Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Qames and qaddares made by Ostad Haj Hossein Farajian

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    10,682

    Qames and qaddares made by Ostad Haj Hossein Farajian

    Dear friends,

    My new article is just released on Persian Mirror.

    http://www.persianmirror.com/Article...SubCategory=94

    Kind regards

    Manouchehr

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Magenta, Northern Italy
    Posts
    4,210
    A nice work Manoucheher.
    You quote "a strenghtened tip". I wonder if it is a lance/halberd what I see starting
    between the fullers and arriving to the point, enstrenghtening it with the
    lance blade. If I'm right, has such a lance any specific meaning ?
    Please forgive my english.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlo Giuseppe Tacchini View Post
    A nice work Manoucheher.
    You quote "a strenghtened tip". I wonder if it is a lance/halberd what I see starting
    between the fullers and arriving to the point, enstrenghtening it with the
    lance blade. If I'm right, has such a lance any specific meaning ?
    Hi Carlo,

    Thanks a lot. Actually I wanted to say that the tip of the blade is thickened. As you know some people call it armor-piercing tip. I do not like this expression. This is not a lance, but was forged to be a qame. I hope I understood you correctly.

    Kind regards

    Manouchehr

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Magenta, Northern Italy
    Posts
    4,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Manouchehr M. View Post
    Hi Carlo,

    Thanks a lot. Actually I wanted to say that the tip of the blade is thickened. As you know some people call it armor-piercing tip. I do not like this expression. This is not a lance, but was forged to be a qame. I hope I understood you correctly.

    Kind regards

    Manouchehr
    Hi manouchehr. I meant that I "see" a lance design into the blade of the Quame. The shaft is made by the space between the fullers, and the blade
    is were the point of the Quame is thickened. May be I've too much
    imagination....
    Please forgive my english.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlo Giuseppe Tacchini View Post
    Hi manouchehr. I meant that I "see" a lance design into the blade of the Quame. The shaft is made by the space between the fullers, and the blade
    is were the point of the Quame is thickened. May be I've too much
    imagination....
    I see what you mean . You are absolutely correct my friend.

    Kind regards

    manocuhehr

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    10,682
    Carlo,

    From the two which one do you prefer? And why?

    Kind regards

    Manouchehr

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Magenta, Northern Italy
    Posts
    4,210
    Seems I'm able to see only the two sides of the same blade at the link
    provided.
    Or I need some sleep...
    Please forgive my english.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlo Giuseppe Tacchini View Post
    Seems I'm able to see only the two sides of the same blade at the link
    provided.
    Or I need some sleep...

    Carlo

    They are similar. Two different pieces, the first qame has three pics and the second as well.

    Kind regards

    Manouchehr

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Magenta, Northern Italy
    Posts
    4,210
    Needed only some more cliks then the ones I made.

    Amended. Ok, changed my mind. the fist one wins for the point and the
    fuller's quality. But remember that I'm just starting to watch at these types of
    weapons...
    Please forgive my english.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlo Giuseppe Tacchini View Post
    Needed only some more cliks then the ones I made.

    Amended. Ok, changed my mind. the fist one wins for the point and the
    fuller's quality. But remember that I'm just starting to watch at these types of
    weapons...

    Carlo,

    Indeed, the first one is also my favorite qame. Really awesome.

    Kind regards

    Manouchehr

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Greater Manchester,United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,203
    I agree. That first one is just magnificent! The best shape on a qama that I have ever seen, anywhere.

    I cant wait to get out to Iran, one day Inshallah. Would like to have a good chat with Haji Hussain ( and Son )
    "If metal can be polished to a mirror-like finish,
    What polishing might the Mirror of the Heart require"

    Rumi

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by MumtazB View Post
    I agree. That first one is just magnificent! The best shape on a qama that I have ever seen, anywhere.

    I cant wait to get out to Iran, one day Inshallah. Would like to have a good chat with Haji Hussain ( and Son )
    Surely Mumtaz jan,

    You would really enjoy talking to them. Alas pounding steel has beoming extremyl difficult for Haj Hossein due to his age. He still does chiselling, filigree and etching.

    KIn dregards

    Manouchehr

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by MumtazB View Post
    I agree. That first one is just magnificent! The best shape on a qama that I have ever seen, anywhere.
    Surely Mumtaz,
    I also love that qame. It had one of the most solid feeling to it. Simply marvellous.

    Kind regards

    Manouchehr

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Elliot Lake
    Posts
    593
    My goodness
    wonderful blades
    i have to look again ... excellent work and craftsmanship..

    I never get tired seeing qame ... there wonderful blades

    thank you
    Greg

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg T. Obach View Post
    My goodness
    wonderful blades
    i have to look again ... excellent work and craftsmanship..

    I never get tired seeing qame ... there wonderful blades

    thank you
    Greg

    Dear Greg

    Thank you very much for your kind words. I will write more articles about contemporary Iranian smiths and will post them later.

    Kind regards

    Manouchehr

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Midwest.
    Posts
    181
    Beautiful work they do, that close up is one of those pics that makes me lose my breath for a moment. The lines of the edges and the fullers are so straight, the the etching is very well done.

    Nice article, good job and thanks for making me have to get a napkin after drooling so much.
    Luceo Non Uro.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Whalen View Post
    Beautiful work they do, that close up is one of those pics that makes me lose my breath for a moment. The lines of the edges and the fullers are so straight, the the etching is very well done.

    Nice article, good job and thanks for making me have to get a napkin after drooling so much.
    Dear Martin,

    Thank you very much for your kind words. You are right the calligraphy and the handwriting of Ostad Farajian is really marvellous. The second part will be published in Persian Mirror next week. I will keep you informed.

    Kind regards

    Manouchehr

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Montrose, CO
    Posts
    2,276
    That was a very good, informative article, thank you. The fullers in the first close up are just amazing, they are so crisp. I would really love to watch this master smith at work, especially doing the fine ornamentation work...
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
    Leonardo da Vinci

    "A little science estranges men from God, but much science leads them back to Him."
    Louis Pasteur

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by jim frank View Post
    That was a very good, informative article, thank you. The fullers in the first close up are just amazing, they are so crisp. I would really love to watch this master smith at work, especially doing the fine ornamentation work...

    Thank you very much Jim for your kind words. I was honored to watch him work. That was a great experience. I would like to say that the close-up picture of the second qame does not do it justice as it is also very nice.

    Kind regards

    Manouchehr

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Manouchehr M. View Post
    Thank you very much Jim for your kind words. I was honored to watch him work. That was a great experience. I would like to say that the close-up picture of the second qame does not do it justice as it is also very nice.

    Kind regards

    Manouchehr

    Dear friends,

    Part II of my article is online now:

    http://www.persianmirror.com/Article...SubCategory=94

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    10,682
    As well as part III. I was informed by Persian Mirror that the refences did not fit due to space reasons.
    http://www.persianmirror.com/Article...SubCategory=94


    Kind regards

    Manocuhehr

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •