Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I:33 the dvd

I:33 the dvd

at last we've done it, the first dvd of the Boars' Tooth Fightschool's sword and buckler system is now available. Aproximately and hour in length- it only covers the techniques from 1st Ward through to Half Shield in but great detail, dealing with correct stance,distance, use of thrust and counter thrust, all binds and knocks you could want all the way up to and including the sword change.
    if you want more details talk to me here or mail me at boarstooth@hotmail.com

many thanks,Dave
    LONDON LONGSWORD ACADEMY
    For practice is better than art,
    hit him
    your exercise does well without the art,
    keep hitting,
    but the art is not much good without the exercise
    do not miss.

author of the DVDs:
    Obsesseo
    Lutegerus Sword and buckler(I.33) "Intention".
    & Lutegerus Sword and buckler(I.33)Part II "Timing and Distance".

Having seen some of this at the recent SWASH event at the Royal Armouries in Leeds I can highly recommend it. For people like me who get head pains when trying to understand how to put I.33 into action this is a great resource, and well worth the small price.

Matt

thanks Matt, as you know we re shot a couple of times, and I'm very glad we waited until the interpretation had reached this stage before releasing it, we as a school are really happy with it. just checked my hotmail thankyou will be in contact with you all personally with details as soon as i finish work, thanks, Dave
    LONDON LONGSWORD ACADEMY
    hit him
    keep hitting,
    do not miss.

author of the DVDs:
    Obsesseo

How can one purchase a copy of this DVD?

aha

you can mail me at boarstooth@hotmail.com we'll invoice you on paypal, the dvd's are £20 + airmail postage(£3 to eu,£5 to US most other places).
    please bear in mind these are eu zone dvds so you may need a multi region player to read them,
    any other questions please ask,
    yours Dave
    LONDON LONGSWORD ACADEMY
    hit him
    keep hitting,
    do not miss.

author of the DVDs:
    Obsesseo

Paypal

Hi David,

Your paypal address is?
    Dojocho
    Suio Ryu of Iai Kenpo(tm).
    www.suioryusandiego.org

Schola San Marco(tm)
    Italian Sword in the Fiore Tradition
    www.scholasanmarco.com

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
    Swinging swords since 1972

send a mail to the boarstooth@hotmail.com as shown in the previous posts,we'll forward you the paypal details and get your address, this will mean we can better keep track of your order, and I won't get confused checking in eight places at once hope that's ok, Dave
    Last edited by David Rawlings; 01-23-2007 at 05:30 PM. Reason: incorrect detail
    LONDON LONGSWORD ACADEMY
    hit him
    keep hitting,
    do not miss.

author of the DVDs:
    Obsesseo

For those who are undecided about the DVD I'd say go for it. Dave's I.33 is frankly superb and Dave himself is one of the best martial artists I have ever worked with.
    James
    Modern Bartitsu

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
    - H. L. Mencken

And so say all of us...
    "'oh bother' said the Borg - we seem to have assimilated Pooh"

Glamorgan School of Arms

thanks you lot, sure ye've got the right bloke? but thank you again.

The dvd can now be bought by paypal to boarstooth@hotmail.com
    It's £20 + p&p(£3-£5 for air mail, depending on where you are)

I really hope you enjoy it

Dave
    LONDON LONGSWORD ACADEMY
    hit him
    keep hitting,
    do not miss.

author of the DVDs:
    Obsesseo

Hi David,

Congratulations on the DVD, which sounds very useful - any chance of posting a snippet here, so we can have a gander?

Honourably,

Bob
    Bob Brooks
    Marshal of the School,
    Hotspur School of Defence

"There are four D's which I never refuse: A Dinner, a Duel, a Drink and a fair Dame!"
    - Sir Richard Francis Burton (1821-1890)

"I worship the Prince of Peace ... not the Prince of Pre-emptive War.
    - Former US President Jimmy Carter

"May I ask one more question?" said one of my friends. "I have often heard it said that if you don't know much about fencing the best thing to do is, as soon as you come on guard, to make a sudden rush at the other man before he has time to collect himself."
    "Well," I replied, "if you wish to make sure of being incurably spitted, that is the most infallible way to set about it."

