Thread: Classification of Pommel Types for the Dao

Classification of Pommel Types for the Dao

Are there any studies that specifically look at pommel types for the variety of dao available throughout Chinese history? Is this something that has been spread all over articles? Again, this would be helpful for modern practitioners of Chinese sword arts and academic study.

Sincerely,

Doug Mullane

Call All Dao Users!

Do you have different pictures of different types of pommels? Post them here please! Just as they are important in Oakeshott's study of European medieval swords, pommels are also important here.

Any pictures are welcome!

Sincerely,

Doug Mullane

Hi Doug,

That is an excellent question. I am sure that we will be able to collect some materials to come up with a reliable database.

Courtesy of Oriental Arms
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Strange Pommel

Here is a strange pommel that was posted in the old Chinese sword forum that still remains, well, strange. Supposedly, thre are coins inside the pommel. This use of sound or moving items in swords reminds me of shamshirs that have either metal balls or beads inside the blade--I wonder if there is any connection between these ideas. Surely, various cultures must have used moving objects inside sword blades.

Sincerely,

Doug Mullane
    Attached Images Attached Images    

There are two main types of pommels found on Chinese sabers. These are the fangshi (angular style) and the yuanshi round style. Scabbards also come in those two types matching the fittings. The examples above are two variants of yuanshi fittings. The first are typical brass military fittings, and the second are iron fittings made by a village smith. The yuanshi fittings are usually associated with 19th century weapons. Fangshi fittings are usually of iron, paired with iron guards but do not indicate village manufacture. They are usually found on pieces from the 18th century or earlier, when cast fittings were not used.

Here is a typical example of fangshi fittings showing traces of gold decoration indicating use on an officer's saber.
    Josh

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j6...duation266.jpg