Thread: Sword ID Help Needed

Question Sword ID Help Needed

I've moved this post to the new forum in hope of finding any information at all on this sword. At this point all that I've found out is that this sword is from West Sumba and could possibly be for ceremonial use. I've looked in Stones and every other reference that I can lay my hands on and searched the inter-net to no avail. If any of the members here can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated. Here are the dimensions. Thanks to all for any help or information that can be offered.

Blade length is 19-1/8"
    Blade at widest point 1-7/16"
    Blade at hilt 15/16"
    Blade thickness at hilt 1/4"
    Hilt length 5-1/16"
    Scabbard length 25-1/16"

Robert
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Robert M. Coleman; 02-09-2007 at 12:39 AM.
    No brains, no headaches.

Hi Robert. It is a Klewang. A tipical weapon of most part of Indonesia with diferent shapes from isle to isle. Next time I will give you some other tip.
    Sandro

Hi Sandro,
    I thank you for your interest in this sword and for the information . What I'm trying to find out is if this sword has a more specific name such as the Kabeala of East Sumba. Also, would you care to hazard a guess as to the age of this item? I have pictures but no information of one just like this that is in Leiden but they are copyrighted so I cannot post them. The photo below was pointed out to me by Albert Van Zonneveld and while being similar to the one I have there are still quite a few differences and there was little to no information with it to me help identify mine. Again my thanks for your help.

Robert
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    No brains, no headaches.