- Baron Cesar de Bazancourt, Secrets of the Sword, The Tenth Evening XII.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Brooks View Post
    Hi David,

Congratulations on the DVD, which sounds very useful - any chance of posting a snippet here, so we can have a gander?

Honourably,

Bob
    Hi Bob, most likely not, due to me being awful with technology, I may put up clips if I can find someone with the know how
    I'll try and get people who have seen it to post comments.
    On the other hand I'm not sure a stand alone clip would make as much sense as the thing as a whole(there is a hell of a lot of detailed explanation in there).
    Still I'll ponder it
    Thanks, Dave
    LONDON LONGSWORD ACADEMY
    hit him
    keep hitting,
    do not miss.

author of the DVDs:
    Obsesseo

Thanks to those of you who've ordered these, please let me know if you have any questions regarding training the techniques shown.
    Thanks, Dave
    LONDON LONGSWORD ACADEMY
    hit him
    keep hitting,
    do not miss.

author of the DVDs:
    Obsesseo

I've been working through the DVD this week and I'm loving it. As Dave mentioned above it covers 1st ward to 1/2 shield in excellent detail.

The material itself is excellent and the first few chapters cover the basics, stances, binds and the like. This is in great detail with an innovative side picture showing the technique from a number of angles. This means you get a real understanding of the technique and view it from multiple angles at once.

After a summary the DVD moves on to deflective thrusts, again with the multiple angles and a very clear, concise explanation of how and why these are important before tying them into what was covered previously.

Binds are next and these are covered over the next few chapters, giving detailed instruction and again, linking this into the previous material, and then onto the sword change.

I'm very, very impressed with this DVD, the material itself is very good and Dave gives very clear and easy to follow instruction. Dave's interpretation is very, very robust. I've seen a number of different instructors give their interpretations and Dave's is one of the best and it is clear this has been pressure tested to a high degree.

There are, I feel, 3 main strengths to this DVD that sets it above the run of the mill:
    • The multiple views, showing the technique from several angles
    • The way each new technique builds on the previous lesson making for a very structured DVD
    • The summary sections - these really serve to bring everything together and round off the learning.

All in all I am very impressed with this DVD. It is a cut above the normal Martial Arts stuff, having above average production and excellent material. If you have even a passing interest in I.33 I would thoroughly recommend it.
    James
    Modern Bartitsu

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
    - H. L. Mencken

Please do yourselves a favor and buy this dvd.

Hi Chris,

I notice that you are from the US - did you have any trouble playing the DVD? Did you need to do anything special to play it on a North American DVD player?

I am interested, but don't want to buy a DVD I cannot see!

thanks

Murph
    David B. Murphy
    Free Scholar
    Academy of European Medieval Martial Arts
    Guelph Chapter
    Canada

hope this helps

posted to me by scott brown:

Also, I was able to play it on my Laptop as well as my dvd player so you may want to mention that on SFI for the fencesitters

he is a resident of the usa

does that help?
    LONDON LONGSWORD ACADEMY
    hit him
    keep hitting,
    do not miss.

author of the DVDs:
    Obsesseo

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Murphy View Post
    Hi Chris,

I notice that you are from the US - did you have any trouble playing the DVD? Did you need to do anything special to play it on a North American DVD player?

I am interested, but don't want to buy a DVD I cannot see!

thanks

Murph
    If the DVD is region 0 encoded (I imagine it is) then it should play anywhere in the World. The only problem is that I suspect it will be in PAL format not the US NTSC format. Most DVD players cope with both, so if yours does there should not be a problem. My PAL DVD player has no problem as all with NTSC stuff anyway.

Neil.

