computer, but when I have to resize them to get them below the 100KB size limit, they turn out like crap.

Oh...and 1lb 6oz for the Bushido Wak and 1lb 4oz for the GBS Wak w/o sayas.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Jerry G.; 03-17-2007 at 04:46 PM.

---Benjamin Franklin

A good buddy of mine made this page. Has some great pictures ! (except that last one)

http://www.geocities.com/jason_gulisux/bamboo.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast