Thread: Sword ID help..

Sword ID help..

I bought this many years ago and was told it was purchased in PI during the late 50s??
    It measures 14" Blade and 21.75"oal..
    Any help on this would be great
    thanks
    Brad

Hi Brad,
    Does the tang go all the way through the hilt and is then riveted over? How thick is the blade at its thickest point and is the grip made of wood of horn? Is the ferrell brass and is it cast in one piece or is it soldered together? Looks like it might have been made in or around Luzon BWDIK. Is the blade tapered on one or both sides? I'd call it a Bolo until someone else comes along with one more definite. Could you post better pictures? Sorry for not being of much help.

Robert
    No brains, no headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert M. Coleman View Post
    Hi Brad,
    Does the tang go all the way through the hilt and is then riveted over? How thick is the blade at its thickest point and is the grip made of wood of horn? Is the ferrell brass and is it cast in one piece or is it soldered together? Looks like it might have been made in or around Luzon BWDIK. Is the blade tapered on one or both sides? I'd call it a Bolo until someone else comes along with one more definite. Could you post better pictures? Sorry for not being of much help.

Robert
    Yeah, definitely looks like a bolo from Luzon (the northern region of the phillipines). I'm not so sure what blade style that is either though.

it is a Northern or Luzon bolo...the shape of which could be attributed to Andress Bonifacio-a Katipunero (fought against the Spanish).

Quote Originally Posted by Robert M. Coleman View Post
    Hi Brad,

Robert
    Thanks for all the Info the blade goes all the way thru and handle is wood..
    The Ferrel is cast Brass in one piece . The Blade is about 3/16 thick..
    Thier is no markings on it though I am trying to find out how old it is??
    I am thinking of selling it but want to get an idea if it worth any thing..
    About 20yrs ago I sold a sword (Katana) that I was told was worth $150 from gunshow dealer so I sold it but found out he resold same day for almost 2k live and learn..
    I have been using this as to clear brush for a long time and never thought much about it ..
    Thanks A bunch
    Brad