Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paul Chen Bamboo Snake katana?

wow

the blades there are just truly beautiful...wish i had some

I own one now. Oddly enough... it's Jerry G's...

Bought the bare blade and saya from Joo-Hwan Lee and mounted it myself.

I couldn't STAND the green saya. Just my taste. About 5 shades darker might have worked for me. So I sanded it all off, did it in natural brown, and gave it a heavy clear coat. It's a good looking sword, and I was pleased with how light and well balanced the blade is.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

pau chen blades

now, what is there most durable cutter? i would like one, but i do not want a mass produced piece of crap

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Justice View Post
    I own one now. Oddly enough... it's Jerry G's...

Bought the bare blade and saya from Joo-Hwan Lee and mounted it myself.

I couldn't STAND the green saya. Just my taste. About 5 shades darker might have worked for me. So I sanded it all off, did it in natural brown, and gave it a heavy clear coat. It's a good looking sword, and I was pleased with how light and well balanced the blade is.
    AJ, you have NO idea how close I came to contacting you and trying to buy it back once the coinage became available again. They are really a fantastic bargain to begin with even when you don't get as great a deal on one as you did. I was even considering buying a black-sayaed one and trading it with you for the green saya version. J-H was kind enough to make me a very generous trade/sale for the L6 whereby I kept all the GBS fittings for the MAS's remount...and I could not pass it up. I still want to find another green-sayaed GBS kat to pair with my matching wak but I've been distracted from that goal by a very attractive custom I'll be picking up in a couple weeks. Until then, I'll just have to console myself with the Butouken BBS. I can't really call it a GBS now that my green cobra skin saya application got shot down like a pudgy pheasant on opening day.

Anyhow, I can't wait to see how you mount her. Any hints about themes or styles or fittings? One of these days, I'll hopefully be the first one to thrust the money in your face when you set one of your beauties up on the auctioneer's block. I'm frankly getting a little tired of just being a bridesmaid and I really appreciate your work.
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

How does the GBS blade compare to Bugei Dragonfly? I heard that the Bugei Dragonfly is light and nimble too. Do they have similar dimensions?

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin P. View Post
    How does the GBS blade compare to Bugei Dragonfly? I heard that the Bugei Dragonfly is light and nimble too. Do they have similar dimensions?

It's not at all like the Dragonfly. The Dragonfly is light, but that's because it's a fairly thin blade with absolutely no niku at all.

The GBS is slightly thicker, has a little niku, and I think less distal tapering. The GBS is a lighter blade.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

I ordered a Bamboo Snake and I have a question. The last inch or so of of the blade is completely unpolished (just along the top). Is this as it should be?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich D. View Post
    I ordered a Bamboo Snake and I have a question. The last inch or so of of the blade is completely unpolished (just along the top). Is this as it should be?
    In a word, yes. It's a tactile heads-up for your hand during noto that you are real close to the pointy part. Think of it like a rumble strip- take heed or you'll bleed.
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

Thanks, it makes perfect sense now, but since I couldn't find a pic or a mention of it I was a bit uncertain.

Bamboo snake redo

Hey folks,

After almost a year, I'm finally nearly complete on my bamboo snake remake. I've attached some photos in the same flickr account I posted on after I received one of the first katanas and posted some photos so people could see the ugly pea grea saya. I'd appreciate your feedback. I'll post more info on methods if anyone's curious.

Click "all sizes" along the top of the individual photos for a bigger picture:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7216416@N07/

Cheers to Mr. Justice for the inspiration and Helen for the rattan wrap.
    Last edited by jake dirr; 10-21-2007 at 06:30 PM.

Nice job! What did you do to the fittings? They look differently colored.
    Michael Mann is the greatest director to ever walk the Earth.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123