Thread: Where to find fittings for Chinese-style bare blades?

Where to find fittings for Chinese-style bare blades?

Hi all,

I'm new to the world of Chinese and Chinese-style swords, so apologies in advance for this beginner-type question, which is...

Where can one get appropriate fittings to either refit an antique bare blade, or mount up a newly made blade?

In the Japanese-style sword world there are a multitude of suppliers to help a person do just this, but after a little looking, I'm not finding their Chinese counterparts.

Using the SFI Search function - always a good idea - I have so far found these suggestions:

-- One person used Huang Chao Dynasty Armory, on eBay. They have some blades, but no fittings-- at least at the moment.

-- Another recommended contacting www.mandarinmansion.com for spare Huanuo parts. The proprietors though are currently in China.

-- Kenneth, H. seemed to imply that Zheng Wu might have some fittings, but this is not a regular thing and they would be pricey.

--Phil Tom seems to occasionally make simple fittings from scratch, but on a one off basis.

Any other ideas?

Specifically, I'm looking for fittings for a jian and a willow-leaf.

Thanks for your help everybody.

Sevenstars Trading also sells fittings for sabers.

Long Quan city, Zhejiang province, China.
    Quote Originally Posted by L.S. Lawrence View Post
    -- Kenneth, H. seemed to imply that Zheng Wu might have some fittings, but this is not a regular thing and they would be pricey.
    Thats right. Fittings that we make from scratch are made pr. sword only. Other standardized fittings that are produced by companies specializing in that very area is bough in the same quantity as the quantity of the swords we expect to have finished that very month.

I can make this happen, if a fellow forumite is in really need of fittings. We wouldn't earn a dime off it though. I cant do this in a large scale, but I guess I could give a helping hand to one or a few people in the sword forum comunity.

Price would perhaps be an issue, yes. The lost wax fittings would cost about 60-70 USD. That is the price with no profit added to it. And shipping would probably be around 30USD with EMS world wide express mail service.

Perhaps ordering through Scott M. Rodell who is actually offers the fittings would be a good idea. The fittings look pretty nice as well.

Best regards, Kenneth A.H.
    I study at:
    Long Quan Zheng Wu Knife & Sword Forge.
    I work at:
    Zheng Wu Knife & Sword Company.
    Qing Zhong Knife & Sword Company.
    Exclusive Porcelain.

Quote Originally Posted by Yu-Ming C. View Post
    Sevenstars Trading also sells fittings for sabers.
    Hello Yu-Ming C,

Much obliged for the referral! It appears all roads in this community eventually lead to Mr. Rodell! I'll give those fittings a good hard look.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth, H. View Post
    Thats right....I can make this happen, if a fellow forumite is in really need of fittings. We wouldn't earn a dime off it though. I cant do this in a large scale, but I guess I could give a helping hand to one or a few people in the sword forum comunity.

Price would perhaps be an issue, yes. The lost wax fittings would cost about 60-70 USD. That is the price with no profit added to it. And shipping would probably be around 30USD with EMS world wide express mail service.

Hi Kenneth,

I wanted to extend a public "thank you" for your kind offer. My project is still in the formative stages, so I will hold off from a pm to discuss details, at least for the moment.

I may however recontact you in a bit, off the forum of course...

All best,

LS Lawrence

Another recommended contacting www.mandarinmansion.com for spare Huanuo parts. The proprietors though are currently in China.
    I'm one of the two proprietors and am not yet in China.

If we are in China business goes on as usual. The only thing different is that people can't stop to look at swords at our location in Holland. At the moment we don't have fittings, though.

I'll be in Beijing for 6 months starting from next week, one of my objectives is to find a good fitting supplier.

-Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dekker View Post
    ...I'll be in Beijing for 6 months starting from next week, one of my objectives is to find a good fitting supplier.
    I wish you the best of luck.

If you are successful in being able to offer a decent variety of quality fittings, my guess is you will eventually do well with them.

[If I can indulge in a moment of speculation, I suspect that one of the reasons so many people currently remount and personalize Japanese-style blades as a hobby is because they can, because the parts are readily available. Conversely, one of the factors causing people to do relatively less work on Chinese-style blades may be that the parts are in fact so hard to get. But, give them access to the parts, make the completion of such "home improvement" projects a realistic possibility, less daunting, and more folks may start to switch over, or at least broaden their interests. As I said, this is just speculation. I recognize there may be much more to it... ]

Hi,

If you are successful in being able to offer a decent variety of quality fittings, my guess is you will eventually do well with them.
    Hope so! There some demand for them indeed.

[If I can indulge in a moment of speculation, I suspect that one of the reasons so many people currently remount and personalize Japanese-style blades as a hobby is because they can, because the parts are readily available.
    I think you're largely right.

Another factor is that Japanese swords were traditionally made to be easy to dissasemble and thus switching tsuba's and other parts is something that has been done for a long time already. Chinese swords, with their (traditionally) peened tang, did't come apart so easily so in the old days it was less likely to change fittings a lot because it meant filing down the end of the tang and thus shortening the weapon with a few millimeters each time you change something. However, the better Chinese reproductions almost always come with a nut at the end of the tang and are as easy to take apart as Japanese swords.

-Peter

Hey Peter-

Good luck in your search. As you say, a good source of fittings would be a survice and probably make you a little money While you are looking, could you investigate the hollow pegs that many antiques have? Most reproduction fittings don't include a hollow peg, even though most antiques come with a hole in the tang.
    Thanks,
    Josh