1:33 Dvd

Hi David,

I bought your DVD at Swash. Its great, very helpful and well put together. Are you planning to do any more.

Cheers David

Academie Glorianna

Hi Dave, really glad you're enjoying it
    yes the plan is to produce more if we can afford it, obviously we have more of I.33 to cover, then I hope to do a simple system for learning the dagger, with the master strike mindset, and longsword, most likely starting with five strikes and the breaking of the guards.
    that's what I hope anyway time will tell.
    Please if you have any questions, do ask, thanks, Dave
    LONDON LONGSWORD ACADEMY
    hit him
    keep hitting,
    do not miss.

author of the DVDs:
    Obsesseo

Thumbs up Nice work Dave

We have had a couple of weeks now to play with the Boar's Tooth I.33 DVD and wanted to say WOW! What a wonderful addition to the community! This is certainly an impressive accomplishment. Without disrespect to the many other fine people working with the I.33 manuscript, Dave's interpretation has to be the most exciting and practical compilation to date. Clearly the gang at Boar's Tooth take their sword and buckler very seriously and must have a system of checks and balances to be envied. So far, any time we have had a point of contention with their version we go back to the video to find that Dave and Pete have beat us to the punch. Somewhere they have included either in the dialogue or the demonstration precisely what we might have argued. As this DVD is presented in unedited ( read:unspliced)chapters it is truly an amazing piece of work to have put in so much detail and address so many questions without breaking stride.

The production of the DVD is interesting in itself. While it may not be as "produced" as some modern audiences might like, for us as academic martial artists it is a blessed relief. The layout of the material and the structuring of the chapters make for easy referencing. Dave and Co. don't spend twenty minutes discussing how to hold the sword or how to put one foot in front of the other, etc. ( neither did the Priest!) they simply introduce themselves and away they go. The idea seems to be "provide as much information as possible before the tape runs out". Somehow they manage to do it without coming across as rushed or hurried. In fact, quite the opposite. Dave's very relaxed, casual and continuous dialogue draws the viewer into the material rather politely. An interesting observation is that they have opted to leave in a number of " mistakes". In a couple of places Dave's assistant Peter Samworth inadvertently delivers an attack or response other than that which Dave was speaking of or looking for.(Sorry to Pete for mentioning this, I do it about 35 times a night to my instructor only without your level of skill) To the uninitiated this may come across as shoddy production work but in fact is a testament to the caliber of martial artist that Dave must be to not only be able to recognize a "mistake" whilst talking, demonstrating, and filming, but also not to inappropriately respond to the "mistake". [I was chastened by my instructor for not recognizing this was left in on purpose] In several places within the manuscript the Priest instructs the pupil by demonstrating "mistakes". I am not saying the correlation is intended, I'm just saying....

This brings up another point. More and more often I have heard grumblings and mutterings protesting the supposed lack of martial talent/knowledge from this person or that person or even of the community in general. (There just aren't enough Guy Windsor's to go around!) This is not the case here. From the very first moment that Dave takes his sword and buckler in hand and casually moves through the first seven guards the viewer is forced to sit up and take notice. Immediately, even the beginner can recognize that this guy knows how to move a sword.....very, very proficiently. The bar has been raised for all you grumblers, rather high, Again, this is without disrespect those other fine men and women involved in these arts.

Although a few other techniques are alluded to, one of the more frustrating things about this DVD is near the end when I began to realize that this only covers the first ward! Also, perhaps on the next one Dave and Co. might be able to get better mics on the set.

While at this time we have not been completely sold on all points...yet, we are certainly excited to have such a textured, well thought out interpretation at our disposal. I have been informed that some of the points raised in this interpretation might be a tad controversial. I personally don't care about controversy, I care about quality, and with this DVD I got it! For me this WMA movement is an adventure as well as a venture!

For anyone involved in I.33 studies this DVD is a must. In fact, not having it is just silly. And YES, it works here in the U.S.

