Thread: What is your favorite kattar or Jamdhar Katari?

What is your favorite kattar or Jamdhar Katari?

The design of this weapon from India is really astnoshing. I think it provides one of the best ways to deliver a solid piercing in close-quarter combats. Truly astonosing.

Mine is simple and definitely a crucible steel blade

By courtesy of Oriental Arms

This is a quality 18 Century Armor piercing Katar push dagger, forged from very nice Persian wootz (Damascus) steel. The edges are left unetched and polished in order to enhance the wootz pattern. The blade is 9 ˝ inches long, 3 inches wide. The two cross bars provide the holding and the 9 inches side bars protects the fist from a side sword hit.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hey Manouchehr,

thatīs a very nice Katar! Itīs all one piece, isnīt it?
    Iīve always liked those, and maybe Iīll be able to forge one (or rather a matching pair) myself some time soon. But thereīs also Katar with riveted blades, arenīt there? Maybe you can give me a link to Katar-construction or something?
    Also, can you tell me if a Katar can also be used for slicing actions, or if itīs thrust only?
    And lastly, can you tell me how your first name is pronounced properly? Everytime I read a post of yours itīs bothering me that I have no idea how to "think out" your name.
    OK, enough silly questions for now.

Cheers, Peter
    What if the bird will not sing?
    Nobunaga answers, "Kill it!"
    Hideyoshi answers, "Make it want to sing."
    Ieyasu answers, "Wait."

Member of Ochs

Hey, is that a demonic duck of some sorts?!?

Hi Peter,

Yes I think it is forged of one piece. Do you forge blades? That is really great to hear. Forging blades gives one lots of insight about the mechanics of a weapon. There are also katars made of two different parts of course. Sorry I have no link, but you can ask my friends Greg Thomas Obach and Richrad Furrer, both are excellent smiths and can help you. They are regulars at SFI and surely will join in soon.

I saw Gatka demonstrations and there they use katar for slicing as well for sure.

My name in German way is pronounced this way:

Manutschehr

Just follow German pronounciation rules and that is exactly how Manouchehr is pronounced. Thank you very much for your input on the katar.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Rieder View Post
    Hey Manouchehr,

thatīs a very nice Katar! Itīs all one piece, isnīt it?
    Iīve always liked those, and maybe Iīll be able to forge one (or rather a matching pair) myself some time soon. But thereīs also Katar with riveted blades, arenīt there? Maybe you can give me a link to Katar-construction or something?
    Also, can you tell me if a Katar can also be used for slicing actions, or if itīs thrust only?
    And lastly, can you tell me how your first name is pronounced properly? Everytime I read a post of yours itīs bothering me that I have no idea how to "think out" your name.
    OK, enough silly questions for now.

Cheers, Peter

Hey Manutschehr (just kidding ),

cool, I was almost right the whole time guessing the prononciation, thanks for clearing that up.
    Yes, when I have the opportunity, which occurs unfortunately only twice a year or so for a few weeks, I try myself at forging things, mostly sharp and pointies. I have so far forged three knives, a spearhead, a long dagger and some arrowheads.
    BTW, thank you for bringing all those magnificent blades to or attention, theyīre always a sight to behold!

Cheers again, Peter
    What if the bird will not sing?
    Nobunaga answers, "Kill it!"
    Hideyoshi answers, "Make it want to sing."
    Ieyasu answers, "Wait."

Member of Ochs

Hey, is that a demonic duck of some sorts?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Rieder View Post
    Hey Manutschehr (just kidding ),

cool, I was almost right the whole time guessing the prononciation, thanks for clearing that up.
    Yes, when I have the opportunity, which occurs unfortunately only twice a year or so for a few weeks, I try myself at forging things, mostly sharp and pointies. I have so far forged three knives, a spearhead, a long dagger and some arrowheads.
    BTW, thank you for bringing all those magnificent blades to or attention, theyīre always a sight to behold!

Cheers again, Peter

Thank you very much Peter for your kind words. I would love to see your kives.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

I just like to be different....
    Click on my website to see my gallery of blades that have a recurve. I've also got a gallery of historical Gunblades in there too.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v405/NinjaNerd321/Gunblades/
    ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Thompson View Post
    I just like to be different....
    Joe

That is really fascinating. Is that handle original to the kattar? Do you have more pictures to share.

KInd regards

Manouchehr

While I'm not familiar with all of the various forms of the kattar I am partial to the hooded designs like this one from Oriental Arms.

I'd post the pictures directly, but I'm not sure how.
    "The truth shall make ye fret."

One of my favorite kinds of "dagger" (I guess), I've always wanted one but have never found a nice piece within my price range.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Padgett View Post
    While I'm not familiar with all of the various forms of the kattar I am partial to the hooded designs like this one from Oriental Arms.

I'd post the pictures directly, but I'm not sure how.

Here are the pics.

By courtesy of Oriental Arms

Quote Originally Posted by Manouchehr M. View Post
    Joe

That is really fascinating. Is that handle original to the kattar? Do you have more pictures to share.

KInd regards

Manouchehr
    As far as I can tell, this was a completely original piece. Unfortunately, I did not save any other pictures.
    Click on my website to see my gallery of blades that have a recurve. I've also got a gallery of historical Gunblades in there too.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v405/NinjaNerd321/Gunblades/
    ^_^

I own only one old Katar, so this one is my favorite. Not wootz, but good carbon steel, as shown by the etch.

Steve

Thanks Steve for sharing. It should be a solid blade. Do you see traces of koftegari on it?

Thanks very nice.

Kind regards

Manouchher

Quote Originally Posted by Manouchehr M. View Post
    Thanks Steve for sharing. It should be a solid blade. Do you see traces of koftegari on it?

Thanks very nice.

Kind regards

Manouchher
    Thanks Manouchher,
    Yes, there are faint traces of gold. You can see them very faintly in the second picture.

Very interesting daggers, these.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ferguson View Post
    Thanks Manouchher,
    Yes, there are faint traces of gold. You can see them very faintly in the second picture.

Very interesting daggers, these.

Steve
    Yes Steve I see that. Really nice.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

I'd have to say this one is my fave...although there are several more ornate ones in Hindu Arms & Ritual that are in stiff competition against it...there's a katar in it with the hood in the shape of a peacock that's quite beautiful.
    "We are all imprisoned by the dictionary. We choose out of that vast, paper-walled prison our convicts, the little black printed words, when in truth we need fresh sounds to utter, new enfranchised noises which would produce a new effect."
    — Mervyn Peake