Thread: Faris Training Books?

Faris Training Books?

I was talking with a friend recently about sword and buckler training in Medieval Europe.

He mentioned he had heard about early Medieval texts in Arabic that were called Faris books for the training of soldiers some of which mention the use of sword and buckler.

Does anyone on this forum know of these books? If so are any of them translated into English?

Thanks,

Allen
    Gallowglass Academy
    www.GallowglassAcademy.org

Hi Allen,

Thank you for your input. Have you checked the threads on Furisiyya on archived forum?

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Reed View Post
    I was talking with a friend recently about sword and buckler training in Medieval Europe.

He mentioned he had heard about early Medieval texts in Arabic that were called Faris books for the training of soldiers some of which mention the use of sword and buckler.

Does anyone on this forum know of these books? If so are any of them translated into English?

Thanks,

Allen

Archives?

Quote Originally Posted by Manouchehr M. View Post
    Hi Allen,

Thank you for your input. Have you checked the threads on Furisiyya on archived forum?

Kind regards

Manouchehr
    No, because I only had the term Faris. I will now go back and look under the word you jsts gave me.

Thanks,

Allen
    Gallowglass Academy
    www.GallowglassAcademy.org

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Reed View Post
    No, because I only had the term Faris. I will now go back and look under the word you jsts gave me.

Thanks,

Allen
    Allen

Do you have the book Islamic Arms and Armour by Elgood. There is a chapter "Muslim Warfare: a Study of a Medieval Muslim Treatise on the Art of War" by Geogffrey Tantum. That is a very good article. I will post more later.

Kind regards

Manouchehr