P.S. I don't know Dave Rawlings nor any of the Boar's Tooth guys (yet).

thankyou, we'll try and get posher mikes for the next one , very very glad you are finding t usefull, thanks again,
    Dave
    LONDON LONGSWORD ACADEMY
    hit him
    keep hitting,
    do not miss.

author of the DVDs:
    Obsesseo

Knowing Dave, I have to say you have picked out his two most distinguishing features

Quote Originally Posted by Chris King View Post
    it is truly an amazing piece of work to have put in so much detail and address so many questions without breaking stride. ... The idea seems to be "provide as much information as possible before the tape runs out". ...Dave's very relaxed, casual and continuous dialogue draws the viewer into the material rather politely.
    Yes, we can't get him to shut up either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris King View Post
    Immediately, even the beginner can recognize that this guy knows how to move a sword.....very, very proficiently.
    Dave, out of all the people I've met in WMA is the one I would least like to face with sharps. I know a number of WMAists a lot more experianced than myself feel the same way.
    If you ever have the oportunity to train with him, do so, he really is one of the very best. He is also a terribly nice chap and madder than a box of frogs.
    Last edited by Nigel Plum; 02-26-2007 at 04:13 PM.
    The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
    Freeman and slave, patrician and plebeian, lord and serf, guild-master and journeyman, in a word, oppressor and oppressed, stood in constant opposition to one another, carried on an uninterrupted, now hidden, now open fight, a fight that each time ended, either in a revolutionary re-constitution of society at large, or in the common ruin of the contending classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Plum View Post
    Knowing Dave, I have to say you have picked out his two most distinguishing features

Yes, we can't get him to shut up either.

Dave, out of all the people I've met in WMA the one I would least like to face with sharps. I know a number of WMAists a lot more experianced than myself feel the same way.
    If you ever have the oportunity to train with him, do so, he really is one of the very best. He is also a terribly nice chap and madder than a box of frogs.
    I will have to second that. I had a bit of training with him once and watched a class as well and I was very impressed with his skill.

About the DVD, it seems to be region 2 because it cannot play on my DVD player and my computer tells me it's region 2 (US is region 1). Those of you with "region free" DVD players will be ok.

I warn those who wish to play it on a computer. Your computer will lock into that region after a few times that you play the DVD. In fact your computer will lock into the region of the last DVD played (it may be the 3rd or in my case 4th DVD played).

Having spent the weekend with this DVD I want to add my voice in support of Dave and the Boars’ Tooth excellent work.

The DVD is simply divided into a set of sensible chapters, with a minimum of introduction before the action starts, and has a running time of about 60 minutes. However, there are many hours to be spent in assimilating the information here, with a wealth well illustrated swordsmanship in which Mr Rawlings skill and enthusiasm for the subject shines through. This is not an overly slick production (I needed the zoom on my DVD player once or twice to make the action ‘fill the screen’ but this is the only real, minor, niggle I have), but from the point of view of its subject matter it is a highly professional one. Dave’s presentation is clear and methodical and not an opportunity to make a teaching point is missed.

Dave King’s review above is really spot on and there is not a lot I can add to it. I would be more than happy if my ability with I.33 matched that shown here in every respect (sadly I have a lot of work to reach that point yet!), as all the interpretations made in the DVD are backed by rock solid justification, and clear examples. Yes, I think there may be areas on which people will disagree, but one point that struck me watching the DVD is how close the ‘body posture’ displayed by Dave and Pete match those of the I.33 manuscripts illustration – suddenly a lot of the work done by the original artist seemed to ‘click’ for me – not something that other pictorial interpretations (or even live work where I suspect you can get too close to the action to see this) have done for me before and some of the ‘awkward’ images in I.33 seem to be coming to life for me for the first time now!

This is exactly how knowledge should be shared – if you have any interest at all in I.33 you should get this DVD. I have e-mailed to Dave to think him for his work here, and I know that he is willing to listen to any feedback he can get – so I am already anticipating just how good his next effort will be!

Neil.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast