Thread: Sword ID request

Sword ID request

My apologies if I am stepping into forbidden waters, as I have been absent far too long.

May I ask your opinions on a sword that appears at an online auction:

Everything about this sword is unfamiliar to me (checkerboard wooden hilt, rounded tip, blade). But at the same time seems familiar.

Can anyone guess where or when it might have come from? Any other thoughts?

Regards...
    -Namir

Nabir,

Welcome to MEIA. Is it a running auction? If yes you need to wait until the auction is over please.

Regartds

Manouchehr

Quote Originally Posted by Namir Gharaibeh View Post
    My apologies if I am stepping into forbidden waters, as I have been absent far too long.

May I ask your opinions on a sword that appears at an online auction:

Everything about this sword is unfamiliar to me (checkerboard wooden hilt, rounded tip, blade). But at the same time seems familiar.

Can anyone guess where or when it might have come from? Any other thoughts?

Regards...
    -Namir

Nabir,

Let me know when the auction is over. Then we can resume discussing this sword.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Auction is over. Unfortunately, my router crasher a minute before the auction ended, so I will not be the proud owner of this blade.

blade looks Caucasian, like a shashka but handle is very diffirent. maybe a modern handle on a traditonal blade?

I know the guy who bought it, he is just as in the dark as you are about its origins.

But the concensus is that it is either some type of Berber varient, or some kind of Indo-Malay or other South-East Asian piece.

I'll let you know if someone figures out what it is.
    Click on my website to see my gallery of blades that have a recurve. I've also got a gallery of historical Gunblades in there too.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v405/NinjaNerd321/Gunblades/
    ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Manouchehr M. View Post
    Nabir,

Let me know when the auction is over. Then we can resume discussing this sword.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Please pardon my ignorance, but why can't you discuss the sword while the auction is going on? Wouldn't the buyer need to know some information about the item before bidding on it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Man View Post
    Please pardon my ignorance, but why can't you discuss the sword while the auction is going on? Wouldn't the buyer need to know some information about the item before bidding on it?

Thanks

Kevin,

We as SFI do not wish to interfere in business transactions at all. Therefore, any running auctions could be discussed only after the auction is over. This is our policy.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Thanks for clarifying Manouchehr!

It makes me think Malaysia or Sumatra, but there is not much to go on. Are there any marks on the blade? Is there any pattern in the steel?
    Josh

Here are 2 more pictures. I thinkt here MIGHT be a pattern on the blade, but am not sure.
    Sancar, I think it's a good guess, but the blade is a little more curved that I would expect on a shashka.

For some reason, this design speaks to me of a horseman's sword (no hilt, fuller for extra strength, and no point). So it's clearly not a thrusting weapon, but a cutting weapon.

Thanks for all your comments! I look forward to other brainstorms. The shape of the handle seems very distinct to me, especially the upturned end.

Thanks for close-up photos. this handle fascinates me! it doesn't look like anything I saw before, yet it is familiar; a real enigma!

For some reason, it looks African to me. Something about the hilt ornamentation and overall look, perhaps.
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
    Leonardo da Vinci

"A little science estranges men from God, but much science leads them back to Him."
    Louis Pasteur

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Namir Gharaibeh View Post
    <snip>
    For some reason, this design speaks to me of a horseman's sword (no hilt, fuller for extra strength, and no point). So it's clearly not a thrusting weapon, but a cutting weapon.<snip>
    With all due respect, sir, a fuller is not for extra strength, but rather for reducing the weight without excessivly weakening the blade. An un-fullered blade will always be stronger.
    Fullering is also sometimes used (by japanese smiths) to remove or hide flaws.
    Jerry "The Dinosaur" Mings
    Þorbjörn the Mad

"Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."
    Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama