Thread: Interesting Blade Overall!

Interesting Blade Overall!

Courtesy of Alex Hunagfu.

What do you think about this dao?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

More pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The blade is nice, but the handle seems a little... stumpy, I guess: too thick and too short. I think retention would be difficult while fighting or doing forms with it.
    -Mercy to the wolf is cruelty to the sheep.
    -Those who turn their swords into plowshares often end up plowing the fields of those who did not.

I echo Stephen's sentiments. I have big hands and I have problems handling a lot of swords made for people with smaller hands. One could always rehilt it though.

The blade is of the yanmao type which would normally have the fangshi type pommel. My guess is that the handle is a late Qing replacement on a nice blade.
    Josh

I really really like this Dao, but the handle throws me off. I almost bought it once but got scared it would become a wall hanger to lack of use...

You hit the point

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Renico View Post
    The blade is nice, but the handle seems a little... stumpy, I guess: too thick and too short. I think retention would be difficult while fighting or doing forms with it.
    I must agree the blade is very impresive. But the handle is not an original one, at least the wooden part. This kind of wood, which is with fairly coarse grain, was not a type of wood that would be considered as a suitable material be a handle. But the wood is popular now in China as a replacement due to the shortage of traditional one.

Greeting from Beijing!

Lijun

Hi Lijun,

Could you explain more about why this type of wood is "a suitable material be a handle"?

Hi Doug,

I meant the handle is not of a traditional suitable wood. In the past, Chinese prefer rosewood, which is of various tropical or semitropical leguminous trees of the generaTipuana, Pterocarpus, or Dalbergia, having hard reddish or dark wood with a strongly marked grain.

Now we are running out of rosewood and it is very costly in the market.So people are using some replacement,which looks like rosewood. The wood of this dao looks nice. But it is from trees grow much faster than rosewood tree. It is not in the same quality as traditional rosewood, though it looks like some kind of rosewood.

I wish my English would not confuse you too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Lijun Y View Post
    It is not in the same quality as traditional rosewood, though it looks like some kind of rosewood.

I wish my English would not confuse you too much!

Hi Lijun,

There is acually no confusion over English usage--you are fine in that regard. I am wondering what specific qualities (other than color or grain) that makes this type of wood is "not a type of wood that would be considered as a suitable material be a handle." Is it too soft? It is too difficult to work with? What speciifcally makes this type of wood "not suitable material" in this instance?

Thanks.

Hi Doug,

Ok, I try to give some ideas. It would a reasonable thinking for people to use materials that could match the blade as fittings and handles. So people use durable and beautiful material like horns, ivorys, and rare woods, etc. Regarding the wood of this Dao, it has much less interlaced grains. So it is easy to be broken in to straight pieces or form burrs. The reason of this is: the wood from trees grow much faster than traditional rosewoods, which need over 100 year to be a right size could be used.

I wish I answered a bit of your questions

I am not trying to say that the handle of this Dao would shatter soon, especially considering the structure of it( that also makes it looks a bit stumpy while stable). I raised the question merely as a evidence that the handle might not be original. If people had more choice, they might use a more popular traditional rosewood.

This leads me to wonder if there was ever an expected "shelf life" of wooden handles. Would they be expected to be replaced after X years? Would they be expected to last for the owner's lifetime?

I think the structure of the swords give us the clues of your quetion. For a Japanese swords, it is fairly easy to disassemble their sowrds to do maintenance.

For the structure of this Dao, it would be different story to me. The handle was riveted at tail and the owner himself would never expect to disassemble his sword by himself, unless he is a smith himself. Many western swords are in the same structure with wooden handle. I think people would expect this kind of wooden handle work as long as the blades work.